Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Time to Replace Struts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to Replace Struts?

The question is, about how much time is involved in replacing the struts? I would likely have a garage do it (do not have a spring compressor or lift) just for safety and ease. I was looking at KYB GR-2 Excel struts online for around $115. Probably buy those, the bearings and bushings (from BMR), and put that all on together. Just wanted to get opinions on quality of KYB struts and time to put on. Car has 37,000 miles.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Should take a few hours alltogether, but you will need spring compressor unless the new struts come completely assembled with springs on there. Besides that not much can go wrong. Take the wheels off, a few bolts at the bottom, a bolt at the top and out comes the assembly. Then you have to take it apart with the compressor, put it back on the new strut and just reverse the process back into the car.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Kyb is like stock struts and shocks. Get pedders or koni. Are you going to lower your Goat
Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Easy to do yourself in a few hours. You can rent a spring compressor at Autozone for free. A jack, jackstands and basic handtools are all you really need.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:43 AM
Teching In

Always nice to do your own work
Old 01-30-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

I did my Dad's a few weeks ago.

He bought the Monroe Sensatracs. He is on stock springs and loves the ride of the new ones. His 05 is just a cruiser.

I broke it into 2 nights. I did the rear the first night. Those are easy but working around the gas tank can be frustrating.

The fronts are a little more work, but all in all not that bad. No surprises as the tutorials online are pretty through. I always worked by myself which does make it harder and slower.

http://kb.ls1gto.com/KB/article.aspx...6&cNode=7T6C7G

http://kb.ls1gto.com/KB/article.aspx...5&cNode=7T6C7G

If you can find another guy to help you drink beer and lend a hand it should go nice and quick and easy.

Quick Reply: Time to Replace Struts?