Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Blackbyrd origin

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i know where one is since i own one now haha. had it for a while,just never got around to getting it going. it is at my friends house in hilham now in ground. don't have the wideband working yet but it is atleast working. been messing with changing the pumpkin over to e85 and see if it picked up any power but is dropping pressure and going lean so gotta get me a bigger pump and possibly injectors.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

I had heard someone local had got a dyno but I figured it was just rumor. THATS AWESOME congrats man inground dyno is fantastic, you guys planning on doing a shop or just for helping some people out. let me know when you get the wideband setup and Ill bring the goat by and we can do some playing! Been hearing a lot of folks switching to e85 lately, you were running 42lb injectors when we got tuned for spray werent you?
Old 03-10-2017, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

yep,42 lbers and a 255 pump. havent checked idc but they will prolly be maxxed. debating on doing a single 450 or going ahead and use a 450 and put in a t and keep the 255 in there as well and have the wires ran out of tank in case i ever turbo/super charge it it would already be ready. there is actually 3 locally now. a guy in rickman has a portable one and another guy has a mustang dyno between algood/rickman up on the hill = mikes auto body .
Old 03-10-2017, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

if your not using the factory fuel rail and have an external regulator id go ahead and do the 450 and be done with it honestly. only reason Id do a t is if you were going double 255's and had a way to only activate one at a time. Dont you have the access panel on your trunk deck anyway?

Didnt realize there were any in our area, the question though is how many decent tuners are their... after previous experience im thinking few and far between since these days anyone that owns hp tuners calls themself a tuner. though I have met a guy that works at the advance in cookeville, says he tunes all these turbo'ed 5.3's running around Cookeville. Would definitely be nice to make a 15 minute drive to get a dyno session haha
Old 03-13-2017, 09:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Got back under it saturday night to work on driver side hub assembly ( from the ridetech install where she stripped a stud) and one of my brake caliper bolts on that same side fell out from the last time I drove it. So I went to fastenol and picked up some bolts all 4 since everything has to match cause im crazy......

my shorter end links came in so that will be my next project, and a new exhuast hanger once it arrives to finish off leveling my exhaust tips...apparently the v6 has a hook hanger as the main instead of the little square guy. who knew? Then it will be making a bulk connector for my gauge cluster. I plan at some point to do a something more 3 dimensional and I would like to use the gauges I have. this would bring them closer to the clear cover or maybe replace it entirely ...still unsure on that one. Though I have thought about doing a 3 gauge setup like below, that might suit the rest of the car a bit better but I do still love my oldschool gauges for some reason.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Ha I named my SS Veronica nice car man
Old 03-16-2017, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Very awesome build. Ill be moving to Cookeville later this year actually. My wife took a job offer at Tennessee Tech. You might have to fill me in on what car shows/events are good to go to in the area.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks guys,

Imprtkillr-

congrats cookeville is a nice place, small town but nice. There isnt much that goes on here aside from the regular autozone shows. Nashville gets some bigger stuff though goodguys at LP field. Theres not much of a car scene here but there are a few of us that still piddle haha. Let me know when you are moving in, one thing cookeville does have in spades is non chain restaurants with awesome food and some good bars if thats your thing.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks good. I prefer the torque thrusts though btw.

But man.....please get rid of anything painted red in the interior. I'm sorry, but it must be done.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:18 PM
TECH Veteran

The arm rests are actually getting covered with redline covers. I'm gonna plastidip the door pull guard to match. Not sure what to do with the speaker grills as if yet but the vent rings are staying. The red and black think.is a love or hate deal. It looks much better in person that it does in the pics. I gotta be honest though for duplicolor on vynil it's held up ridiculously​ well
Old 06-15-2017, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Do you have extensions on your front bumper? I've seen the firebird with nostril hood before obv but I really like the way it look on your car. Maybe it's just the color.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:34 PM
TECH Veteran

no thats the slp HO hood it was kind of a combinatino between a firehawk hood and ws6 hood, not many of them around. They never got much traction for some reason I dont think I have ever seen another one in person.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

where did you end up getting your door badges made? thats cool. and where did you get the rear filler panel decal made? i like them custom touches.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fun read! nice to know I'm not the only one with a bird that just won't obey.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh i fully understand your pain buddy, I had a lot more drive to work on her when it was cool. At the moment though even if it was running I probably wouldnt dare drive it. right now at 10pm its 75 out with 93% humidity and she has no A/C. In fact thats kind of my next project. Im pulling the rest of the box out of the engine bay and keeping the heat for now. I have to pull my valve cover to get to the plugs which I need to change before I fire it off again. I figure with them off and out of the way Ill have enough space to hack at the box and clean it out and then put my delete panel in. long term plan is to go vintage air so I can still retain A/c but clean up the engine bay a lot.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
Oh i fully understand your pain buddy, I had a lot more drive to work on her when it was cool. At the moment though even if it was running I probably wouldnt dare drive it. right now at 10pm its 75 out with 93% humidity and she has no A/C. In fact thats kind of my next project. Im pulling the rest of the box out of the engine bay and keeping the heat for now. I have to pull my valve cover to get to the plugs which I need to change before I fire it off again. I figure with them off and out of the way Ill have enough space to hack at the box and clean it out and then put my delete panel in. long term plan is to go vintage air so I can still retain A/c but clean up the engine bay a lot.
Do those vintage air systems work well? That might be something worth doing. It would make adding a turbo to the car much easier than trying to do so and retain the factory AC.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Depending on the kit, yes if you get an under powered blower I might not be sufficient. Think 2 seater roadster size but in a four seater . Some of there new texh runs off an app so you can even delete the control head if you want. Probably the way I'll go in the end.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

finsihed up the Ac delete and a few other cleanups........cant upload pics

Last edited by blackbyrd; 11-15-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Been a while thought I'd update on things
lost an injector so replaced those, did a lot of dress up and moving things. Got her running on all 8 cylinders again, next up is a tune!

Then later this year big brakes
Old 07-07-2021, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

That's quite an interval between updates . You have been in the Firebird family for a really long time. When I see your name in Cookeville, TN I always think of my late sister that lived in nearby Chestnut Mound. I think that was the name of her small town but I do remember it being near Cookeville. not too far off I-40.

Quick Reply: Blackbyrd origin