Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Third gen front bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third gen front bumpers

This 1984 Firebird has a broken front bumper cover and we need to replace it, and the junkyard has bumpers from a 1987 Trans Am.

I've seen three types of different bumper covers on the third gen Firebirds and it seems to me that this one that is broken weren't used on 1984 cars at all but came first in 1987 on Trans Am GTA's.

This car has a "Trans AM GTA" badge on the bumper even tho it's an 1984 and has the inline four 2.5L "iron duke" engine. I have pictures of this car and others so that you can see the difference. Please have a look at the pictures and help me solve the mystery .

This first picture is of the car which now has two big cracks in the bumper cover and needs to have it replaced. It's a 1984 Firebird with a 2.5L inline four "Iron Duke" engine.

This second one is a picture i found of a 1984 firebird with a bumper that isn't the same kind as the one on the car with the broken one.

This third picture is a 1984 Firebird with the other type of bumper that is different from our broken one.

And this fourth picture is of a 1987 Firebird which has a bumper cover that looks exactly like the one on the 1984 car with the broken one.

So the final question is: are there different models of the bumper in the first picture and the last picture or will a 1987 bumper like the one in the last picture fit the car in the first picture?

Please help us solve this so we can get this 'bird out on the streets this summer!
Old 05-08-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

The bumper on your car now is from an 85-90 bird, so yes they'll fit. Check out www.thirdgen.org sometime, they have a ton of thirdgen info over there.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

You will have no problem putting a 87 GTA bumper on the 84. The only difference in some of the bumpers are the inner structures and supports. So if you get an 87 you will need to get the 87 inner bumper supports. They should bolt right on though. This site: thirdgen.org might be able to help you out further.

Bob S.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Default Thx

Okay, thanks for the answers, gonna check with the junkyard then about delivery.

Quick Reply: Third gen front bumpers