Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn signal issues... again

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal issues... again

Hey everyone,

Apologies if I didn't see the info on this (searched a bit, but am in a rush as well).

So, as is typical with our vehicles, I am experiencing turn signal issues again. I have a '99 Trans Am. The front passenger side turn signal decided to throw a fit and not work. The funny thing is that it will light up if I either turn on the parking lights or the headlights. However, even then it will not blink as a turn signal. If I don't have the parking lights/headlights on, it will not light up at all.

A bit confused by this, but I did check the bulb (and replaced it) and that is not the issue. Could it be the socket? (I replaced these a few years ago). I'm not entirely sure but it almost looks like one of the connectors in the socket is cracked. I have tried cleaning up any corrosion in it, but plan on giving it another go here soon.

Any ideas? If I do end up buying a replacement socket, anyone know where to get one at and more specifically which one should work? I can't even remember where and what model I got before. They take the 3157 bulbs. Was hoping Amazon would have a part in since I have to place an order there but haven't seen one that.. quite matches or at least is telling me it doesn't.

Thanks again everyone
Old 05-08-2011, 03:55 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm not sure if the socket is causing your no blink condition but if you need to replace the socket, have a look at this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/13371160-post26.html
Way easier than splicing in a new socket. I did this while retaining the original socket base.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Same thing happened to me, your turn signal flasher is out and its a cheap/easy/fast fix.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

(Part Number: LL552)

2nd one down, the flasher is up under the dash/steering wheel area to the right, Just pop it out, unplug it, plug the new one in, pop in back in, and BAM your done!

Thats the only thing i could think it would be, hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Teching In

@ Paul Bell - Thanks for the link, dude. That's pretty interesting and actually I used that idea just now to get a better shot at cleaning the contacts and such in the socket. It seemed to work because that light now came on per normal and was blinking... for a few seconds.

@colinpd - After trying the above, I watched my turn signal blink kind of funny and then stop. Now I have no turn signals and the lights on the dashboard aren't even blinking (unless I turn on the hazard lights in which case all work). Does this still mean the flasher if the all turn signal lights refuse to blink even on the dash, but appear to operate normally otherwise?
Old 05-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Yes, still a little fuzzy to where your at if you replaced it or not. But ill tell you my problem and fix.

Over time my blinkers got "slower" on the dashboard ( <- / -> ) and finally just quit working. I would click it up or down and the light on the dash would come up but would not blink at all. The lights wouldn't blink either. After getting that part (10-15$ ish i think) and swapping it out with the old it fixed all of the said problems above.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Thanks Colin,

Now that you mention that, I have noticed my blinkers going slower late last year (before putting it away for the Winter). I'm thinking you hit the nail there and hopefully that is all that's wrong. I'm going to head to the store tomorrow to get that part. I'll update to let you know!

Thanks again
Old 05-08-2011, 09:13 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm with Colin here, you need a flasher. I could never hear mine so I changed it for the loud version on the market.

I didn't want to be another senior citizen trying to change lanes for thirty miles

Fixed! Sorry dude!

Last edited by Paul Bell; 05-08-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
I'm with Colin here,
Fixed..
Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Teching In

That worked!

Put in the new flasher and now we're in business. It's amazing how you forget how quick the turn signals are meant to flash Awesome.

Thank you guys for all the help. I was going a bit crazy but thankfully it was that easy fix (and I learned an easier way to clean corrosion out of the sockets). Now, I shall try to get my side markers working (thinking dead bulbs or bad sockets, but haven't messed with it since.. never )

!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Launching!

I have the exact same problem, except on the driver side. Can anyone confirm that this is caused by a faulty relay?
Old 05-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Suzaku
I have the exact same problem, except on the driver side. Can anyone confirm that this is caused by a faulty relay?
Does it light up at all? Are your turn signals a bit slow? One way I tested this was to turn my car on (not turn the engine on, just turn the key to on) and use a turn signal... would slow to a crawl and stop within 10 seconds.

The Flashers aren't expensive so it definitely wouldn't hurt to give it a try. Also, you could try cleaning the socket out real good from any corrosion that may have built up.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Launching!

The driving lights work on both turn signals. The front passenger side signal works fine, but the driver side will not blink when the left turn signal is engaged. Rear lights have no problems at all... most likely its a broken wire for my front driver turn signal I'm guessing.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Teching In

I had that problem where whenever it rained my turn signals would burn out. It was the light socket getting drenched because GM designed the lenses in 2 pieces! Water would always get in. So i swapped out the old ones and put in the bayonet style ones. Instead of gluing of plastic welding the lenses like some did, I just used clear packaging tape on the inside. No one will ever know the difference. I did this ove a year ago and no problems since.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by colinpd137
Same thing happened to me, your turn signal flasher is out and its a cheap/easy/fast fix.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

(Part Number: LL552)

2nd one down, the flasher is up under the dash/steering wheel area to the right, Just pop it out, unplug it, plug the new one in, pop in back in, and BAM your done!

Thats the only thing i could think it would be, hope this helps.

SO is there 2 of these things or just one that controls both signal lights??
Old 05-21-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

The same thing happened to me on my 93. It took forever to figure out what it was and then I spent the $7 bucks for a new flasher and that was it. I felt like an idiot. haha.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jerseyjoe
I had that problem where whenever it rained my turn signals would burn out.
Thanks for mentioning this. Having the same problem. I'm on bulb 5 in six months of owning my 2000 Firebird. I am going to try your fix and see if it helps.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Default 2000 Pontiac firebird turning signal issue

On my firebird the left turn signal lights up and stays solid when lights are on but turns off when I hit the switch but no lights on the outside at all

Old 09-25-2023, 12:18 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmgood13
On my firebird the left turn signal lights up and stays solid when lights are on but turns off when I hit the switch but no lights on the outside at all
Are you sure that's the turn signal lighting up? There are two filaments in each bulb - a dim one for parking/running lights and a bright one for DRL and turn signals. It's quite possible for one filament to burn out while the other still works. In this case, you could be seeing the dim parking/running light when the lights are on (normal operation), but the bright filament is burned out causing no signals or DRLs.

The easiest way to tell is to turn on the hazard flashers and walk around the car looking for which corner isn't flashing. Then replace the bulb in that lamp.

Quick Reply: Turn signal issues... again