Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Check gauges problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check gauges problem

Hey guys

I had a really weird problem yesterday. For a while now I've had the oil pressure sensor disconnected as the guy who owned the car before me plastered the connectors in and now that the plaster is coming off the wires pop off on every big bump in the road. That being said my oil pressure stays off the scale over 120. However yesterday when driving my check gauges light came on because the oil pressure gauge was going berserk. It was jumping like crazy all over ranging from 0 to 120 and never settling down at all. Not your regular bouncing around either it went crazy. My question is how? The sensor isn't plugged in so even if the pressure was low how would it know. My thought was the actual needle in the dash must have gone out or something? Thanks for any help

Nick
Old 11-18-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My fuel guage would go crazy when I first installed the new pump, the wires were loose until I soldered them and heat shrank them. Your wires may be grounding or touching each other. If you dont want to replace the pigtail, you may want to just cut the wires and tape or heat shrink them up so they dont come in contact with anything.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Teching In

ok thanks I appreciate it. Didn't think about that

Quick Reply: Check gauges problem