Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

First oil change / big skid plate

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 06:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First oil change / big skid plate

I changed the oil my my '04 GTO for the first time at 1000 miles to get the break-in oil out.

Whoa! What a skid plate.

Dropped the skid plate to get access to the oil pan and filter. That skid plate is pretty beefy for a sports car. The Aussies must use it for Kangaroo squishing.

My car had a PF44 filter (old style) on it. The owners manual said to use a PF46 filter (new style). GM must have been using up their old stock of PF44's.

I was also surprised to see that the GTO takes 6.5 quarts of oil. I thought I was refilling the Exxon Valdeeze for a while. I'm used to my F-body only taking 5.5 quarts.

Is the skid plate under the GTO's a structural memeber for the car? It didn't seeem like it when I looked. The skid plate seemed beefier than the one on my Tahoe.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Its not structural, those little bolts holding it on aren't going to stay in one piece too long if you bash a 'roo or two. Its definitely a beefy piece though
Old 12-21-2004, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is not a structural piece.

This car has a Rear steer chassis in that all steering rack and compenentry is behind the centerline of the front axle. In order to accomodate for this, Holden had to implement a new oil pickup which also required a different oil pan with it's sump on the front half of the motor. SInce there really isn't a big cast "K" member like the F-Body to absorb impacts with any objects, in order to protect that oil pan, they installed the skidplate.

Personally, since I don't go off roading with mine, I took the skidplate off completely. It weighs like 15lbs. There are aftermarket ones available like the BMR unit, but I just left it off.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

Agreed, the stocker is a PITA. If you want to keep something there, get the BMR skidplate. It looks good, and is much lighter than the cast iron stocker. I drove a week or so without one at all, but with the car sitting about 1/2" lower in the front, I thought I should put one back on.

Check with the sponsors, many have 10-15% off BMR stuff, that's how I got mine.
www.cmotorsports.com was the place.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Teching In

This may be 'urban legend' but I thought that I read either in this board or another that the purpose of the plate was either or also to aid airflow/cooling. The point that was made was that removing it or putting in one of the aftermarket plates that has large gaps in it defeats the purpose. Appreciate the definitive answer as I am contemplating changing out the plate.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

"Urban Legend"

I don't know how much better cooling you can get than letting the oil pan hit the cool air flowing under the car from having it removed.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Hey CMNTM...How do you like the volume with the SW LT's without cats and the Loudmouth? I got my headers in tonight and already have the loudmouth.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

It was so obnoxiously loud that I had to put catalytic converters on to quell some volume and the rasp it had.

When the windows were closed, it vibrated stuff inside the car. When the Fiance heard me get on it about a mile away came the order to quiet it down or else she wouldn't get in the car.

At WOT it was on par with my heads and cammed Camaro for volume. There's a sound clip in this section somewhere (with cats) of me getting on it in 1st as well as an idling and revving .MPG file
Old 12-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57
It was so obnoxiously loud that I had to put catalytic converters on to quell some volume and the rasp it had.

When the windows were closed, it vibrated stuff inside the car. When the Fiance heard me get on it about a mile away came the order to quiet it down or else she wouldn't get in the car.

At WOT it was on par with my heads and cammed Camaro for volume. There's a sound clip in this section somewhere (with cats) of me getting on it in 1st as well as an idling and revving .MPG file
Thanks bro...that's what I figured. Cats for me and my neighbors.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Personally I think it sounded great (although I don't care for rasp) as long as the windows were open, but when closed, even I was annoyed with it after awhile.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:09 PM
Teching In

For what it's worth, the source of the cooling purpose of skid plate was the Holden manual from what I read on another Board. Not sure whether it really serves that purpose or not but did want to pass it along.............as someone also noted on that Board if it was cooling only, why not thick plastic which was a good point.

"An oil pan under-tray (1) also forms an integral part
of the air flow system around the GEN III V8 engine
and must always be reinstalled after removal for
service operations, such as engine oil draining and
oil filter replacement.
NOTE: This tray is not designed as an oil pan
stone guard."
Old 12-23-2004, 07:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ronaldvetteron
"An oil pan under-tray (1) also forms an integral part
of the air flow system around the GEN III V8 engine
and must always be reinstalled after removal for
service operations, such as engine oil draining and
oil filter replacement.
NOTE: This tray is not designed as an oil pan
stone guard."
I never would have guess that. Thanks.

I guessed Kangaroo squisher (or stone guard).
Old 01-11-2005, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

I ordered the SLP skid plate. It is not solid like the stock one. I bought it for this reason so i didnt have to take it off to change the oil. I havent even recieved it yet so i cant say yet if it drives?? any different. What do you guys think? Does it need that solid skid palte on their for aerodynamics? Is it not going to be as stable at high speeds? i dont want it to create a parachute under my car.lol

Quick Reply: First oil change / big skid plate