Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

What is the differance between the Formula and Firehawk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the differance between the Formula and Firehawk?

what is the differance between the formula and firehawk? Pontiac has soo many different variations of the firebird. Is it just the looks or is there a differance in performance?

Thanks
Mike
Old 07-18-2007, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pontiac builds the base Firebird, then offers the Formula model, and then the Trans AM model.

The Firebird is the base model with a V6 engine.
The Formula is basically the same body but with the V8 (LT1/LS1) engine.
The Trans AM is also the V8 model, but comes with different styling (alternate nose, spoiler, and a few interior changes such as the seats).

Above and beyond these 3 models, GM offers a WS6 (Ram Air) Package that simply adds an aggressive hood, 17" wheels, slight suspension mods, and an different exhaust and badging.

...or instead of the WS6, SLP offers the Firehawk. Just like the WS6, it has its own hood, wheels, spolier, etc. Oh yeah, and the logos.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Launching!

from a formula and firehawk is basically hood and badges, even though some people say that a firehawk has better suspension.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

How it works, is SLP took a certain number of firebird formulas and trans ams and converted them to Firehawks. Thats why you will see some firehawks that look like formulas, and some that look like trans ams. The differences are pretty significant. For appearance, the firehawks get the sexy rims they offer, their ram air hood w/ heat extracters, and some cars got the firehawk LED 3rd brake light. Oh and each firehawk is numbered. As for performance, the bilstein suspension w/ a 1" drop w/ eibach springs, a much more free flowing exhaust, poly bushings for the torque arm and motor mount, and an SLP air lid. SLP claims the firehawks at 330hp. I want one, they are gorgeous!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS-Six
I want one
Which, a true Firehawk, or a Trans-Am with the Firehawk package unjustly applied? lol

(Firehawks were Formys from the start and all the way through until SLP gave in and sold out. They were Formy's for a reason, the no-frills performance. And that's why they have "Fire" in the name. I know a lot of people mindlessly accept what they are told, but for me, a TRUE Firehawk is a Formula.)
Old 07-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DrkPhynx
Which, a true Firehawk, or a Trans-Am with the Firehawk package unjustly applied? lol

(Firehawks were Formys from the start and all the way through until SLP gave in and sold out. They were Formy's for a reason, the no-frills performance. And that's why they have "Fire" in the name. I know a lot of people mindlessly accept what they are told, but for me, a TRUE Firehawk is a Formula.)
what do you mean no-frills performance in 92 when the firehawk first appeared they were in the 13's range
Old 07-19-2007, 01:38 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No frills is a phrase that refers to a lack of luxury amenities like power accessories, body cladding-stuff that the T/A specializes in. Basically, no frills refers to a car that's all about performance only and little to no flash.

I however, NEED flash...
Old 07-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by myk
No frills is a phrase that refers to a lack of luxury amenities like power accessories, body cladding-stuff that the T/A specializes in. Basically, no frills refers to a car that's all about performance only and little to no flash.

I however, NEED flash...
oh i see. but yeah the firehawk does have options such as power seats,windows, locks.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

mines cloned, power wise and i love it..... but have to sell it
Old 07-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Teching In

well then does a normal transam have the exact same engine as a WS6 ?
and whats the diffrence between the trans am's LS1 and the Camaros LS1 ? are they EXACTLY the same? same power same everything ?

and also can any1 please I dentify this transam for me since im not used to pontiacs.. <-- ford guy and looking for a second car.. consodering a transam.
Attached Thumbnails What is the differance between the Formula and Firehawk?-trans2.jpg   What is the differance between the Formula and Firehawk?-trans.jpg  
Old 07-22-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tungstenizer_GT
well then does a normal transam have the exact same engine as a WS6 ?
yes
and whats the diffrence between the trans am's LS1 and the Camaros LS1 ? are they EXACTLY the same? same power same everything ?
yes

and also can any1 please I dentify this transam for me since im not used to pontiacs.. <-- ford guy and looking for a second car.. consodering a transam.
Looks like a Trans Am with a Ram Air hood.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrkPhynx

my formula has all the frills; power windows/doorlocks/seats, leather, t-tops..

Quick Reply: What is the differance between the Formula and Firehawk?