Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Cracked/broke my sideskirt, worth it to try and fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked/broke my sideskirt, worth it to try and fix?

So I clipped a curb this weekend with my TA and the sideskirt cracked for about 1.5ft from the rear tire, forward, and a 6-8" section snapped off right by the rear tire :fuuuu: Now I'm going to try and get a replacement skirt (passenger side) and do all the work repainting and such by myself. What kind of work does it entail to repaint it (NBM), or would it be worth it to try and fix the crack/broken piece? I have the piece that broke off, and it fits back perfectly onto the skirt, just won't stay in place, obviously. I've looked into repairing broken fiberglass, and it appears it is, at least in theory, possible to repair, with just gorilla glue for the snapped off piece, and a fiberglassing kit for the crack down the underside. Has anyone repaired a skirt before, or done anything of the sort before? I'd like to repair it/get a new or used one on for as cheap as possible, asap. Please let me know what the best route is, and how I can go about doing that!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

On my old camaro the side skirt was cracked right on the end by the rear wheel when I go it. I took it off and had a body shop glue/fiberglass repair it. It looked much better but it was only cracked, not broken into pieces. Post a pic of the damage and pieces.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z-camaro
On my old camaro the side skirt was cracked right on the end by the rear wheel when I go it. I took it off and had a body shop glue/fiberglass repair it. It looked much better but it was only cracked, not broken into pieces. Post a pic of the damage and pieces.
I'll get a better pic in the morning and add the pic of the piece that snapped off, that's what I could get right now. Pic doesn't seem to be showing up, so here's the link to it on my Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/brendan...in/photostream

Last edited by brendo389; 01-28-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: photo not showing up
Old 01-29-2013, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If it were me I would spend $10 or so on glue/fiberglass repair kit and get it looking the best that you can. It probably won't be perfect, but should look much better than it does now. Then if you decide you can't live with it the way it is, start looking for one off of a totaled car and you might be able to find one that is already the right color in good condition.

Quick Reply: Cracked/broke my sideskirt, worth it to try and fix?