Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

New goat owner in Houston with a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:24 AM
AWD
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New goat owner in Houston with a couple questions

Hello all. Apparantly, I registered here back in '02 and forgot about it. I'm now making my first post

Picked up a red 05 6spd gto earlier this month. Came with SLP cat back and springs. Other than that, the rest is stock. My first mod will more than likely be a short throw. I've only had experience with a pro 5.0 I had in my old Mach 1. (any other suggestions?)

Anyway, main question is...what are the first things I should beef up before I dive into the motor? (of course brakes will not be ignored) I've seen some pics of the driveshaft and it made me worry..lol

TIA
Old 04-23-2008, 08:30 AM
12 Second Club

As far as the shifter goes, most satisfied people have either the GMM Ripshift or the Pro Billet. I have the GMM myself and love this **** out of it.

The main thing you'll want to "beef" up will be the rear end. Harrop diff cover does a good job at keeping things in check.

Also, not saying this isn't a good site, but you'll get alot more info over on LS2GTO.com. They have worlds of info on there. Anyway's, congrats on the new goat! You should post up some pictures.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:44 AM
AWD
Teching In

LS2GTO.com? I'll check that one out. I posted on GTOforum.com, but traffic on that site seems rather....slow. Here are the pics...

Originally Posted by AWD
Here are the pics I posted on another local forum. It was a pretty day so I wiped both the boat and the bike down.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Did you get that one at Beck & Masten? I might have driven that one a few weeks ago. I just got the Billet Products shifter and it is amazing, but it doesn't come cheap at $395 shipped. The GMM ripshift is your only other real option but some people have had issues with them.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:14 PM
AWD
Teching In

Originally Posted by 91Z28
Did you get that one at Beck & Masten? I might have driven that one a few weeks ago. I just got the Billet Products shifter and it is amazing, but it doesn't come cheap at $395 shipped. The GMM ripshift is your only other real option but some people have had issues with them.
Yes sir, picked it up from Beck and Masten on the 8th. I found it online at the last minute that morning and managed to get off work after lunch to go check it out. When I drove up, a couple was already looking at it and taking it for a test drive! I was like "aww man..don't do this to me!" They were already talking to the sales guy about putting money down and everything. I lucked out though...great credit rocks.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

Congrats on the GOAT! Real nice looking car.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Launching!

The GMM is a popular shifter. The drive shaft is aweak link but there are better one$ available. You have to really be abusing it on a mostly stock engine to be breaking anything. Try to eliminate the wheel hop with drag bags and the Harrop rear end cover. There are some upgrades for the haft shafts using thicker Porsche shafts with stronger CV cages.

Last edited by Cool_Hand_Luke; 04-23-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Teching In

I went with the gmm and I love it.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AWD
Yes sir, picked it up from Beck and Masten on the 8th. I found it online at the last minute that morning and managed to get off work after lunch to go check it out. When I drove up, a couple was already looking at it and taking it for a test drive! I was like "aww man..don't do this to me!" They were already talking to the sales guy about putting money down and everything. I lucked out though...great credit rocks.
They move their used GTOs pretty damn fast. They wouldn't play ball with me on the price so I went over to DeMontrond and picked one up instead. Your car probably wasn't on their lot than 3 days, as it arrived Saturday the 5th. I pulled my front plate bracket off too but now I need to get the holes filled and painted.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Welcome to the HERD Nation, Nice car you got. Need help or info shoot me a line

Quick Reply: New goat owner in Houston with a couple questions