PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

98 questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 questions

Before some smart *** reminds me where the search button is, I know I tried and couldn't find the answers I am looking for.
Anyway, my questions are as follows. Gauging from what I read the 98 has to be manually tuned, example no hand helds. Therefore I would have to find a shop that does this.
1. Is it worth getting a tune with just a catback and lid, and if so what potential gains would I see?
Within the next year I plan on doing a T/C, DR's or LT's ORY or both. So would I be better off to wait until then to get a tune?
Also what gains would I see at that point?
And finally what exactly can be tuned performance wise on my car? (air,fuel timing?) The last time I tuned a car it was with a screwdriver and a timing light haha. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

1. Is it worth getting a tune with just a catback and lid, and if so what potential gains would I see?
Ehh, I would wait. LT's will gain you about 15-20 rwhp.

And finally what exactly can be tuned performance wise on my car? (air,fuel timing?) The last time I tuned a car it was with a screwdriver and a timing light haha. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks
First, keep the timing light and screwdriver far away from this car.
I'm not a fan of handheld's. I use EFIlive which is a software editing program loaded on a laptop. It has a robust scan tool that can monitor all of the factory sensor outputs. It can edit virtually of the factory parameters that control all fuel and spark tables, idle airflow and the transmission tables as well. It's the key that allows me to drive a 402 ci engine with 11.8 compression, large cam and 5000 stall converter (with overdrive) on the street and at the track with good results.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all you can get a handheld for your 98. I had a Hypertech in a 98 Z28 I had and used to have a superchips for the vette. BUT, do yourself a favor and don't wast your money, they are worthless. A real tune is the way to go. My sister has a 98 Z28 that is all stock other than a flowmoster muffler. She drove it for a while and then asked me to do a tune on it with my EFI Live. After the tune she went from 25mpg up to 29. I didn't really feel a huge gain in performance but 4mpg was pretty good I thought. It did help the tranny alot though. If you could fine a buddy around that has EFI Live they can do a nice street tune and it won't cost ya much. 97-98 cars don't require a liscense to tune.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

Ok so if I got a tune now with just a lid and catback the gains wouldn't justify the cost, as opposed to what I'll pick up on LT's and a ORY? Besides after the exhaust I can remove the egr and a.i.r and have them tuned out as well as the rear o2's. Just one more question.
What approx. gains in power would I see from a tune after those mods? Is it like 5%,10% in that range? I'll assume all cars respond differently and mabye depends on the tuner as well.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not spend $500+ for a dyno tune with the mods you have now, I would find somebody around you with EFI Live or HP tuners and pay them maybe 100 bucks. Now if you get headers and such it wouldn't be so bad. I guess wouldn't even spend the 500 at all unless it was cammed and the works.. I would say with headers and a good tune you should see 25-30 HP
Old 08-30-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Thank MV thats what I was trying to figure out, It's about $600 for a dyno tune around me. I'll wait until the headers and or stall are in.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

When you do get a tune...MAKE SURE THEY DONT ERASE THE PRODUCTION CODE FOR THE 98 PCM AND PUT A NEWER ON IN THERE.. it will mess you trans up aslong with other things...Ask me how i know..???
Old 09-01-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
When you do get a tune...MAKE SURE THEY DONT ERASE THE PRODUCTION CODE FOR THE 98 PCM AND PUT A NEWER ON IN THERE.. it will mess you trans up aslong with other things...Ask me how i know..???
How do you know??
Old 09-01-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Had it happen to me.. Had my trans burn up 3rd and 4th within 100 miles.