Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

headlight motor controller function

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight motor controller function

Does anyone know what method the controller that operates the headlight doors uses to open and close thE headlights? Is it load based, where it senses when the door opens and hits the stop thereby drawing more current? or does it use some other means to sense when the door is fully open or closed?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

your on the right track. Id love to slow the motors down I was thinking a 5 watt resistor
but it would mess up the controller most likely
Old 06-14-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You know ive been having problems with the control module. Last year I soldered on some different connectors for an H4 conversion, and then went back to stock. And ever since then its been screwing up, ive been through 2 control modules so far. Due for another a week later.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fjb2069
Does anyone know what method the controller that operates the headlight doors uses to open and close thE headlights? Is it load based, where it senses when the door opens and hits the stop thereby drawing more current? or does it use some other means to sense when the door is fully open or closed?

I cant give you exact specs on it but I can tell you it has two sensors that stop it. One is a resistance stop (I would assume its an increased load sensor) and the other is a timed stop...that way if the gear is stripped it will only spin for a few seconds anyway.