Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Lighting Problem - Turn Signal/Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighting Problem - Turn Signal/Brake Lights

Hey guys,

First time poster here after lurking around here for years.

Have an unusual problem that I need some kind of direction on...

My only functioning indicator light is my driver's side rear turn signal/brake light. The other three are not coming on. They will not come on with the hazards or turn signals and the passenger's side brake light will not come on either. However when the headlights are on all of the lights will light up as running lights.

In response to the problem I have changed all of the bulbs and also the flasher unit under dash with no results.

Thanks again for the years of answers and hopefully more in the future.

Edit: Forgot to post car info....2001 Trans AM WS6

Last edited by TMarsh22; 09-12-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(See Service Manual Section 8A - 110)

The lighting system is not that complex; for your indicators you have three wires - 1 Ground and 2 B+ leads: one B+ wire for the Driving Lamps function - Always ON when your headlamp switch is in either of the ON positions, and a second B+ wire for the Turn Signal / Hazard function.

(You've thrown parts at - Bulbs and a Flasher.)

So, if the B+ lead which power your Turn Signals are indeed providing power in to the various connectors where the lamps are fastened (and you can check this function with a DVOM or Test Lamp), then you must assume that the bulb connectors are corroded or damaged.

However, if B+ power does not arrive at the connectors when the turn signals are ON, then you have to assume that you have an open in the wiring harness.

Good Luck!
Old 09-13-2014, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Look to the common area for common problem. Running lights and brake/turn/hazard are not related. Most likely issue is in the turn signal switch since only RR brake light works.

You could also have a combination of problems, such as a left rear ground damaged, as well a popped fuse. Use the attached road map in conjuction with a DVOM to trace the break(s) in the circuit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Exterior lamps.pdf (78.9 KB, 186 views)

Quick Reply: Lighting Problem - Turn Signal/Brake Lights