Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

99 trans am problem. need ideas!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 trans am problem. need ideas!!

Hey guys. Been having a weird problem with my t/a and wanted to see if you guys have any ideas as to what it could be.

The problem: the car cranks fine. But doesnt turn over everytime. Sometimes itll crank for 3 or so seconds and then turn over. Other times I let off the ignition and try again and it starts right away.. there is no check engine light, no loss of power and once the car is started it runs 100% fine.

I got my battery and alternator checked and theyre fine. Spark plugs and wires were replaced less than 10k ago. And same with fuel filter.

any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Old 06-23-2013, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe the fuel pump is on its way out. Thats what it sounds like to me.

I would suggest the Coil packs as well but you would think that would just cause a misfire if one of those were gone.

I'm used to Distributor ignition. Do the LS1s have an ignition control module and or ignition coil? If they do, check those as well.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kevin Lee 487
Maybe the fuel pump is on its way out. Thats what it sounds like to me.

I would suggest the Coil packs as well but you would think that would just cause a misfire if one of those were gone.

I'm used to Distributor ignition. Do the LS1s have an ignition control module and or ignition coil? If they do, check those as well.
Hmm maybe.Ive thought about that however I figured my car would have a loss of power at higher rpms or some orher sign. They have individual ignition coils and I dont believe an icm. And yea I thought about that too but theres no misfires or backfires. Looks like ill have to buy a fuel pressure tester
Old 06-23-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's probably not the lack of pressure when it's running but rather leak down. Try cycling the ignition three times before trying to crank (letting the pump run for 5 sec or so) and see if it won't crank every time. If so replace the pump and you will be good.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by foam27
Hey guys. Been having a weird problem with my t/a and wanted to see if you guys have any ideas as to what it could be.

The problem: the car cranks fine. But doesnt turn over everytime. Sometimes itll crank for 3 or so seconds and then turn over. Other times I let off the ignition and try again and it starts right away.. there is no check engine light, no loss of power and once the car is started it runs 100% fine.

I got my battery and alternator checked and theyre fine. Spark plugs and wires were replaced less than 10k ago. And same with fuel filter.

any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!
It's the fuel pump going bad. I had the same issue for about a month, then this past Monday the car "ran out of gas" with more then half a tank...look into fixing it before you need a tow.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JLFIII
It's the fuel pump going bad. I had the same issue for about a month, then this past Monday the car "ran out of gas" with more then half a tank...look into fixing it before you need a tow.
Did yours drive totally fine once it started?

Would it even be worth buying a fuel pressure tester? Or should I just go ahead and replace it?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Any more ideas guys? I'll be receiving my fuel pump tomorrow so that'll get replaced on Wednesday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it fixes it.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by foam27
Did yours drive totally fine once it started?

Would it even be worth buying a fuel pressure tester? Or should I just go ahead and replace it?
yeah, before it totally died on me it would run just fine once it started up

Quick Reply: 99 trans am problem. need ideas!!