Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

New and need help on an 01 trans am

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and need help on an 01 trans am

Im new to the site and also ls motors. I was hoping maybe yall can help me out and give me your feed back. Ive been talking to a dealer in arlington,tx for about 2 weeks now about a trans they have everythings about ready so i can go put a down payment and bring her home. Its an 01 trans am M6 formula from what i seen on the carfax he says it a ws6 but like i said im new to these cars. Here is a link to the car along with pictures and info http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/1991010059.html The dealer claims it belonged to a guy who owned a tuning shop and it was his personal car also said they had it dynoed at around 800 on spray said he would send me the sheets and specs on the motor. I wanted to know what you guys think if im making the right move or ami getting screwed. The dealer says it 101k on the chassis and about 10k on the motor. The motor is a 6.0 would that make it a lq4/lq9 all answer and opinions would be really appreciated.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

The car looks sick with those rims. I haven't really seen many dealerships sell a car modded that much especially with nitrous. How much are they asking for it or did I just not read that?
Old 10-16-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigj2717
The car looks sick with those rims. I haven't really seen many dealerships sell a car modded that much especially with nitrous. How much are they asking for it or did I just not read that?
$19,980.

That would be a really fun car.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the fast responce guys i appreciate it i guess i just need that extra push to go through with the deal the dealers waiting on my yes or no. So for the price you think i would be getting a good deal overall? What do you guys think of the motor and dyno numbers he gave me?
Old 10-16-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Did they say how much spray those numbers are on? Also if it does have a anti-roll bar in rear like it says it might not be very street friendly. Other then that i think its a good price if its all done right. It looks really clean from the pics.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wonder if it's anyone's car here on tech..I think it's a good deal, but that's just from the pics and reading about it. Like stated, I would almost say that it wouldn't be something for you to drive to and from work everyday.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:48 PM

keeping in mind it has 101,000 miles on it and the mods done to it,,think it may have been ridden a bit hard a traded in for a very good reason?????,just my opinion

Last edited by bga02bird; 10-16-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

101k isn't really that bad. I bought my car with 120k and beat the **** out of it till it finally spun a bearing at 203k. And if that car really only has 10k on all the mods theres nothing to really worry about unless they are spraying the hell out of it every day
Old 10-16-2010, 10:01 PM

well if they can produce the receipts for the work done to prove it's only 10k on the motor,,then not a bad deal,,for a nice looking car
Old 10-16-2010, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Again thanks for the fast responces guys thats why i like the site so much. Yeah i talked to the dealer and he said he would produce all paperwork on the car along with specs and dyno sheets. He didnt say exactly how big of a shot they did on the dyno. Based on what yall have read would it be streetable?
Old 10-16-2010, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Did they say how much spray those numbers are on? Also if it does have a anti-roll bar in rear like it says it might not be very street friendly. Other then that i think its a good price if its all done right. It looks really clean from the pics.

What exactly does yhe anti roll bar do? How would it not be very streetable with it on?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

It basically looks like this car was built more for strip use other than street use.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

An anti-roll bar replaces the rear sway bar with basically a solid chromoly bar so the rear end can not lean to either side. Its something that is made for track only and will not let the car lean right when taking turns. You also might want to know what clutch is in the car so you know if its streetable or not.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

An anti-roll bar replaces the rear sway bar with basically a solid chromoly bar so the rear end can not lean to either side. Its something that is made for track only and will not let the car lean right when taking turns. You also might want to know what clutch is in the car so you know if its streetable or not.

Would i be able to change out the anti roll bar for a sway and make it streetable? How would you determine if it is streetable as far as te clutch? My plans where when i got it was to possibly go through the motor and put an F1 procharger on it. What would you say as far as gas milage round about? Sorry about all the questions
Old 10-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Teching In

It wonder why the guy would trade the car in? From my experience with dealerships is there going to give you blue book trade in. The dealer doesn't care about mods when they give you the trade in value. I would guess the dealer gave him what a 01 t/a with a 100k miles with adding very little extra for the mods. If that is the case why wouldn't the guy sell the car outright and get a lot more for it? Maybe because there was something wrong with it ??? It might be ok but I would really want to talk to the previous owner before I spent that kind of money.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kevinek
It wonder why the guy would trade the car in? From my experience with dealerships is there going to give you blue book trade in. The dealer doesn't care about mods when they give you the trade in value. I would guess the dealer gave him what a 01 t/a with a 100k miles with adding very little extra for the mods. If that is the case why wouldn't the guy sell the car outright and get a lot more for it? Maybe because there was something wrong with it ??? It might be ok but I would really want to talk to the previous owner before I spent that kind of money.

Yes i was actually going to ask the dealer if that was possible but i highly doubt he would give me the previous owners info.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...FV22G912143731 Here is a link to the carfax it says the previous owner had a lein or loan against it maybe thats why???
Old 10-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Yeah man for that price you could find a nice modded car from an individual. I have known too many people who would limp there overheating or knocking hotrod to the dealership to trade it in because they didn't want to sell it outright and have to deal with a pissed off individual when it cratered the day after they bought it. Thats just my opinion and it might be just fine I just don't know why the guy would trade a car like that in and not sell it outright. I guarantee the dealer didn't give near 19k for the car. But with all that said it does look like a really nice fast car.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01 WS6 6.0
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...FV22G912143731 Here is a link to the carfax it says the previous owner had a lein or loan against it maybe thats why???
Yeah your right maybe he had a lein or loan and thats why he had to trade it. He has owned it since 04 so I wouldnt think he owed too much on it, but who knows? Hell maybe he is loaded and didnt really care what they gave him for it and just didnt want to mess with having to sale it outright. Its probably all good I just get paranoid when I see a dealership selling a car like this. I would still try to talk them down because like I said they probably gave him what a 01 t/a with 100k is worth. Ive never had a dealer give me extra for mods. Most people I know try to sale all there aftermarket mods off there car before trading it in because the dealer wont give you any extra for them. Thats just my 2 cents. Good luck and it does look like an awesome car.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:47 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I dunno man. 'Mods, NAWZ, dealer instead of a private seller (implying an emergency sell by the previous owner)...Personally I would look elsewhere, buy a virgin-esque car and 'mod it myself...

Quick Reply: New and need help on an 01 trans am