Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Anyone dislike their G8 GT's ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mines been great (other than the gas cap CEL everynow and then)
Old 08-19-2010, 11:00 PM

I think your "bads" are pretty minor. This is a GM car after all. I mean they skimped on a bunch of stuff because of the engine in it to keep it competitive. I had an 08 Mustang GT and it had it's fair share of bads too. I needed the space and I'm very happy with mine. It's a big GTO. I think the people who soup up the car even more should realize that if you bought it knowing you would add on a bunch of power adders that you maybe should of looked at something else.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:48 PM
12 Second Club

The best part if this car is smoking cars who think their faster.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by familycaronROIDS!
Agreed!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:24 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by familycaronROIDS!
^ This! It is amazingly fun to beat sports cars in a family sedan!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Extremely happy with mine still. Just over 26k since march 13th 2009, had 8 miles on it when I bought it essentially (well was actually 65, but had 8 on before I test drove it twice lol). Only gripes are the fragile water-based paint, and a minor issue with the seat side trim that's been taken care of. Roto-fab, tune, catback went on within weeks at about 1,500 miles, more to come sooner or later.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

I have had both the GT and currently have a GXP in my garage with no serious issues. These cars are really four door GTOs. The following is my observations about both cars.

Cylinder deactivation on the GTs really, really sucks. The car feels like it's half-asleep when it's working and there is a discernable vibration/buzz to it. The L99 Camaro SS I rented for a week had the same thing. HEMIs I've driven with it are the same. So are the GM trucks with it. It would be worth the money to get rid of it. The GT averaged the same mpg overall as my GXP with more power and without cylinder deactivation.

The interior door panels on these cars scuff if you breathe on them hard. I wish they were carpeted on the bottom or made of sterner stuff. I also wish the seatbacks were electric like my LS2 GTO was.

Both of my G8s had the steering wheel vibration but it was intermittent on both. It's something you have to live with and I don't notice it much anymore.

Like the LSX GTO the paint on the G8s is very soft and scratches, chips and mars easily. My GT had chips when I sold it for the GXP with just 7,000 miles. The GXP I had clear bra put on while it was new and it is well worth the money and flawless 14,000 miles later.

Both cars averaged 19mpg overall in mostly city commuting/driving. Which is very good IMO.

The performance of both is exceptional, especially the handling for a fullsize car. The suspension is extremely impressive in it's balance of performance and ride quality. The suspension and steering feel is the largest improvement over the LSX GTO, otherwise the cars are very similar. The car is very solid and well-engineered. The interior design is not luxurious but it is very athletic for a family car and the leather is a step over what GM puts in everything else they make.

I would purchase another one and have no plans to sell my GXP anytime soon.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Teching In

I have had zero problems with my GT. 12,500 miles in 15 months. Tires still look great, just did 2nd oil change(switched to Mobil1), Interior holding up well. My only complaint is I can't find another one in as good shape as mine for my wife to buy.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:49 AM

I got 2 words for ya ...... " TEST DRIVE "
Old 09-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Teching In

I love my 4000 pound sedan with 350 RWHP that will hopefully be in the 11s bolt-ons only in a few weeks.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:26 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by youngrushhour
I love my 4000 pound sedan with 350 RWHP that will hopefully be in the 11s bolt-ons only in a few weeks.
Good luck with that! Although congrats if you beat the 12.1 record...

I got to 12.5 with truly only bolt ons and still on stock tires with 361whp. With a converter, slicks/skinnies, and some other little things a couple guys got down to 12.1.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Good luck with that! Although congrats if you beat the 12.1 record...

I got to 12.5 with truly only bolt ons and still on stock tires with 361whp. With a converter, slicks/skinnies, and some other little things a couple guys got down to 12.1.
My best times were run mid-August so far. Haven't had the car at the track since then due to school and such. Hopefully will hit around 12.2 tomorrow at a track rental and then lower come November/December. Might need to add gears to get it, but we'll see.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

I like my 09 GT except for the fact that at 23000 miles it is going in again for a lower control arm-ectomy. Had one replaced about 2 months ago. This time all 4 (including the 8 week old one) are being replaced with a "kit" that GM has put together for these cars. I was assured that GM has cured what ailed the old ones. I sure as sh*t hope so. I'm also throwing an evap code that GM will have a fix for in mid Oct.
Add to that fun the crappy paint, crappy stereo system, drivers seat trim, smelly a.c., a steering wheel that had to be replaced because it came apart and all of the other fun stuff that others have mentioned. It makes you wonder if you really want to continue ownership much past the end of the 36/36.
It's too bad because it is a great value and very quick.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by formuhawk99
I like my 09 GT except for the fact that at 23000 miles it is going in again for a lower control arm-ectomy. Had one replaced about 2 months ago. This time all 4 (including the 8 week old one) are being replaced with a "kit" that GM has put together for these cars. I was assured that GM has cured what ailed the old ones. I sure as sh*t hope so. I'm also throwing an evap code that GM will have a fix for in mid Oct.
Add to that fun the crappy paint, crappy stereo system, drivers seat trim, smelly a.c., a steering wheel that had to be replaced because it came apart and all of the other fun stuff that others have mentioned. It makes you wonder if you really want to continue ownership much past the end of the 36/36.
It's too bad because it is a great value and very quick.
I have had some of these issues.
Yesterday, I found a small spot of rust on the roof where the paint was chipped away by a stone.

The AC also smells funny. I was told it was my cabin filter being too old.

No problems with the seating surfaces but I did have to do the sunroof panel fix where you put foam under it.

Suspension on my car is ok too but it seems to have a lot of noise going down the road. It isn't the tires. Could it be the carrier bearing?

I think the stereo system is all I could ever ask. I want to get some VIM action and run a 'carputer.'

I have never been able to get rid of the steering wheel shake and my car drifts to the right no matter how many RF balances or alignments. I told the dealer about the caster shim kit but they said it wasn't adjustable and acted annoyed.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:02 AM
Teching In

Default Sargegxp

Originally Posted by KC Henry
I will assume that the JD Power report provided by G8 owners is true since no one has stepped forward to disclaim all the common problems/issues that brand New G8's have that are constantly being talked about on all the G8 Forums.
I'm stepping up. What car is perfect? Other than a speaker swap, the G8 I've got is/has been fantastic. I got it w/12 miles on it.
Missed the boat?

Quick Reply: Anyone dislike their G8 GT's ?