Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Question on 4th Gen "Taupe"/Tan interiors

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question on 4th Gen "Taupe"/Tan interiors

From 98-02 For the Taupe/Tan interior I have noticed several pics which depict the seat color to be a rather light tan color (right side of pic) vs a more gray tint (Taupe). I just wanted to confirm that Taupe/Tan interiors from 98-02 were exactly the same ? Most of the online pics I see are more closer to the tan color on the right..am I missing something ? Maybe I need to get my eyes checked

Old 06-26-2014, 03:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends on the quality of camera/pics and condition/fade of the seats. I'm sure most are taken with a cell phone. The only difference from 98-02 would be the rare two tone black/tan interior where the tan is much richer in color. Not to be confused with the dark grey/neutral colored interiors.
Lonnie

example of black/tan interior
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 06-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sales3@Texas-Speed
It all depends on the quality of camera/pics and condition/fade of the seats. I'm sure most are taken with a cell phone. The only difference from 98-02 would be the rare two tone black/tan interior where the tan is much richer in color. Not to be confused with the dark grey/neutral colored interiors.
Lonnie

example of black/tan interior
I am familiar with the 2 tone camel interior as in your pic. Thanks.

Maybe is the cameras (flash etc) that make the seats more tanner (right side) than others. The one on the left although a cell phone pic the taupe color of the seats (front and rear), plastics and carpet are all very close in color an do not appear to be faded.

Those with the tan/taupe/neutral interiors is the color of the carpet/seats etc more tan like in the right pic or more on the "neutral" side ?????

One thing I find interesting is that Lloyds who makes custom car mats have (3) colors in the tan family to match the 98-02 interiors (not including the graphite/ebony) they are saddle, tan and neutral. The saddle being for the optional saddle 2 tone interior which is an obvious darker/more orange color as in your pic (my 80Z28 had saddle interior). The neutral which is almost a dead on match for the right side pic (Taupe color-grayish hue) and the tan which "appears" to match the right side pic typical light colored tan color.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:35 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen a different shade for the 93-97 that is slightly lighter. Since the floor mats are the same shape for 93-02 I can see them having different colors. I have a '98 with a very clean interior and mine matches the color on the right. My buddies, that has a little sun damage looks closer to the one on the left. I've always used leather cleaner and hand rubbed leather conditioner on my stuff. Granted, I could be wrong, but this is what I've seen in my years of experience.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 06-26-2014, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sales3@Texas-Speed
I have seen a different shade for the 93-97 that is slightly lighter. Since the floor mats are the same shape for 93-02 I can see them having different colors. I have a '98 with a very clean interior and mine matches the color on the right. My buddies, that has a little sun damage looks closer to the one on the left. I've always used leather cleaner and hand rubbed leather conditioner on my stuff. Granted, I could be wrong, but this is what I've seen in my years of experience.

Lonnie
Thanks for the info. The one on the right is from a 98 and it does not appear to be from sun damage (need to take a better pic). Color is the same on underside of seat leather (lifted up rear seats and looked at leather under/hidden on front seats also) front and back and matches all the other "neutral" trim and the carpet but it definitely does not look close to the "tan" on the right. Not sure why it is so different in color that the other taupe/tan interior pics I have seen. If it was from sun or even specific chemicals used to maintain it does not explain why the color is the same everywhere on the leather and how it matches so closely to the rest of the trim. I am thinking lighting may be the issue at least partially....below is a 98 and if you flip thru the pics you can see the interior go from the bright tan to the muted taupe. However if that is the case I would expect others to verify their interior to look closer to the left pic but with flash more closer to the right. Oh well, not important but made me curious.

http://gatewayclassiccars.com/chicag...s-am-S423.html

Last edited by y2k600f4; 06-26-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:29 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't they change the color slightly in '00, like they did with the graphite interiors changing to ebony around that time? I thought I remembered that '00 switched from taupe to camel (the more tan color) around that time.

That two-tone interior pic is a '00-up because the dash is ebony. I also don't recall the tan interior cars having tan colored, non-perforated inserts.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Mines a 99" submitted for discussion:

I think a lot depends on the camera, IMHO
Old 06-27-2014, 08:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 540 Likes on 387 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Really like those headrests 99'CajunFirehawk157.
I also agree about the camera being too much of a factor.

y2k600f4, Look at this scanned picture (click it a few times to enlarge) from my 2001 Pontiac product portfolio notebook. These are actual leather pieces. With lightning and different cameras you can see how difficult it might be to see the color difference. Just too close.

Attachment 458111

Last edited by NC01TA; 10-03-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

y2k600f4, Look at this scanned picture (click it a few times to enlarge) from my 2001 Pontiac product portfolio notebook. These are actual leather pieces. With lightning and different cameras you can see how difficult it might be to see the color difference. Just too close.

Thanks for the scanned pic ! The 522/523 looks dead on. You are right must be the lighting !!....just looked like there was another color shade for the 522/523 taupe/tan; this clears it up. I appreciate it.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 540 Likes on 387 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

No problem. Best of luck with your new ride. Still looking forward to photos when you get the opportunity.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NC01TA
No problem. Best of luck with your new ride. Still looking forward to photos when you get the opportunity.

Thanks. Custom Lloyd mats arrive Wed (took a while to get carpet samples and confirm the correct color match)....I will then get some pics up !! Really wanted to do a complete detailing (buff/polish, wax etc especially since it is a black car) but that will have to wait.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy used to own a 98 Formula with tan leather and I remember it looking exactly like the tan leather in a 2001 Trans Am I looked at.

I personally like the tan better than all black, it gives a nice contrast to the interior. The all black makes it look cheaper IMO.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Interior colors offered in the fourth generation F-Body:

Quick Reply: Question on 4th Gen "Taupe"/Tan interiors