Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Radiator recs? Becool 60028?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 01:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator recs? Becool 60028?

I would like to increase the reliability of the car as I start to regularly beat on it at the track in the heat of southern California summer and I am planning on upgrading the radiator. I have had some cooling issues due to having a chrs1313RA (which is off now), a removed shroud to fit the before mentioned ram air scoop (which is now back together but needs the joints where I cut it duct taped), and a loose fitting Gates hose that was losing some coolant. Not interested in an LT1 radiator want to do it right with an all aluminum. The more direct fit the better and if it has an integrated oil cooler great but not necessary as I can always get the upcoming Improved Racing oil cooler for our cars. Is anyone running Becool 60028 ($530 on summit right now) or have another rec?
Old 05-30-2014, 08:01 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed.

I'm also looking into this...many have said to go straight to oil cooling but from what i've read it affects oil pressure...ugh.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

While running my car at the track, I've watched the temps pretty closely, and noticed that water temps stay pretty consistently around 180-190. At the same time, I've seen oil reach 280.

My radiator isn't anything special - a cheapy plastic / aluminum thing that was $109 delivered from Rock Auto -- and it is more than adequate for keeping the water temp down. Heck, My fan only covers about 2/3 of it.

But... it doesn't have an oil cooler, and I think that's probably where I'm going to get the best bang for the cooling buck. The Improved Racing thermostatic cooler looks about perfect. IIRC, going with larger diameter oil lines (-10AN compared to -8AN) will impact pressure less. However, the Z06 oil cooling system is 1/2" (-8AN) and it seems more than adequate for the job.

Anyway, food for thought.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1981TA
While running my car at the track, I've watched the temps pretty closely, and noticed that water temps stay pretty consistently around 180-190. At the same time, I've seen oil reach 280.

My radiator isn't anything special - a cheapy plastic / aluminum thing that was $109 delivered from Rock Auto -- and it is more than adequate for keeping the water temp down. Heck, My fan only covers about 2/3 of it.

But... it doesn't have an oil cooler, and I think that's probably where I'm going to get the best bang for the cooling buck. The Improved Racing thermostatic cooler looks about perfect. IIRC, going with larger diameter oil lines (-10AN compared to -8AN) will impact pressure less. However, the Z06 oil cooling system is 1/2" (-8AN) and it seems more than adequate for the job.

Anyway, food for thought.
I know that my stock gauge is not accurate but I am usually around 190-200 on the street right now in the summer and 210 or a hair above that mark on the track. No idea what my oil temps are for now. I am now looking into doing a LG Motorsports vs Dewitts vs Ron Davis with the integrated oil cooler. Thinking of going with the Improved Racing oil cooler block mount adaptor with the two extra ports so I can run oil temp and oil press senders off it too. Will have to see how big the line is I hadn't thought about stepping up to a bigger line until you mentioned it.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:25 AM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running a 60028. It is a direct fit but a really tight one.
All the stock parts went on. I think I had to cut the mounting rubber a little, it's been a while since I put it in.
I have all the stock shrouds/air dams in place.
It definitely helped keep the car cooler.....180's tracking it.

Quick Reply: Radiator recs? Becool 60028?