Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

160* thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 160* thermostat?

I have a 2001 trans am, live in central ohio, I only drive it in the summer time any ways I was wondering if 160* thermostat is a good investment or just a waste of money! please explain pros/cons thanks.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Not a good idea. The cooler temperature merely keeps the motor in the cold loop. The computer thinks the motor is still in the warm up stage and enriches the mixture. It is much better to get a good tune where the mixture enriches under WOT for instance instead of operating continually in the cold loop.

The correct operating temperature prevents combustion chamber carbon build up, and also allows the oil to evacuate crankcase water vapor correctly. It is similar to partially choking a carburetored motor to increase performance. Ok, when cold but not a good idea when at operating temperature. Do not do it.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:52 AM
Teching In

Yes rednari is correct even though is will seem to run better the result of moisture in the oil and carbon build up isnt worth it.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:37 AM
On The Tree

I use a 160 degree thermostat and have no issues whatsoever. If your driving the car in a cold enviornment then what was said above might apply. But if not... then lower operating temps would keep detonation down and a cooler engine will make more power. The cooler temp woud just keep the engine in "cold loop" for a longer period of time after start up, but then would go into "open loop" once the engine warms up. The engine would not stay in cold loop the whole time just because of the 160 degree thermostat. If you only drive the car during warm weather then I say get. Of course a tune will make better use of it.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:43 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in Hawaii, in the year round warm weather you don't have to worry about staying in the cold loop with a 160* t-stat cause the motor will warm up into open loop regardless, it's normal operating temp will come down a bit though. Like SINISTER-TA said, I think this would be an issue only if driving in an enviroment where it gets cold enough that it keeps your car stuck in the cold loop.

Quick Reply: 160* thermostat?