Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Will a Camaro ever handle as good as a Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 06:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will a Camaro ever handle as good as a Corvette?

On my 02 Camaro Z28 I have Konis up front and Bilsteins in the rear, springs, sub-frame connectors, 275 40 17 tires, and the tower brace.

Honestly... am I even coming close to a C5 Vette? I've always wanted one but I've never driven one so I don't know how they handle.

Basically like the title... can I make my Camaro handle better than a Corvette? Ever? Give it to me straight. I know that both cars' suspension is way different... and weight... and weight distribution... and other stuff. But can I make my Camaro handle as well as a Corvette ever or no? Thanks
Old 09-25-2012, 06:31 AM
Staging Lane

I forgot to mention that I don't ever drag race... it's too boring for me. I'm talking about canyon carving for now or maybe autocross in the future.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last few years I have been driving my friends 2004 Corvette Z06 with nothing more then a bigger front sway bar and Penske shocks. I have raced it in autocross with Kumho XS street tires and Hoosier A6's. To be honest, not many cars can beat it. For example, the last autocross I did I finished 4th. overall out of 145 cars. I was running Hoosier A6's. I beat many modified cars. The C5 Z06 weighs about #3020 has 405hp. and perfect gearing for autocross. You can adjust ride height and get up to 2.5 neg. camber in the front. 1.2 neg. in the back. Castor is also adjustable. The regular C5 is pretty good too. My friends Corvette is fun to drive, even though I own a highly modified Corvette. Mines about 2-3 seconds faster a lap then his. I was never a big Corvette fan, but after I drove one I went out and bought one. Never regretted it.

Steve A.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

The last AutoX (and coincidently my first AutoX) I beat an 02 Vette by 3 seconds, a 2011 Gt500 by 2.5 seconds, and a 2012 boss mustang by 2 seconds. Had I been able to drive (Im a rookie) I would have probably run at least 2 seconds faster. On a road course, it would be more challenging. To answer your question...I don't know, but in time, I will find out.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This has been asked a lot before, I found a couple similar threads:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-handling.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-raci...ies-track.html
Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love these questions.

Most people never explore the limits of a factory stock F body, just like sport bikes the capabilites are WAY out there.

The driver is the key to making a car fast, not a parts list. Yes these cars need brake ducts, pads, brake fluid to last a 30 minute session of real abuse.

When a well driven Miata passes you its not really about the car so much.

I saw a guy at Barber in a rental Crown Vic ruining a lot of guys self confidence one weekend.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:22 AM
Staging Lane

For sure I know that the driver is the main difference. I'm just talking about the car itself I guess. I'm mostly just curious since I've never driven a Vette...
Old 09-27-2012, 02:22 AM
Staging Lane

And thanks for the links BTW
Old 09-27-2012, 06:59 AM
TECH Veteran

A Vette is another animal, I put my NT05 track tires on my Vette and drove some on-off ramps near the house and was amazed.

The grip is way up there, easy to go fast in a Vette(as you should be).

I pushed to see where the limit was, its a little past where my Z28 is but up to that point driving it fast is uneventful. Wen it broke loose it was a nice 4 wheel drift.

I will have a Vette as a trackday car at some point, but for now I like the F body.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll echo the point about the driver being key. I've seen the POS in my footer embarrass some MUCH more expensive cars - but not with me behind the wheel

But truthfully, drivers being equally skilled and equally unconcerned about beating on the car, the Corvette will be better on the track. In fact, after watching a few races at Road America (June Sprints, some track weekends), it appears to my eye that Corvettes and Vipers pretty much own the "big iron" categories. Now, that doesn't mean F-bodies can't be competitive. They are, and can be damned impressive.

Beyond driver skill, there is another factor which a lot of people don't consider: the willingness to push the car to the edge, at the risk of banging it up. The thought of wadding up a C5 or C6 can be a powerful de-motivator for someone who isn't an absolute speed junkie. At the same time, a straight donor F-body can be found for stupid-cheap prices.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree. I have a modded 02 camaro that was a salvage title,bought cheap and modded for the rr and dd. I bought a C6 Z06 last year and went to the track. Besides some bad tires the Z06 was not a controlled event, and having $35,000 more in the Z kept me from pushing it. Got lapped by several folks that I should not have. Grabbed the camaro, and even with street tires proceeded to lap the guys that had lapped me in the Z just because I'd drive it harder and knew when it would start to reach it's limits. Not so with the Z. When it went, it went 90 degrees sideways and took my huevos with it.

