Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Newb with a New to me 2002 Firehawk

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newb with a New to me 2002 Firehawk

Just thought Id introduce myself, Nickname is JJ, I'm living in Colorado, grew up in Pittsburgh Pa.

Picked It up on Saturday. Its a 6 speed with 82,000 on the clock.

It's got some needs, new speakers some are blown, the stereo lights are out but it works, Paint shines but has some scratches I hope they buff out, interior is in good shape door sills are cracked.

Couple of quick questions if any one can set me straight would be appreciated.

This motor is loud, its quiet at idle, but while accelerating its louder than the exhaust... is this normal, or did I buy myself a headache?

Also my chrome wheels are only 16inch, but looks like the stock size tires fit a 17inch wheel, center caps say ABS. Tires are 245/50r 16... the slp website says these were added by them... or did someone swap them out already?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

JJ
Old 11-03-2014, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

congrats on purchase , those are not the firehawk rims , take a video to post for us about the engine ..

get yourself a porter cable 7424xp , meguirs 105 and 205 and then your favorite wax. The clear on these are hard to you should be able to clean it up a bunch .

I like the iroc spoiler your hawk has on it .

go to kee audio for a speaker package from them . You have to run certain ones , not many fit in the sail panels so just buy them from kee audio .
Old 11-03-2014, 04:32 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech! Congrats on the 'bird purchase!

The 16" "ABS" wheels came on Firebirds, Formulas & base-model Trans Ams. My '00 Trans Am came with those very same wheels on it. They are chromed aluminum.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:29 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should have 17x9 5 spoke "Firehawk" wheels [see image below] with 275/40/17 tires. They came standard with silver; chrome was optional. What does the SLP site say when you enter your VIN -- silver or chrome?

Old 11-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
congrats on purchase , those are not the firehawk rims , take a video to post for us about the engine ..

get yourself a porter cable 7424xp , meguirs 105 and 205 and then your favorite wax. The clear on these are hard to you should be able to clean it up a bunch .

I like the iroc spoiler your hawk has on it .

go to kee audio for a speaker package from them . You have to run certain ones , not many fit in the sail panels so just buy them from kee audio .
Good Information thanks, So it has an aftermarket spoiler on it as well or would that have come from SLP?

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Welcome to LS1tech! Congrats on the 'bird purchase!

The 16" "ABS" wheels came on Firebirds, Formulas & base-model Trans Ams. My '00 Trans Am came with those very same wheels on it. They are chromed aluminum.
Hmmm ok, why would someone take off the Firehawk wheels and put these on? Tire cost maybe. A little disappointed they are swapped out.

Originally Posted by demonspeed
You should have 17x9 5 spoke "Firehawk" wheels [see image below] with 275/40/17 tires. They came standard with silver; chrome was optional. What does the SLP site say when you enter your VIN -- silver or chrome?

SLP says Chrome, and these are chrome too, just didnt know enough I guess on what I was looking at.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CO_BlackHawk
Good Information thanks, So it has an aftermarket spoiler on it as well or would that have come from SLP?
Factory Firehawk "IROC" spoiler (option).

Hmmm ok, why would someone take off the Firehawk wheels and put these on? Tire cost maybe. A little disappointed they are swapped out.
Previous owner likely had a different set of wheels on the car (high end wheels or slicks and skinnies) and sold off the FireHawk ones. Then when they were ready to sell the car they probably just snatched up a cheap set of base model wheels and sold the aftermarket ones separately.
Here are what the factory FireHawk wheels look like:
Old 11-04-2014, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on your new Hawk!
Maybe the original owner sold the wheels for money, or just traded for those you have now.
If you want the stock speakers, I just got my original replaced on line by someone who still sells them. I only had the 1 go out, so I wasn't ready to replace them all.
More than likely the owner changed out some of the exhaust. Jack it up and get some pictures. Maybe it's stock and you're not use to the sound.
Stock, to me they are quiet. But have sound.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Factory Firehawk "IROC" spoiler (option).

Previous owner likely had a different set of wheels on the car (high end wheels or slicks and skinnies) and sold off the FireHawk ones. Then when they were ready to sell the car they probably just snatched up a cheap set of base model wheels and sold the aftermarket ones separately.
That makes sense... I've got other priority's to fix first but Im going to have to get another set of those. Car looks great.

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
Congrats on your new Hawk!
Maybe the original owner sold the wheels for money, or just traded for those you have now.
If you want the stock speakers, I just got my original replaced on line by someone who still sells them. I only had the 1 go out, so I wasn't ready to replace them all.
More than likely the owner changed out some of the exhaust. Jack it up and get some pictures. Maybe it's stock and you're not use to the sound.
Stock, to me they are quiet. But have sound.
Thanks, it might only be one speaker right behind the driver seat, do you remember where you got the stock speaker from?

