Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

99 TA headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 TA headlight problem

I replaced the gear in my driver side motor but or some weird reason when i turn on my headlights it wants to fold down and when turn them off it wants to go up. I tired moving it up by turning it manually but as soon as i turn my lights on it goes down. WTF is going on here? I have also tried opened the headlight manually and unplugged it then turned the lights on and plugged it in. The lamp came on but when i shut them off it still wanted to open up, It moved up trying to open as if it was closed. When i turned them back on it went down.

I also tried.
Turning the lights on then manually opening it up and unplugging it then re plugging it in and turning them off. Same thing happens. It trys to move up when i turn the head lights off and down when i turn them on.

The headlight does not come up or down at all. It trys to move but it wont come up at all. If i manually move it up it will close fine but wont re open.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Teching In

2 Videos of what my lights are doing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v0kZFkZKbI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JRBEdVvcb4

Thanks guys for any help.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Bump Someones gotta know a answer here.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Do you have the arm that raises and lowers the headlight connected to the motor correctly? You might have the arm bolted to the motor 180 degrees out. Look at the headlight that opens and closes correctly and see how the arm moves when you turn your headlights on and off. Then go back to your headlight that is not working properly and see how the arm needs to move to open and close the headlight.
I know when I had to replace the gear on my headlight motor I put the arm that raises and lowers the headlight wrong and it would not open the headlight.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Teching In

As much as you hate to hear this, I did the same with mine, ended up having to get a new headlight motor put in for it all to work right again. Sorry bout the bad news, those headlight motors and installs are a bitch. The GM boys must have had a good buzz on, and it must have been late on a friday when they invented that thing.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Ive pulled the headlight motor out of my car in..10 minutes or so. I've never actually had trouble with them (aside from the gear dying)

Quick Reply: 99 TA headlight problem