Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

I'm new here also.............

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm new here also.............

We will picking this 2000 Firehawk up tomorrow. We also own a '78 WS6/W72 Trans Am, and a 1984 Firebird S/E. I am sure I am going to have tons of questions on the Hawk, being I am more familiar with the 2nd gens.

I know that I would like to get the front license plate cover with the mirrored bird, but can't seem to find one! So, if anyone knows where I can get one, message me!!

Old 03-28-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car, and I too am a fan of second gens. I'll warn you about modifying special cars like your Firehawk. Folks on forums like Tech will likely flame you pretty hard for detracting from the original. I modify anything that doesn't fight back, but take by bruises from time to time. To answer your question, there are places that sell the overlays for the front plate cover, but I have not seen suppliers selling a modified plate cover. Maybe Phoenix Grafix would have overlays.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HerHawk
I know that I would like to get the front license plate cover with the mirrored bird, but can't seem to find one! So, if anyone knows where I can get one, message me!!
The ones you see on here are typically a decal on the stock painted one... I put the mirrored Bird for a license plate cover on my intake lid..

If you want something fancier... here's one in stainless steel
http://emblempros.com/inc/sdetail/2040/364
Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Even a local sign shop should be able to make you an overlay in any assortment of colors/finishes.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice Hawk, I saw it on craigslist earlier I think. I like the "ol lumpy" spoiler. Update the info on the car on firehawk.org if you get a chance.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks all!

It does have some paint issues, bubbling, and my husband just arrived down in MS from NC to get the car. He said the hood has some issues. Right by the headlight on the driver side. It does not close all the way down to be flush with the headlight.
=(
Well, I'm sure that can be fixed, righhhhhttttt??
Old 03-29-2013, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome a'board' HerHawk, ...,
There may be some minor adjustments you can make to get the hood to fit better. Or maybe it's the headlight door that needs alignment work?

The paint on the hood has a history of some quality issues. (Paint by SLP.)
As does the B-Pillar, ..., (Glue issue by GM)

So I take it, you're located somewhere in NC?!?
Search for info on the Ames Pontiac Nationals, & the Firehawk Rally in Norwalk, Ohio every year in early August.

Also register on the Firehawk forum;
http://messageboard.firehawk.org/

Lot of info on the cars here & there, ..., Search, read, search, read, & read some more, ...

Originally Posted by Raleigh TA
I'll warn you about modifying special cars like your Firehawk. Folks on forums like Tech will likely flame you pretty hard for detracting from the original.
That's not entirely true, ..., Mod if you want, ...,
Old 03-31-2013, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks all! Nope, not going to modify anything, at least with the motor. DANG this car is FAST!!!
It arrived safely yesterday afternoon, and of course I had to "test" drive it. I was FLOORED by the power this car has. Nothing like my '78 Trans Am.

Yes, we do have several issues. Looks like the hood has issues right by the headlight. Not sure if that can be fixed. I'll have to bring it to the bodyshop and see what they say.

I did post a question about the gas gauge. Not sure if it is the gas gauge itself, or the fuel sending unit. When you get a chance, would you please go to that post and post your opinion?

I'll post pictures whenever it stops raining of the hood. UGH!!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

One of the sponsors here has all sort of things to dress up the car. They make a stainless steel overlay for the front cover bird.

http://www.emblempros.com/inc/sdetail/2040/364
Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

^^^ YES!!!! That is something I would LIKE!!! Need to find new upholstery/leather for the front seats though. They are the tan/light brown color and I am having a REAL hard time finding them.

Oh and yes........we are in NC!!

Last edited by HerHawk; 03-31-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

^^^ YES!!!! That is something I would LIKE!!! Need to find new upholstery/leather for the front seats though. They are the tan/light brown color and I am having a REAL hard time finding them.

Oh and yes........we are in NC!!
Stop stealing our MS f-bodies!

Unfortunately the upholstery of these cars is one thing that is not widely available and the places that do have it are a bit on the pricey side. One of the more popular vendors for custom aftermarket items is 6LE Designs. Depending on if you want to stick with the stock style of seat or want to swap over to a racing style he would be able to hook you up either way. Here is the page with his seat options:

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...h=166_22_36_51
Old 04-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Ooooo ^^ Thanks!!

Ok, let me ask you all something. I have a whining noise in which we most of thought it was the pully. My husband replaced it and it is still there.
I turned on the A/C and the whining quieted down just a bit. So, I am assuming it is the clutch on the A/C. Now, my husband went to see if we could just get the clutch for the A/C, but apparently not, and we have to buy the entire unit. UGH!!!

Any suggestions???
Old 04-05-2013, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Ooooo ^^ Thanks!!

Ok, let me ask you all something. I have a whining noise in which we most of thought it was the pully. My husband replaced it and it is still there.
I turned on the A/C and the whining quieted down just a bit. So, I am assuming it is the clutch on the A/C. Now, my husband went to see if we could just get the clutch for the A/C, but apparently not, and we have to buy the entire unit. UGH!!!

Any suggestions???
First thing I would do is head over to HFT or any auto parts joint and pick up a mechanic's stethoscope. It has the ear buds with a really long metal tube. You can use that to pin point the exact location of the squeal so that you don't go about replacing parts without need, If the car has higher mileage and these are the original pulley then the grease might be all but gone and they might need to be repacked. But I would start with the stethoscope and go from there.

If it does turn out to be just the clutch or a/c pulley they can be taken apart and replaced but if I remember right the bearings are pressed on so you will either need a hydraulic press to remove/reinstall them or use a big hammer if you are comfortable with that sort of thing.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

THANK YOU for the advice!! I will pass this on to my husband!!

Quick Reply: I'm new here also.............