Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

front end creaking noise, lower control arm issue???

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default front end creaking noise, lower control arm issue???

ok my 09 G8 GT just turned 37k on it and now the driver side suspension is making a creaking noise and also when i turn the wheel to the left it makes noise, i thought i read somewhere that these cars had a issue with front control arms? is there a TSB on this issue? Anyone got it that i could print off and take to the dealer...

thanks

Rob
Old 07-01-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a recall on the LCA's. If you take it in, make sure you have them replace all 4 instead of halfassing it (literally) and only doing 2. I had mine replaced a while back and now my driver side is creaking again so I may have gotten hosed on that one.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just had the front LCA's replaced for the 2nd time along with the front strut bushings and bearings and it really tightened up the car. The strut bushings were crushed which is a problem with a lot of G8's.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do the GXP's have this problem too, or is their suspension set up different?
Old 07-20-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

The GXP has the LCA problem too.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

LCAs are a problem, but there are other problems as well. The strut bearings tend to go and they can cause a similar noise. Also the strut mounts partially collapse and can also make noise. If you look under your hood, the big plates at the top of the shocks should be very close to the sheet metal. If you (or even your wife/kid) can get a finger between them, your strut mounts have collapsed and should be replaced with a polyurethane version from BMR, Lovells or Whiteline.

For LCAs, there is an updated kit that you can get.

I recently did LCAs, strut mounts and bearings, and Koni shock inserts in the front of my car. It solved all of my issues and the Koni shocks do seem to handle better.

Edit: Oh, and you can also take a look at the sway bar end links and the bushings. The end links go for some people, though those generally sound more like a clicking. The center bushings for the bar can squeak.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was about to ask if there are aftermarket parts to fix these problems. Question answered, good to know.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have the recall information?
Old 07-23-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

There is no recall. There was a TSB to modify the boots on the LCAs, but it is already expired. The parts should still be under warranty either way. Here's the TSB - you can try giving it to your dealer just to try to convince them to look at the LCAs: http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=10802

The updated kit is GM P/N 92249538 and it includes all 4 LCAs and all of the hardware needed. It runs about $250. Personally, I purchased it myself and installed it myself. My dealer sucks. I don't even think they bother to check it out before writing "can not reproduce" and giving it back. Need to find a non-crappy dealer service dept in my area...

Quick Reply: front end creaking noise, lower control arm issue???