Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Did i pick the right car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 03:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did i pick the right car?

i have an 04 gto m6, black.
i got rid of my 00 z28 for it, i LOVE the gto for what it is, and the interior is waaay better than the camaro, its also still kinda quick, love the manual, only thing is...

i want a car that i can make fast without spending a fortune, also want a car thats nice inside and out, leather, coupe, i think the goat in thought to be a level beneath the f body, 05+ mustangs, r/t challenger, r/t charger..

i know what the car is but to alot of people the outside is way plain jane. some think its FWD!!!

should I have held out for a ls2 goat or a c5z? or even....an 05+ stang?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:46 AM
On The Tree

u would end up spending the same $$ an ls1 is an ls1... parts cost the same.. i too thought there would be more of an aftermarket selection for the gto like there was for my camaros or trans ams.. more towards the tubular suspension aspect of it but still theres not much... but i wouldnt trade mine for another fbody anyday.. 06 impulse blue ls2 6 spd
Old 11-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would have held out for a c5z for sure, honest for the money thats the best buy, you get a ton of car what you pay for. not hating on your goat ,there nice but no where near a c5z imo.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:13 AM
12 Second Club

It would depend on what you wanted to start with. I like the fact the car doesn't scream boy-racer but that's what some want. If that was the case all three years are the wrong car because it's more a Euro-GT. . . fast, comfortable and sophisticated.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

just show them how fwd it really is.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Banned

I think for DD purposes the GTO is a far superior car. Has a much better suspension and ride quality, corners better, has a very nice and comfortable interior, much more modern with a lot more neat amenities. Has a useable backseat, unlike the Camaro. Only thing is the GTO weighs about 300-400 lbs more than the Camaro.

When it comes to modding, I don't know the LS2 aftermarket selection...but I do know the LS1 has one of the best, with more choices, so I think you'll be happy there. Sure the LS2 has a 50HP advantage, wouldn't take more than a couple of bolt on's and a tune to get there, and quickly surpass its power. Plus, I think the LS1 sounds nicer.

Only reason I wouldn't want to own a GTO is i don't like the looks of them. If I though my Camaro was plain Jane...then the GTO really is. Very plain looking car, not very sporty or muscular looking at all.

Don't fret about missing the chance on an '05+ Mustang GT. Unless it was a 5.0, you aren't missing much. While those were quick cars, and could probably keep up with your GTO in stock form, just remember the LS1 will respond better to mods than the 4.6 will, and it's a nicer car.

You made the right choice.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

^ agreed. I will chime in here as I first owned an 05 QSM/red interior LS2 goat with a big cam and all supporting mods, got bit by the C5Z bug and bought a nice 03Z w/ 9k miles nearly 3 years ago... sunk a bunch of money into Heads & Cam, got bored sold it and thought i'd save some money and buy an 04 GTO and have plenty of funds left over to sink into the car. In hindsight I really wish I wouldnt have sold my C5Z, I miss that car and may try to get back into one or a C6Z in the future once they dip in the $30k area, but that being said... for all practicality purpose the GTo is a much better car than the C5Z. I cant explain it the C5Z was a very RAW, connected feeling car and a driving experience that cannot be matched, even in the C6 platform IMO. But thats where the pleasure ended. "sorry gf, sorry kids, sorry friends, ive only got 2 seats."

but I now have an 04 GTO with worked suspension h/c, ect and itll walk circles around my old big cam LS2 goat. I tracked them both and have managed about a .5-.6 quicker ET in my 04', but again it has suspension too and roughly the same power as my LS2 cam only car did.

This thing is much more of a pleasure to drive on a day to day basis than my C5Z was. Its comfy & this is the nicest interior they have put in a GM vehicle to date IMO (well the 09+ CTS-V is pretty nuts, but thats not in a price range for most, but I simply mean better than the fbody, better than the C5Z, G8, ect.)

and nothing is better than someone running up on you, street or strip pick your poison, and your 'piddly little 5.7 GTO' and getting walked off by this Pontiac grand Prix on steroids. Ive hurt many feelings in this car locally

terrible grammar, sorry guys im on my phone. Hope this helps
Old 11-15-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed with the above. I have 122,000 on my non-DD GTO since purchasing it new in May 2006, so it should be pretty obvious how much I love to drive it.

