Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

CAn anyone help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAn anyone help

Well I'm going to knock this project this coming weekend, and was wondering if someone knew a sight I can go for detail information.

I bought a Trans Am Hatch and I'm removing the firebird hatch. is there a place where I can go where I can see how to do so .
Old 11-09-2009, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if anyone has done a write up on it but it's ont very hard to do at all.
It'd be good to have an extra set of hands to help you, but I pretty much swapped mine out by myself. Sit in your back seat and remove the headliner a little bit hear the hatch. Loosen the hinge bolts and then unplug the wires you see (power defogger). You're going to need to pull the wiring out so it can be removed with the hatch all at once. Also there's a ground that's a little further towards the center of the roof, so don't forget to undo that one.

Now undo the hatch struts (this is where the extra set of hands/buddy comes in handy) and be careful as the hatch gets REALLY heavy w/o the struts support. Undo the hinges, and remove. Replacing it with the TA hatch is opposite of removal. Just know you might have to get new struts since your bird struts wont be able to support the new heavier hatch.
Good luck!