Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Losing Value....:(

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Losing Value....:(

How do you guys feel about our cars continuously loosing value. I kno it happens right when they leave the lot but i kbb'd mine today and its only worth 8k. I just paid it off and my balance was 7k after 3 years of payments. Now i have a base t/a with no engine trans or rear that needs paint and isnt worth ****. Not that i was thinking i was sitting on a gold mine or trying to profit but damn. How do you guys feel about this with your cars? I was going to dump like 13k into mine but now im having second thoughts especially when numbered cars with less miles are going for less than i was going to put into mine.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Default cars

we do it for the love of cars! and the freedom to have and drive what we like! good luck
Old 06-28-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

I see it now that I am trying to sell mine I'm just glad I don't HAVE to or else I'd be taking a huge hit. But lower mile stock or light mod cars will still sell. Alot of them are in the 100K+ mile club now.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

cars always lose value, its the way it is. put as much or as little money into it as you want, you are never goign to get it back so you might as well drive it til the wheels fall off.

its a toy - play with it.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

I'm glad they are depreciating. This means parts should be getting cheaper.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jordan S.
I'm glad they are depreciating. This means parts should be getting cheaper.
lol!
Old 06-28-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JSmee99T/A
Now i have a base t/a with no engine trans or rear that needs paint and isnt worth ****.

LOL...DUH!
Old 06-28-2008, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

good news for me! Ima buy one in a year or two
Old 06-28-2008, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

How do you guys feel about our cars continuously loosing value. I kno it happens right when they leave the lot but i kbb'd mine today and its only worth 8k. I just paid it off and my balance was 7k after 3 years of payments. Now i have a base t/a with no engine trans or rear that needs paint and isnt worth ****. Not that i was thinking i was sitting on a gold mine or trying to profit but damn. How do you guys feel about this with your cars? I was going to dump like 13k into mine but now im having second thoughts especially when numbered cars with less miles are going for less than i was going to put into mine.

i'm sure you already know this but a newer car is not an investment. it all depends on what you want. do you want a bone stock low mileage car to never drive and store in a garage and hope that it accumulates value in 30 years or a car that gets driven and you enjoy driving it. i've got $20k+ in my car i don't give a damn how much its worth because i don't intend on selling it. every time i drive it its worth every penny to me. my only regret about spending that all that money is i didn't get a engine built for boost.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Banned

same here i intend to keep my car also
Old 06-28-2008, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
LOL...DUH!
surely your kno kbb price was for stock configuration. I just meant im in the middle of a drivetrain swap. i was thinking of going built 347 for a maggie and a 9". T56 is on its way but i will be spending like 14k ish and that could buy me a lower miles newer ws6 with perfect paint lol. Thats why i feel like i got hit by a brick. I do stick to the rule of only tearing apart base cars though. I would never do what i am to a ws6 or firehawk. I just wish i had decent paint like some guys dont even have to try for. I have a problem with the clear so theres a ton of white spots from wax all over the car. Sucks bad . I think i will be happy when shes back on the road problem free.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

The key to losing $$$ on any car is how long you keep it. Spend $20,000 on a low miles beauty or having $20,000 in your own 'built' car is ultra cheap if you keep it 10 years. Keeping a $20,000 F-body for 10 years is a lousy $2,000 per year provided you get ZERO back when you are ready to sell. What on this planet can give you such enjoyment and transportation for less than $200 a month?? (I know gas and maintenenace are not included but every car falls in this category). Now if you buy and sell cars every couple years you are going to take a hit. Everyone's situation is different but many owners will get some $$$ back when the car sells making the yearly loss even less. Compared to all forms of required payments like insurance, utilites, etc.. owning a nice car is a pittance. Build your car and enjoy it unless you are planning on selling real quick, but even then, I would still do it instead of driving an 'appliance' like a consumer mag would have everyone drive. Don't be discouraged.

Last edited by NC01TA; 06-29-2008 at 07:36 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Oddly enough, the value of f-bodies around here is appreciating! I have a '02 WS6 and a '00 Firebird.....I'm thinking about selling the Firebird in the near future so I have been researching what it's worth....the KBB price (and other sites like Edmunds, etc.) is higher now, a couple years later and with 10K+ more miles on it, than the KBB price when I first purchased it...although I'm sure that it'll quickly fall if gas keeps going up.....
Old 06-29-2008, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

yea i just checked my v6 and it seemed to level out its only lost a little over 1k. It now has 40k more miles and is 2 years older.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Yep! I even compared the KBB "fair" condition (just to see the lowest private party price it'd give me) to what I paid for it 2 years ago.....I still came out on top!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

but i think the v6s may hold the "drop off" years if you will because their demand for daily use is still there. Where as the less practical suffer. and when your already near the bottom its harder to drop much further. just my thought on that...
Old 06-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Teching In

but i think the v6s may hold the "drop off" years if you will because their demand for daily use is still there. Where as the less practical suffer. and when your already near the bottom its harder to drop much further. just my thought on that...

That's very true....it's weird though; my '02 WS6 gets about the same mpg as my '00 Firebird gets....I keep maintenance up on both of them, yet they are both very close....and neither are what I consider fuel efficient lmao! But if people want to buy the V6s (using mpg during daily use as a major factor) vs. the V8s, they will be sorely dissappointed....
Old 06-29-2008, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

I bought mine rather cheap and could make a little or break even if I sold it today, even with a few bolt-ons and 6,000 more miles than when I originally got it. When it's paid off in 2 1/2 more years, might not be the case...

I like my Camaro and intend on keeping it around. I know it'll be worth little to nothing someday, but you have to look at it another way. The cheaper these things get, the more we save and can put towards modifying them. It's like still being able to snag a nice 5.0 or LT1 for less than $5,000, although nice Foxbodies are starting to appreciate. I think these cars are the Foxbodies of the new generation, and nice examples will always catch a good dollar.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What?!

Nope, I just checked PBB (Paul Blue Book) and my car is right where it should be for valued worth...

...PRICELESS!

Cause it is not an option to sell my car...EVER!

When I die I'll make plans to have it donated to an automotive museum or something like that.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Personally, I plan on giving my W to my kids one day and I don't have any kids! I think it would be damn awesome to have a son and one day watch him light the tires up on my TA! Better yet, watch my daughter do it!