Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

How much can is this 76 worth?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How much can is this 76 worth?

Hey guys, its along story but I'll try to shorten it. My Dad bought a 1976 TA brand new off the show room floor. He modded it with heavy chrome back in the day and took to car shows. Well anyway he wanted it factory again and along time ago like 25 years ago he took it apart and started restoring it to factory. He never finished it though. He got as far as repainting the car with the factory black color about 13 years ago. He also sent the motor and trans out to get freshend up but they where stolen "wich is a whole nother story". Any way, the car now has been sitting on jack stands but it has the following factory reproduced parts on it. Wheels,tires,shocks and battery just to name a few of the top of my head. It needs just a motor and tranny to be done and also the factory interior needs to be put back in. The car has one flaw in the paint wich is the rear bumper it has a crack in the paint just from age. They all done this from my understanding... We dont want to sell it but times are tough and it may come down to it for my Pops. So what can we get for it in the condition its in and what could we get for it if we finish it up? Oh and we still have the bill of sale. By the way it came with a 400 block and auto tranny from the factory and has around 60k on the clock. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Anyone?
Old 11-04-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Unfortunately, without an engine or trans, it's pretty much a "parts car" on the market. I had a '76 455-4-spd w/ a cracked-up front end, firewall back was OK, but it needed a new subframe, clip, fenders, core support, bumper, hood and grill. Engine and trans was still running fine, but couldn't drive it far w/o a radiator. Sold it, WITH all the new parts above to put it back together to a buddy for $1000 ~6 yrs ago, I think he turned it over a made a few bucks, but not alot. If your shell is in really good shape as you described needing just the engine and trans, you might be able to sell it for $2200 to the right buyer, but I doubt you'd get any more than that. Probably closer to $1500.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have pictures
Old 11-05-2009, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default My $0.02...

ebay it - it's really hit or miss.

If someone or maybe even two or three guys decide they want it, then you're 'project' may go for more than you thought, but if the market remains consistant, you might not get beyond that $1,500.

I almost purchased a 'complete' 68 Firebird back in the Bush recession for $1,000 - the one problem - it was in a number of boxes - 100% disassembled.

(All you've got to lose is the listing fee...)

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
Hey guys, its along story but I'll try to shorten it. My Dad bought a 1976 TA brand new off the show room floor. He modded it with heavy chrome back in the day and took to car shows. Well anyway he wanted it factory again and along time ago like 25 years ago he took it apart and started restoring it to factory. He never finished it though. He got as far as repainting the car with the factory black color about 13 years ago. He also sent the motor and trans out to get freshend up but they where stolen "wich is a whole nother story". Any way, the car now has been sitting on jack stands but it has the following factory reproduced parts on it. Wheels,tires,shocks and battery just to name a few of the top of my head. It needs just a motor and tranny to be done and also the factory interior needs to be put back in. The car has one flaw in the paint wich is the rear bumper it has a crack in the paint just from age. They all done this from my understanding... We dont want to sell it but times are tough and it may come down to it for my Pops. So what can we get for it in the condition its in and what could we get for it if we finish it up? Oh and we still have the bill of sale. By the way it came with a 400 block and auto tranny from the factory and has around 60k on the clock. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 452 Likes on 327 Posts

I think ebay is a good idea as well unless you want to drop a new engine and tranny in it yourself. You would probably never get your money back though. The big PLUS going for it would be for the professional restorers out there. Imagine one of them buying your car, refurbishing the project and proudly proclaiming about their documented ONE OWNER restored car with fresh engine and tranny. Nice!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

Hey guys thanks for the replies. The car is already restored, we just dont have a engine or trans. No rust nothing just a crack in the paint on the rear bumper. The whole car has been painted already and brand new oem parts where put on ,tires,battery shocks ect. It just needs the interior put in and engine,trans and factory decals put on.

EDIT: The wheels where also refinished. I wish I had pics but I dont of it now.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
Hey guys thanks for the replies. The car is already restored, we just dont have a engine or trans. No rust nothing just a crack in the paint on the rear bumper. The whole car has been painted already and brand new oem parts where put on ,tires,battery shocks ect. It just needs the interior put in and engine,trans and factory decals put on.

EDIT: The wheels where also refinished. I wish I had pics but I dont of it now.
Given all that work, you may just want to keep it - because as a rolling chassis (i.e. - no motor or trans) the thing just doesn't have the resale value that a lousy complete car does (sad to say, cause it sounds nice!)
Old 11-07-2009, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by great421
Given all that work, you may just want to keep it - because as a rolling chassis (i.e. - no motor or trans) the thing just doesn't have the resale value that a lousy complete car does (sad to say, cause it sounds nice!)
OK thanks buddy, I figured I'd get an asnswer like that. We dont want to but if worse comes to worse we might have too.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not just pick up a 400 or 455 and transmission and complete it? Really not that difficult.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
why not just pick up a 400 or 455 and transmission and complete it? Really not that difficult.
Yeah I wish it was that easy. We just dont have the money to finish it right know. But thats the plan. I was just curious of the value.

Quick Reply: How much can is this 76 worth?