Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

4th gen questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4th gen questions

Ok so I just wanted to see if I could get some clarification on some questions that google didn't know. First off I have seen WS6s with different wheels but I'm pretty sure both are stock but I think one is OEM its the skinnier 5 spoke wheel and the other has a little bit wider and more rectangular spokes. Are they both stock? and how exactly were WS6s made because didn't they just take a TA and send it somewhere else to add the extra goodies to it? I know there some others I believe there are also WS7 and WS9 are there differences besides the badge? One more thing the Firehawk is made by SLP so is that just a different name so they don't get confused with the Ram Air WS6s? Sorry I had a lot on my mind tonight haha
Old 03-06-2014, 12:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thinner style WS6 wheels are 96-00 (Sportlines), while the thicker spoked ws6 wheels are 01-02 (speedlines...and actually on some earlier LT1 firehawks as well).

WS6's were sent to SLP in 1996 and 1997, and to ASC from 98-02.
Firehawks were all modified by SLP from 92-02.

WS7 was a dealer installed ram-air package during a shortage of real WS6's during production, not an actual factory thing. There is also aftermarket hoods called WS7's.
WS9 is an RPO code found on all V8 Firebirds, specifying "formula conversion" simply meaning the car is a V8 (not necessarily a formula, but a V8 Firebird)

Last edited by MasterTomos; 03-06-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:16 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^what he said

good luck trying to get an ASC build number anymore

Check RPO codes on the inside of the passanger door to make sure its a real ws6.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Launching!

A little further with the WS7....I believe that the company called Suncoast Creations, who does aftermarket fiberglass hoods, had a WS7 badge that one could get when they purchased a WS6 style ram air hood. I have one of their hoods that I put on my base 98 T/A. They don't have this badge anymore, so I found someone that made the WS7 badges, which are styled like the factory WS6 badge, and put one on my car. Some don't care for it, but I did it so I wasn't trying to pose as a real WS6 car.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:17 AM
TECH Junkie

I've got a WS9 badge on my car just to basically mess with people. lol
Old 03-07-2014, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 235 Likes on 186 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
WS7 was a dealer installed ram-air package during a shortage of real WS6's during production, not an actual factory thing. There is also aftermarket hoods called WS7's.
WS7 was an "OWNER installed" ram air package (i.e.: a clone), I'm not aware of ANY Pontiac dealership performing their own conversion and labeling it, let alone SELLING it as a "WS7". Its not like there was any shortage of WS6s in the '00-'02 model years (which was about the time the "cloners" came up w/ the "WS7" moniker).

When SLP was performing SS & WS6 conversions in '96-'97, they basically performed the wheel and hood swaps and suspension & exhaust upgrades in-house (off the St. Therese line). In '98, ASC won the contract for WS6 conversions away from SLP, while SLP retained the SS and Firehawk conversions. By this time, GM was delivering cars for conversion to both ASC & SLP with the wheel, exhaust and suspension upgrades already installed on the St. Therese line, all SLP and ASC needed to do was to swap the hood and attach the decals (ASC also installed the raised WS6 airbox since it didn't fit under the "flat" hood that came on the cars as delivered to ASC). Since SLP offered additional exhaust and suspension upgrades (beyond the "standard" SS / WS6 components) on the SS (which were also made available on the Firebirds via the Firehawk models), these were installed by SLP prior to shipping the cars back to St. Therese for final assembly / inspection / prep-for-ship.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Alright cool thanks guys cleared up a lot for me now I know more when I go looking for one to buy this summer.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
WS7 was an "OWNER installed" ram air package (i.e.: a clone), I'm not aware of ANY Pontiac dealership performing their own conversion and labeling it, let alone SELLING it as a "WS7". Its not like there was any shortage of WS6s in the '00-'02 model years (which was about the time the "cloners" came up w/ the "WS7" moniker).

When SLP was performing SS & WS6 conversions in '96-'97, they basically performed the wheel and hood swaps and suspension & exhaust upgrades in-house (off the St. Therese line). In '98, ASC won the contract for WS6 conversions away from SLP, while SLP retained the SS and Firehawk conversions. By this time, GM was delivering cars for conversion to both ASC & SLP with the wheel, exhaust and suspension upgrades already installed on the St. Therese line, all SLP and ASC needed to do was to swap the hood and attach the decals (ASC also installed the raised WS6 airbox since it didn't fit under the "flat" hood that came on the cars as delivered to ASC). Since SLP offered additional exhaust and suspension upgrades (beyond the "standard" SS / WS6 components) on the SS (which were also made available on the Firebirds via the Firehawk models), these were installed by SLP prior to shipping the cars back to St. Therese for final assembly / inspection / prep-for-ship.
I can't find the exact dealership, but I've heard on several accounts that there was dealerships in the southeast states that couldn't get WS6's for a while so they installed the WS7 package. Most stories I've heard were from FLorida.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sort of related, so why is the U.S. Exotic WS9 Outlaw hood called a WS9 hood?
Old 03-08-2014, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Colesitzy
Sort of related, so why is the U.S. Exotic WS9 Outlaw hood called a WS9 hood?
Just a name. Nothing to do with the WS9 RPO code.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen the WS7 badges on Formulas. You can buy on Ebay. Here is the link. I always thought was an aftermarket hood scoop and tail dealer installed and then labelled as WS7, or at least that is what i was told. http://www.ebay.com/itm/WS7-Emblem-Badge-Mirror-Stainless-Steel-choose-color-WS7-/390367324654?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae3b4a9ee&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: 4th gen questions