Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1994 T/A, will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 T/A, will not start

Hey all,

This is my first post... and I am a bit new at this.

Just recently got a 6spd/lt1 trans am and from day one, I have had a few issues getting it started. Sometimes I would turn the key and just hear a click, but nothing else. Most times, it would start right up with no issues.

I recently removed and reinstalled the dash. Now the car will not start at all. I am trying to figure out what I may have undone when removing the dash that would cause this.

It is a bit suspect that the problem was occurring before I messed with the dash - which makes me think my work behind the dash may not be related.

I have removed the starter and taken it to be tested - it checks out. I have swapped batteries with another car - it still has the problem. I have been told that it may be the ignition switch, possibly the anti-theft deterrant, or maybe even the clutch-engage switch.

Also, not sure if it is related, but the lights in the car had flickered a few times before this current issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clean your key. It may possibly be the VATS not recognizing your key resistor and thus killing the engine. That would result in an intermittent problem.

Probably the easiest thing to try first.