Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Stumble when warm when taking off

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumble when warm when taking off

I have an 04 gto with , in short, Cam headers exhaust . About a month ago I've been havinf a stumble from takeoff to around 2400rpms when warm after starting the car and taking off. It idles fine. It will clear up after 10 seconds or so and be fine until next time i shut it off and take off again after starting. Fuel pressure is 60psi at idle with no dropping. Plugs , wires, maf, all checked out fine. No visible vacuum leaks. Im at a loss to what to try next . please give me some suggestions. Stock plug wires with tr6 plugs. Ive had the plugs in months prior to this happening .
Old 08-30-2016, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Doubt it's this, but plugs tight and insulator free of damage? Usually cause an idle issue too. How did you check wires? I'd look with an ohm meter and move wires around looking at constant figure.

Other things you mentioned are basic and I'd get someone to look with you.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just made sure they were making contact and not torn
Old 08-31-2016, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not enough, you need to actually check how conductivity is doing. All stuff has to be looked at correctly, otherwise, you can't start to single out and diagnose stuff.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking it's an 02 sensor, sounds like it is one of the front ones. When they start going bad they send info to the PCM to richen up the fuel flow to prevent going lean and burning the motor up causing the stumble you describe. Check both front 02 sensors and the wiring for damage.
The rear 02's will throw a code letting you know the catalytic converters are bad.
Also check that your intake tube from the air filter to the MAF and then to the TB are good and tight, as well as the TB connection to the manifold, there is an o-ring that mates it to the manifold, these cars are 10-12 years old now and rubber/plastic parts don't live much past that.

Quick Reply: Stumble when warm when taking off