Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

2002 firebird interior seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2002 firebird interior seats

Hi
I'm new to the forum. I wanted to know if it's possible to put more cushion on the drivers and passenger seats on the lower area of the seat where the buttocks rest? The seats are not comfortable I need some cushion. Any ideas or where can I buy new one? I been trying to find some in eBay, craigslist, Amazon and firebird store online, can't find any extra cushion seats.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

best bet would be to have an upholstery shop do new foam and see if they can go thicker (or firmer). Short of that you could try to find some generic seat covers that have a cushioned bottom and slap those on.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Try searching the site. There are threads here where folks have interchanged seats from other cars.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:05 AM

Daniel Richards do you an estimate of how much it will cost?
Thanks
Old 09-20-2014, 11:11 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Ironman, welcome to LS1tech!

There are a good number of aftermarket seats that will bolt right in.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you could try, if you are pretty handy is transplanting the foam from the passenger side to the driver side (it could simply be worn from years of sitting in it):
The procedure goes like this
Take out both the drivers seat and passenger seat. Take off the plastic that houses the buttons on the side and remove the two bolts that hold the bottom to the recliner and remove the single bolt on the other side. Do this for both seats. Once the bottoms seperate from the tops, Flip the bottoms and unbolt the tracks, then detach the plastic clips that hold the leather to the metal frame and after all are out, pull on the seat to wedge it out.

Swap the seats and reattach the clips. Then begin bolting the tracks back on and then bolt the bottoms back on to the tops. Reinstall and see if that makes a difference. This is one way to try to do something about it without spending any money first. You never know, it might work out.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by alex722607
What you could try, if you are pretty handy is transplanting the foam from the passenger side to the driver side (it could simply be worn from years of sitting in it):
The procedure goes like this
Take out both the drivers seat and passenger seat. Take off the plastic that houses the buttons on the side and remove the two bolts that hold the bottom to the recliner and remove the single bolt on the other side. Do this for both seats. Once the bottoms seperate from the tops, Flip the bottoms and unbolt the tracks, then detach the plastic clips that hold the leather to the metal frame and after all are out, pull on the seat to wedge it out.

Swap the seats and reattach the clips. Then begin bolting the tracks back on and then bolt the bottoms back on to the tops. Reinstall and see if that makes a difference. This is one way to try to do something about it without spending any money first. You never know, it might work out.
This sounds great! I don't have passengers that much so it would not be an issue. My passenger seat is great like new and my driver seat is in pretty good knick so this could be the perfect low cost solution.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just eat more. Eventually you'll have all of the padding you need.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 98-02 Seat Foam

Yes, you can use the passenger side foam on the driver side. I've done it. The parts that are interchangeable are:

This is for a 97-02 with power side bolsters and lumbar.

Lower Seat Frame
Lower Seat Foam
Lower Leather (you'll have a couple holes next to the center console though from where the seat recline lever was)
Upper Seat Foam
Upper Seat Leather

For the non lumbar seat, I don't know about the seat backing but the bottom will still interchange.

No need to buy used bottom seat foam anymore. Today I went to a local muscle car shop. Online they have listed 1993-1997 lower seat foam. I knew the backs would not work on 1997-2002 with power lumbar but I was sure the bottoms were the same. It cost $148 for one seat.

Lower seat foam was a perfect fit and very comfortable. The difference from my worn out foam to this was night and day. Funny even the box was labeled 1993-2002 Camaro Seat Foam (he said Firebird and Camaro are the same for the base model seat).

So for the NEW (bottom only) seat foam labeled 1993-1997 Firebird, it will work on

1993-2002 Firebird with cloth, leather, or 1997-2002 power lumbar leather. The 1993-1996 Trans Am with power lumber has a different seat bottom so it won't work.

Hope this was of some help cause I know our seats are aging and getting pretty uncomfortable.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you could just ditch the seats ENTIRELY... they aren't exactly the most visually appealing seats made or the most comfortable. The seat selection out there is ENDLESS. You can get a full set of nice seats starting at under $300 delivered to your door with the suppot your looking for. Unless your set on 100% stock.

Quick Reply: 2002 firebird interior seats