Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Pushing the front tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pushing the front tires

I have a 94 z28 convertible. Not really a corner kind of guy more into the str8 line stuff, but there is sometimes you need to be able to turn. The car has stock shock and struts, sportlines, 12 bolt, relocation brackets, box style lca's, rear 22mm sway, 32mm front, strut tower brace.

The tires are m/t drag radials out back and just regular street tires up front 275's all the way around. Its just wehn I turn it just slides the front tires. They give up way to easy. The back sticks great the fronts do not. Would it be as simple as a tire swap for the front?
Old 01-04-2014, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by my94blackz
I have a 94 z28 convertible. Not really a corner kind of guy more into the str8 line stuff, but there is sometimes you need to be able to turn. The car has stock shock and struts, sportlines, 12 bolt, relocation brackets, box style lca's, rear 22mm sway, 32mm front, strut tower brace.

The tires are m/t drag radials out back and just regular street tires up front 275's all the way around. Its just wehn I turn it just slides the front tires. They give up way to easy. The back sticks great the fronts do not. Would it be as simple as a tire swap for the front?
Does the front let go when you apply the gas or not?

I would swap tires with a buddy(full set) as long as all the tires are the same and go drive the car.

If you want that car to turn it was way too much rear bar vs front bar. In theory this "should" make the rear loose(er).

Bound up swaybar bushings will do this also.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Launching!

It just lets go anytime i hit a corner hard and fast. Im the type driver that attacks corners. Come in hott, brake, then turn. Im normally off the brake and gas threw the first part of the turn. The rear just pushs the front tires. I would rather the rear step out than the front slide.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

With all due respect, you basically have close to the worst possible suspension setup for cornering.
Stock shocks are garbage, sportline springs are way too low with not enough spring rate to compensate for the drop, a 12bolt is far from ideal for handling, relocation brackets will cause push and snap oversteer, your swaybars are rear biased, causing push and snap oversteer, and im guessing the rear LCA are poly bushings, which will bind and cause snap oversteer, and you are running drag radials in the back, which will cause major push.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

It just lets go anytime i hit a corner hard and fast. Im the type driver that attacks corners. Come in hott, brake, then turn. Im normally off the brake and gas threw the first part of the turn. The rear just pushs the front tires. I would rather the rear step out than the front slide.
Then there is the driving technique, thats just asking for understeer, especially with that suspension.
If you want a WAY better balanced car(ride and handling will be like driving a totally different car, think M3 / C5 Z06) that can go strait and turn, look into some good shocks (Koni SA's for example), good springs (strano), matching swaybars (strano 35mm front, 22mm rear) and rod-ended or rubber bushings. Put the same tires on the front and rear of the car as well.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Yea i understand its not an ideal set up. Im not looking for all out conering. I just like having a fast str8 line car that looks good and can handle a turn when i need to get away in a hurry.

With that being said if I ran a bigger front sway bar and some double adjustable coil overs help? The struts and shocks are done, and to be able to keep hooking as the power keeps increasing for the drag side im going to need coil overs. For the coil over stuff which will give me the best of both worlds for drag and turn?
Old 01-05-2014, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea i understand its not an ideal set up. Im not looking for all out conering. I just like having a fast str8 line car that looks good and can handle a turn when i need to get away in a hurry.

With that being said if I ran a bigger front sway bar and some double adjustable coil overs help? The struts and shocks are done, and to be able to keep hooking as the power keeps increasing for the drag side im going to need coil overs. For the coil over stuff which will give me the best of both worlds for drag and turn?
"Not ideal" is an understatement.
A bigger front bar (like 35mm or 36mm) will certainly help(which you can disconnect an endlink at the dragstrip, and reconnect before you leave), and the coilovers will help if they are proper ones (NOT drag coilovers like QA1, Afco, Strange, viking etc.) - that will only make things even worse.
If you are dead set on a coilover (which you shouldn't be) then look at KW, Penskie or race bilstiens.
Honestly I would just go back to stock spring and run a good shock like SLP bilstiens, Koni STRs or Koni SA's. That will be more than enough for good handling, ride and launching, and what I would consider "best of both worlds", and the closest compromise.
You WILL be able to launch ok on handling parts, but you WILL NOT be able to handle ok on drag parts (as you have seen).
Old 01-05-2014, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

What posi unit is in the 12 bolt?
Old 01-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help guys, thats why im asking questions. I just dont know. The 12 bolt has a detroit true trac in it. Well if I get coilovers it will likely raise it back up. I just need to find a good mix of drag and curves. Car needs to primarily set up for drag but needs to be able to turn decently. It doesnt need to be on a rail, but needs to out run a mediocre driver in a charger and such
Old 01-05-2014, 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Very first thing I would do is swap a full set of tires with a buddy and go drive the car. As long as all the tires are a matched set in size and make.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
"Not ideal" is an understatement.
A bigger front bar (like 35mm or 36mm) will certainly help(which you can disconnect an endlink at the dragstrip, and reconnect before you leave), and the coilovers will help if they are proper ones (NOT drag coilovers like QA1, Afco, Strange, viking etc.) - that will only make things even worse.
If you are dead set on a coilover (which you shouldn't be) then look at KW, Penskie or race bilstiens.
Honestly I would just go back to stock spring and run a good shock like SLP bilstiens, Koni STRs or Koni SA's. That will be more than enough for good handling, ride and launching, and what I would consider "best of both worlds", and the closest compromise.
You WILL be able to launch ok on handling parts, but you WILL NOT be able to handle ok on drag parts (as you have seen).
The entire post: QFTT. Especially the front bar needs to be bigger or go back to a 19mm bar.

The part in bold is going to make the car so much more enjoyable to drive. Just the stock shocks on Bilstiens (Can't compare to the others since I haven't run them), the car rode, hooked and handled really really well (even better on strano springs).

Quick Reply: Pushing the front tires