Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't know where to go.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't know where to go.

I recently bought a 98 Z28. The previous owner had done a few things that I can tell of so far. descreened MAF, very poor job, touched it up myself yesterday, free ram air, seems to be 3:73 gears, fan switch, oh yeah another question quick, did these things copme stock with aluminum drive shaft? Anyway, back to the original question. I live in Virginia Beach, VA and don't know of anywhwere that I can get this thing tuned up right. I'm kind of hesitant yet to buy any of these self tuning things since I don't know a lot about it yet. Also about how much does it cost to bring it somewhere and have them tune it for you? I appologize for the side track just don't know a whole lot about it yet except what I have learned on here. Which everyone has been a great help so far and I really appreciate it. Thanx.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Don't know where to go.

They all had the aluminum driveshaft except for the A4 cars with the 2.73 axle. All M6 cars (3.42 axle) and the A4 cars with the optional 3.23 gears had the aluminum shaft.

As far as tuning. There is really nothing to be done except a new set of plugs. Having the PCM reprogrammed is not neccesary until a large cam is installed.

Change out the fuel filter.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you just bought it I would do a few other things since you don't know how it has been treated. I would change out all the fluids, oil, PS, rear end, brake, radiator, etc. I would also check the belts and hoses to make sure it's not going to leave you on the side of the road. Last I would pull the brakes and make sure you have plenty of pad left. Those are just a few things I do with a used car. Also like Tin Indian said I would change the plugs and the wires unless you know they are new. Good luck and welcome to the LS1!
Old 08-18-2003, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Some of the things I have noticed so far is that the right rear sags a lot taking off. I need new rotors and pads (my fault, these rotors don't seem to like slowing this car down going REALLY fast)I changed the oil already, I still need to change the radiator fluid, it doesn't have dexcool in it anymore, is that something that I should put back in or is it too late? I'm deffinately going to change the rear end juice too. I'm guessing that it has been abused a little by the way the right rear spring is almost completely shot. The plugs are going to be changed out soon. I hear a lot about the what are they tr55's? What kind of wires should I use? Thanx
Old 08-18-2003, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use the msd 8.5 mm super conductor wires, use the tr55 plugs from ngk. i use mobil 1 rear end fluid adn dexcool in the radiator. i would definatly do a good flush with about 20 gallons of water. just run that through the system. i did that at my work on the radiator machine and then flushed about 20 qrts of dex through. on the aluminum block and heads you wanna run dex, thats what its made for. as for plugs and wires go to any of the sponsors and jsut look for the best deals. i think ls1speed has the cheapest for the plugs and im not sure on the wires.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didnt know much about tuning either until i got it and had to deal with it. its pretty frustrating trying to get it all right but on the other hand i have learned a lot and im only one step away from makin the car running right and thats fuel at WOT. its really not too bad with the predator you just tell them whats going on with your car and they will adjust for you. it also doubles as a obd scan tool so you can save a lot of money, even make some. i saved 140 bucks from having to go to the deal and i made about 250 doing diagnostics for other people...its really nice lol
Old 08-18-2003, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

They all had the aluminum driveshaft except for the A4 cars with the 2.73 axle. All M6 cars (3.42 axle) and the A4 cars with the optional 3.23 gears had the aluminum shaft.

My Y2KZ28 M6 3.42 gears has a steel shaft. Recently, after much hashing, it was decided that cars with Z rated tires got the aluminum driveshafts. Or something like that. A search should turn the thread up.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

So if I was to get a tuning tool, which one would be best? HPPIII, Predator, ls1 edit, what other ones are there and what does each one let you do?