One of the best parts? I open the hood of my car, and can see every spark plug. I've replaced cam and heads myself, tune it myself, rebuilt the front end myself, replaced the differential myself, maintained it myself, and have done other mods that I wouldn't even consider doing on Vette or F-Body. The car is perhaps the easiest to DIY repair I've ever owned.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:43 AM
TECH Regular

Did I pick the right car? Very rarely do you hear a goat owner ask that question. I've only had my '04 for 4 months but I love it! There's not many cars that I would trade it on in a heart beat. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is an '87 GN...modified of course. It's one of my all time favorite cars. BA fast as hell v6 muscle car...what's not to love?
Old 12-09-2011, 06:24 AM
Staging Lane

the things i dont like about my GTO is the stock driveshaft, how the stock rear suspension wheel hops like crazy, how much it wieghs, and how expensive some of the parts are, but other than, the look (not in your face and can usually get away with louder exhausts and tinted lights etc..), interior quality, ride quality, more usable seating, better DD, more comfortable,.

but if i were to make a drag car or wanna have a car that is in your face, i would pick a camaro. hands down. weighs leighs, less power robbing drivetrain, parts are cheaper (suspension, wheels, etc..) and i miss my t-tops lol

but if i want a car that you dont see all the time, and is less suspicious (needs to be less with my driving record), that people will actually enjoy sitting comfortably in, and even with a loud exhuast, its quiet inside.

my interior:

camaro interior:

you decide.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:31 AM
Captain Double Post

05 and up stangs are total junk, they are such dogs its not even funny, be glad you didnt get one of those, the ride is not all that,and the power is not even there, a new 5.0 would be a good buy, gtos are great for dd, but i wouldnt want one for a car to get in and have some fun on the weekends.im going 03 cobra, i have wanted one for a very long time now,
Old 12-09-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

GTO ftw. What's better than an ls engine?
Old 12-09-2011, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

I just went through the same process of deciding what to get. I concluded I'm not old enough for a GTO and all the vett guys around here are so full of them selves I can't stand it. So I went with another Camaro. Maybe in a few years when I turn 60 I'll look at a GTO again...
Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

Hate to burst your bubble but since you got an 04 Goat... you actually might be a bit slower from a dig (considering both are stock, both manual, similar tires, etc.). Stock LS1F Body's can beat LS1 AND LS2 goats *from a dig. LS2 goats got the LS1 F Body's from a roll though. You basically got a heavier car with the same powerplant and IRS. Assuming both cars are stock, you will for sure be slower from a dig and quite possibly from a roll. Not saying the GTO is a bad car, but if you understand that you purchased a heavier car but basically kept the same motor (GTO LS1 has LS6 intake I believe), you'd noticethe power-wight being worse. The one thing you might like better is the interior of the GTO, guess that's mostly prefernece... enjoy your new car!
Old 12-09-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by charchri4
I just went through the same process of deciding what to get. I concluded I'm not old enough for a GTO and all the vett guys around here are so full of them selves I can't stand it. So I went with another Camaro. Maybe in a few years when I turn 60 I'll look at a GTO again...
I say wait and get a corvette... preferably a Z. If their's a bunch of douche bag vette guys around you, be the vette driver that ISN'T! That way you have a great performance car and the attitude to deserve it. GTO's are fast, but the weight, IRS, and price rules them out IMO. I have a 98 Z M6 stock and I've ran against an 05 goat auto also stock and beat him from a dig. From a roll he got me. Maybe if it were a manual he could've kept up from a dig, but I *highly doubt it from how much I was pulling on him. Considering the power difference (LS1-LS2) I for sure thought he would've beat got me from both a dig or roll. The IRS and extra weight is a big drawback. If you can't resist a GTO, go for an 05/06 and get that LS2, great motor.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

I absolutely love my 2006 GTO. Great interior and ride.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by scphilli
I absolutely love my 2006 GTO. Great interior and ride.
Yea I'm sure the ride is better than an F Body hah, forgot to mention that. One advantage of that IRS.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Even with the drawbacks of the weight and IRS I still love my goat. Sure it's heavy, but it's still plenty fast. Great comfort. Great ride. Great power. I have no regrets.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:23 AM
Teching In

I just bought an 04' goat, auto, on tuesday and i love it! I had an 02' gt and it was between a 03-04 cobra and a gto. i have some friends that have some bad *** SS' camaros but i wanted something different. I love how comfortable the goat is to drive, and they dont look bad. Yea, they may have a little more weight to them...but the LS1 puts out plenty of power, add a few bolt on's and you have completely compensated for the weight. I would not recommend recommend a mustang unless it is a shelby or a terminator. Hope you enjoy your goat!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheMayneEvent22
I just bought an 04' goat, auto, on tuesday and i love it! I had an 02' gt and it was between a 03-04 cobra and a gto. i have some friends that have some bad *** SS' camaros but i wanted something different. I love how comfortable the goat is to drive, and they dont look bad. Yea, they may have a little more weight to them...but the LS1 puts out plenty of power, add a few bolt on's and you have completely compensated for the weight. I would not recommend recommend a mustang unless it is a shelby or a terminator. Hope you enjoy your goat!
I too wanted something different than a camaro/trans am. Not that there's anything wrong with them, I just wanted something that you see less often and the interior of the GTO won me over. It's simple yet elegant and oh so comfortable. Not to mention the yellow guages that match my car are awesome. It's the small things that did it for me. I like how the GTO has a subtle aggressive look to it...especially with the SAP grills and front bumper. You won't see my *** in a Mustang unless it's a 65-70 boss or fastback.

Quick Reply: Did i pick the right car?