Have to take it for an emissions test today, will see if I my phone will get what it sounds like and post it up here.

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated
Old 11-04-2014, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome a'board' & congratulations on the new ride!
Sorry to see tyhe previous owner not fess up to the wheel issue.
Check out the http://messageboard.firehawk.org/ site for other Firehawk enthusiasts.
And check to see if it is in the www.firehawkowners.com registry.

There was a set of chrome wheels for sale in the Colorado area on Craigslist recently, ..., they could be the ones for this car,
Old 11-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Ok, just got back from the emissions place, she passed with flying colors tried to do a video of the motor accelerating, it didnt pick up the motor very well, but was able to pick up a distinct multiple knocking noise coming from behind the 3 vents in the center of the dash. I think the motor is fine the more I think about it. Its been a long time since I had a vehicle with actual power, and the noise that goes along with it.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

congrats - cool car - what might also be even more cool is, if my eyes don't deceive me, is that a Pittsburgh Steelers flag on your garage? LOL

Yup - Steelers fan
Old 11-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Haha Yes, representing Steelers nation out here in Colorado.

Been looking at all the performance mods, How much of a difference does the Smooth Bellow make on the intake?
Old 11-04-2014, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

quick story - years ago (i live in MI) and I went to see UofM play Colorado - when Kordell Stuart threw the Hail Mary and they won the game in the last 5 seconds. Hated Colorado and Kordell after that. Then the Steelers picked him up in the draft. what to do what to do - LOL - Loved him then -
Old 11-04-2014, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bleepster
quick story - years ago (i live in MI) and I went to see UofM play Colorado - when Kordell Stuart threw the Hail Mary and they won the game in the last 5 seconds. Hated Colorado and Kordell after that. Then the Steelers picked him up in the draft. what to do what to do - LOL - Loved him then -
Haha thats the way it works.

I'm a huge Penguins fan also, and when Rick Tocchet played for the Flyers I hated him. Seemed like he always scored against us, then would beat up our tough guy. But then he was traded to the Pens, and he became my favorite player.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

good to meet ya - good luck with the car and have fun
Old 11-04-2014, 03:47 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Skip the bellows.

Since you've got an '02, it should have the Blackwing lid, so don't remove that or upgrade it -- there's nothing better, especially with OE fitment (plus, they sell for several hundred used).

I would do Speed Engineering 1-7/8" long tubes with a cutout. I suggest just the cutout because you should have the SLP dual/dual catback as standard on the Firehawk. Just get a mail order tune for now and enjoy the 20+ hp to the wheels for less than $500 if you do the work yourself

I also missed you were initially from Pittsburgh. I've been here since 2009 (I'm up in Cranberry). While I don't care for the Steelers, I have rooted for the Pirates the moment we moved here -- no bandwagon fan! I always liked the Pens even before moving here -- I remember (albeit, I was a young kid) when it was Lemieux-Jagr compared to the Crosby-Malkin of today.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, it might only be one speaker right behind the driver seat, do you remember where you got the stock speaker from?

Same one I replaced. Sent you a pm
Old 11-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Skip the bellows.

Since you've got an '02, it should have the Blackwing lid, so don't remove that or upgrade it -- there's nothing better, especially with OE fitment (plus, they sell for several hundred used).

I would do Speed Engineering 1-7/8" long tubes with a cutout. I suggest just the cutout because you should have the SLP dual/dual catback as standard on the Firehawk. Just get a mail order tune for now and enjoy the 20+ hp to the wheels for less than $500 if you do the work yourself

I also missed you were initially from Pittsburgh. I've been here since 2009 (I'm up in Cranberry). While I don't care for the Steelers, I have rooted for the Pirates the moment we moved here -- no bandwagon fan! I always liked the Pens even before moving here -- I remember (albeit, I was a young kid) when it was Lemieux-Jagr compared to the Crosby-Malkin of today.
I was looking at the blackwing lid, and read they were installed on 2002s from Sept and later, looks like my build date was in May, but the only difference I could see was the bellow was smooth on the black wing where mine isnt smooth.

If I posted a picture could someone (who's not a newb) tell if its a blackwing or not?

The tune going to have to wait a little, I want to fix up what the past owners neglected before I go spending a lot on performance.

My Cousin lives in Cranberry. Yea I'm a Pirates fan also, and remember the Lemieux - Jagr days well. The early 90s were fun hockey times in PGH.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:59 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CO_BlackHawk

If I posted a picture could someone (who's not a newb) tell if its a blackwing or not?

Please do. There is an obvious difference, so someone here can help you.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:23 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Here's a Blackwing:

You'll notice that it retains the accordion bellows between the MAF and TB.

As for the dates that 2002 came with the Blackwing, SLP shipped the lid to all owners who took delivery of cars built before the 345hp lids were ready.

Quick Reply: Newb with a New to me 2002 Firehawk