As Sam Strano said...at their limits the Fcar is easier to drive. But head to head an experienced driver with experience in both, the Z will be faster, especially if $ is no concern.

IF you are racing on the cheap, used to driving a solid axle car, and will spend a few bucks on some suspension mods, better brake pads and fluid, you will be surprised how well the Fbod will do. Stay out of the upper snoot class with deep pockets and high hp and you'll do just fine.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1981TA

Beyond driver skill, there is another factor which a lot of people don't consider: the willingness to push the car to the edge, at the risk of banging it up. The thought of wadding up a C5 or C6 can be a powerful de-motivator for someone who isn't an absolute speed junkie. At the same time, a straight donor F-body can be found for stupid-cheap prices.
THIS!!!!!

Once the car in my sig sells, I am buying a cheap TA to do this and push it as hard as I can!
Old 11-07-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeh I had a Vette and sold it, If I crash the F body....by a roller ANYWHERE swap all the stuff over and get back at it.

A Vette is MUCH harder to do big repairs on, alot more electronic "nanny's" to go bad on the car.

You get a F body to 450rwhp, 3300 lbs, Watts link on 4 315's and a good driver thats a fast *** car. Here is a car as I just described, my buddy has about 5 years of HPDE experience, the car is on Nitto NT-05's.

He passes me at 2:50 and then gets the C6 Z06 also on Nt-05's with cam and exhaust also. I have 385 rwhp and weigh 4000 lbs with an instructor.

http://youtu.be/q0qkpqNwLvM

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 11-07-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

C5 Z06 gives you more bang fot the Dollar on road course.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1981TA

Something the douches in the evo/scubbies/caymens/miatas bla bla bla cant wrap their ricer minds around!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Default F vs Y body

I like 108" wheelbase for predictability at high speeds. Back in the day, my 03 SD455 TA would embarass a lot of vettes in the twisty's, The rougher the road the better. That was 40 years ago!

I picked up a used/damaged C5Z for less than most have in thier motors. Granted it has over 100,000 miles, needed front bumper cover, and front inner/outer fender.

I gutted the interior, installed coolers, cage, seats, and harness. (safety first)
The oem brakes need to be upgraded.

I like the full frame, low center of gravity, availability of aftermarket performance parts, and aerodynamic capabilities of this vette.

My goal is to safely run the hell out of this car and if it breaks, throw some used parts at it and repeat.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by yooperLS6
I like 108" wheelbase for predictability at high speeds. Back in the day, my 03 SD455 TA would embarass a lot of vettes in the twisty's, The rougher the road the better. That was 40 years ago!

I picked up a used/damaged C5Z for less than most have in thier motors. Granted it has over 100,000 miles, needed front bumper cover, and front inner/outer fender.

I gutted the interior, installed coolers, cage, seats, and harness. (safety first)
The oem brakes need to be upgraded.

I like the full frame, low center of gravity, availability of aftermarket performance parts, and aerodynamic capabilities of this vette.

My goal is to safely run the hell out of this car and if it breaks, throw some used parts at it and repeat.
You won't regret it!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Launching!

In my experience me and my brother constantly whoop miatas, crx's, and vettes at our autocross club and on the roadcourse in our 4th gen camaros.

Mods are kyb adj shocks and struts, strano springs, umi sway bars, adj torque arm, adj rear lcas, adj panhard bar, strut tower brace, hawks pads, except my brother has brembos up front and i have c5 brakes, 295 and 315 kumho v710s.

Then one day a stock zo6 with sway bars was netting about the same times as us.
So i would say a c5 zo6 is a better handling car than an f body.

Mods for this year is a road race k member, front boxed lcas, strano sway bars, and my brothers doing a watts link.

Last edited by Snkebait95; 01-05-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you want to go fast out of the box, then a C5 Z06 is the ticket. But my car with Strano springs, bars and Koni's isn't too far behind. I'm stock powered (with bolt on's) but I think I could outrun them with more power. But, then I'd be Highly modded, against a stock vette. No way I could keep up with a C6 Z06 on the track. AutoX is pretty close with the Vettes.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:08 AM
Staging Lane

The vettes weigh less, can fit more rubber, and generally have better power plants. You will have to do a lot of work to smoke the vettes. I am in the same boat! I have a CTSV! I need to do a ton to keep up!

Quick Reply: Will a Camaro ever handle as good as a Corvette?