Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

NOLA Motorsports Park 2/20/16 C5 Z06 *VIDEO*

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running Hawk HPS with braided brake lines.

Yeah, I don't plan on going crazy on that straight away until I know my brakes can handle it. y'all think inserting a oil pan baffle is critical or just highly recommended?

Sorry for highjacking your thread FASTFATBOY. Nice laps, I'm hoping I can duplicate some of those lines.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Get those HPS out of there. You'll make it 5 laps if you are lucky before they are trash. You need some proper track pads like Hawk DTC, carbotech XP, etc. Don't forget to flush some high temp fluid through the system.

The pan baffle is a great piece. If you have the time to install one, I would recommend it. It's cheap insurance. If not, run a quart over full and check it after every session. I repeat - make it a habit to check after every session. LS motors pool oil in the cylinder heads and suck it through the pcv. Your oil level will drop after a session. Make sure it stays over filled all day.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve91T
I think the C5 Z06 is probably one of the best track cars out there. For the money, I can't think of anything that can do what these cars can do on the track right out of the box, and still be able to drive it comfortably on the street. I don't really care for their looks, but that's not a deal breaker for me. The regular rear hatch I think looks better.

That being said, I really enjoy my 4th gen. I am almost always the only Camaro at track days and nobody ever expects to see me in their mirror. By the end of the day, I usually have people coming up to me scratching their head and asking what the hell I've done to make a car that they thought is only good for 1/4 mile blasts actually corner well.

FastFatBoy, I know you were always melting the brakes off your 4th gen, but other than that, what's your opinion in the difference in fun factor between the two cars? I know the Z06 is faster, but is it more fun?
Yes, much more fun.

The only thing I miss about the Camaro is the guys scratching their heads about how fast it was.

You can't make a Camaro do what this car does and them both be in streetable trim. I learned this lesson at a PCA event in the advanced group I was getting passed pushing the car pretty hard, I had the realization the car had it's limits.

The Z06's limits are WAY above the Camaro even is stock form. The cars I KNEW I would have to let go by in the Camaro I can run with and pass now, as I get more comfortable in the car my speed will increase.

The Vette is more fun on the street also, chicks dig it, kids dig it....just fun to drive.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by camarokid91
My perspective is strictly from AX but the C5Z is superior in every way in regards to handling. They get power down so much better and faster than my camaro ever could. Street driving manners are about the same. They both ride like a brick on the street.
My Z06 rides WAY better than the Z28 ever did. No comparison, on any level.

I raised my car back up, turns and rides better.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by STFU racing
I have a 2000 TA with a 408 in it I've been autocrossing for a few years. Typical Strano/koni set up. I'll be taking it to NOLA April 25th for their track day. First time on a road course for me. I wanna do the optima street car challenge in NOLA in September.

Really excited about it. Any tips other than the basic, fresh brake fluid, torque lug nuts, etc. ???
What brakes are on the car? NOLA is very hard on brakes, with a 3300ft straight and a 90* turn 1 you need some brakes on the car.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Running Hawk HPS with braided brake lines.

Yeah, I don't plan on going crazy on that straight away until I know my brakes can handle it. y'all think inserting a oil pan baffle is critical or just highly recommended?

Sorry for highjacking your thread FASTFATBOY. Nice laps, I'm hoping I can duplicate some of those lines.
No prob, it's a discussion forum...lets discuss it/

What size and tire will you be on?

Leave the HPS on the rear, put a Raybestos ST43 or ST47 on the front.

Turns 3 and 4 are very hard to learn at NOLA, your instructor will get you plumbed up on those.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Launching!

I also recommend brake cooking ducts. Even if the hose is just blowing on the caliper/rotor...makes a huge difference.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
No prob, it's a discussion forum...lets discuss it/

What size and tire will you be on?

Leave the HPS on the rear, put a Raybestos ST43 or ST47 on the front.

Turns 3 and 4 are very hard to learn at NOLA, your instructor will get you plumbed up on those.
I'll be running 315/30/18 Rivals or my old 315/35/17 kumho XS to make me slow it down and if my camber is wrong I don't ruin my nice set of tires.

I've got ATE DOT 4 fluid with a Boiling point of 265. Planned on swapping my fronts to more aggressive. Raybestos seems to be one of the higher recommended pads. Once again, I'm pretty excited about it.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:25 AM
TECH Veteran

I'll be running 315/30/18 Rivals or my old 315/35/17 kumho XS to make me slow it down and if my camber is wrong I don't ruin my nice set of tires.

I've got ATE DOT 4 fluid with a Boiling point of 265. Planned on swapping my fronts to more aggressive. Raybestos seems to be one of the higher recommended pads. Once again, I'm pretty excited about it.
Nola is pretty easy on tires.

How much camber are you running? My F body liked -1.3 on a street type tire.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

running negative 1.5 right now.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:33 PM
TECH Veteran

running negative 1.5 right now.
Should be fine then.

This is me in my old Z28, the line will be close to what you will run.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Get those HPS out of there. You'll make it 5 laps if you are lucky before they are trash. You need some proper track pads like Hawk DTC, carbotech XP, etc. Don't forget to flush some high temp fluid through the system.

The pan baffle is a great piece. If you have the time to install one, I would recommend it. It's cheap insurance. If not, run a quart over full and check it after every session. I repeat - make it a habit to check after every session. LS motors pool oil in the cylinder heads and suck it through the pcv. Your oil level will drop after a session. Make sure it stays over filled all day.
Improved racing baffle ordered. I have to agree with the cheap insurance part. I've got too much in my motor to ruin it over such a small price in comparison.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

With that baffle, run the oil at the factory level. I did it with no issues, even on slicks.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

who has the best price on brake pads. Race quality is pricy. lol
Old 03-09-2016, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Porterfield
Old 03-09-2016, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Im a Carbotech girl myself.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice video. I'm not going to lie, I'm nervous about getting on a road course with my 95 camaro. Old bushings yadda yadda.

After going 130 down the front straight, how do you know how much to slow down? Do you glance at the speedometer knowing the car will only handle that turn at say 80mph? Or is it all feel?
Old 05-12-2016, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Yes, much more fun.

The only thing I miss about the Camaro is the guys scratching their heads about how fast it was.

You can't make a Camaro do what this car does and them both be in streetable trim. I learned this lesson at a PCA event in the advanced group I was getting passed pushing the car pretty hard, I had the realization the car had it's limits.

The Z06's limits are WAY above the Camaro even is stock form. The cars I KNEW I would have to let go by in the Camaro I can run with and pass now, as I get more comfortable in the car my speed will increase.

The Vette is more fun on the street also, chicks dig it, kids dig it....just fun to drive.
This single response is why I keep drooling over wanting a C5. But my pocket won't allow it. My camaro is more capable than I am a driver as it is now and a C5 would that much farther out. A C5 would/could be the last car I buy since I won't be able to out-drive it.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
http://youtu.be/3yUCczesJXQ

Maybe the car would be quicker with a decent driver, but nothing impressive here.
It's not just the 4th gens, amazing what people will slap their name on. I'm not great, mediocre at best, but I guarantee I'd crush both these car/driver setups.

https://youtu.be/hYLcQsULsJg

Quick Reply: NOLA Motorsports Park 2/20/16 C5 Z06 *VIDEO*