Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband Install Difficulty

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wideband Install Difficulty

I know that might get my head ripped off by people saying to search, but i have done that for over an hour. I am considering on either getting myself the AEM Wideband gauge or one of the Innovative models. Im not planning on getting Hptuners or any sort of tuning software anytime soon. I want to be able to see how my car is running and rather spend the money now on a Wideband. My question is, can a wideband gauge be installed and put in a piller and run like a narrowband gauge? Basically no tuning purposes just have their while i drive/race my car i can see where my AFR is at. I noticed some threads mentioning that condensation can mess up the sensor, and not to have it plugged in all the time or something of that nature. I just wanted someone to clear that up before spend the money on a wideband, only to find out i can't have it running all the time. Thanks for the help/info.
-Joel
Old 05-14-2008, 01:57 AM
On The Tree

So long as the sensor is mounted above horizontal, to where the tip is not at the bottom half of the pipe where condensation sits, it will be fine.

The AEM Eugo is ridiculous easy to install. Two plugs into the back of the gauge. One plug goes to a plug which snaps into the o2 sensor pigtail. The other plug has a ground and a switched 12 volt power, thats it. The other wires with the power/ground are if you wish to datalog (outputs).

The Innovate is also really simple.

Yes, the gauge can be mounted in the A pillar.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:56 AM
TECH Addict

Oh ok so basically since i don't plan on data logging anything i just need to plug the sensor wiring into the back of the gauge, run the power, and set-up the ground and i should be set correct?
-Joel
Old 05-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

You are correct. I have a PLX that I use for data logging, but prior to getting HPTuners I was setup the same way. Just plug the O2 sensor into the module, gauge to the module and power it up. If the AEM doesn't use a module then sensor to gauge and power and ground. Do it up!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Oh ok so basically since i don't plan on data logging anything i just need to plug the sensor wiring into the back of the gauge, run the power, and set-up the ground and i should be set correct?
-Joel
Yep, thats it! I was nervous about my first wideband install (on my other car) but after I got it done I was amazed at just how easy it was.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Awesome, thanks for the help guys.
-Joel
Old 05-26-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Well i ordered myself the Innovative LC1 Wideband with the red digital DB gauge. It looks real cool, and should look awesome lit up with my red digital fuel pressure gauge. One thing i noticed is the Innovative gauge comes with a red LED and a red momentary switch. Do i need to install that with the gauge as well, it seems to me its for data logging but i could be wrong. Also how did you guys wire your gauge, it says i need a switched 12volt source, and to wire it to my gauges as well. How/where did you wire your gauges to. Thanks.
-Joel
Old 05-28-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Anybody?
-Joel
Old 05-28-2008, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Anybody?
-Joel
The momentary switch and led are used as indicators telling you when the wideband has warmed up and is safe to operate, I have mine inside the ashtray lid tucked away.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Oh ok so basically its to let you know when you can start up your car without damaging the sensor? And what about the momentary switch, do i need to install that even though im just going to use it as a gauge and not for data logging?
-Joel
Old 05-28-2008, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mean the little red push button? You'll need to install it to activate the led and check O2 status.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Oh ok so that must go in with the LED so that everything functions properly.
-Joel
Old 11-11-2008, 07:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickF
So long as the sensor is mounted above horizontal, to where the tip is not at the bottom half of the pipe where condensation sits, it will be fine.

The AEM Eugo is ridiculous easy to install. Two plugs into the back of the gauge. One plug goes to a plug which snaps into the o2 sensor pigtail. The other plug has a ground and a switched 12 volt power, thats it. The other wires with the power/ground are if you wish to datalog (outputs).

The Innovate is also really simple.

Yes, the gauge can be mounted in the A pillar.
I'm not seeing how it installs into the pigtail. Could someone explain this to me? Also I don't have my battery hooked up so I cant see where to hook up the switched source, could someone point me in the right direction?