Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

First time Road racing, is my car ready? 4th Gen F-Body.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First time Road racing, is my car ready? 4th Gen F-Body.

Hey all,

Well I am thinking about finally participating in a track even at NYST (New York Safety Track). It's being organized by a local car club, and I feel like I'm in the right position (or close enough) to finally do one. The car needs a few things installed before doing it, but I would like to hear everyone's opinion.

First off, my car is a 2002 Trans am WS6. For suspension, it has:

-UMI Chromoly panhard bar with roto-joints
-UMI Chromoly Rear lower control arms with roto-joints
-Sam Strano swaybars, with energy suspensin endlinks and mid-bushings.
-Sam Strano lowering springs
-Koni "Yellows" adjustable shocks/struts
-CTSV1 4-piston Brembo calipers, Hawk HPS Pads, 14" 5th Gen Camaro rotors, KORE3 front stainless steel brake lines, Motul RBF600 brake fluid.
-305/30/18 Toyo R888's in the rear, Michelin 275/40/17 summer tires up front (I know the car will have a pretty big tendency to understeer)

To be installed before trackday (If I decided to do it):
-Midwest chassis subframe connectors (already have)
-Jim's Corvette wheel bearing adapters(already have)
-Timken C5 wheel bearings (need to buy)
-Rear stainless steel brake lines (Already have)
-B&M power steering cooler with Redline fluid (need to buy)

The car seems to have the basics covered...except for some reason I completely forgot about engine oiling until today. I will most likely run a x-40 or x-50 weight oil, but what about oil starvation? The car has alot of traction in the rear with those R888's, and i can power out of turns crazy fast and it not break traction. I'm worried about starving the motor of oil and destroying it, I just cracked 60k miles on the car so that's the last thing I want to do.

Can i run an extra 1/2 to 1 quart in the pan to prevent this? or is that asking for more issues being overfilled and getting aerated by the crank?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 07-14-2017, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

I'll let others pipe in about oiling.

Other than that I'd say your car is more than ready if you as a driver are new to road course. Do you have AutoX or track experience?

Your main focus on your first track day will be to survive and learn something. The first something should be the racing line. Start out by focusing on the line. Once comfortable, you'll naturally get faster. Stay in your comfort zone. Don't get overconfident.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

For your first track day, you are more than ready. With the Redline fluid, a PS cooler isn't 100% needed, especially if you are new. I ran many track events in Texas heat without one. HPS pads aren't a great track pad, they don't like a lot of heat, but with CTSV brakes I'm sure you'll be fine, especially for your first time.

I don't think you'll have a big oiling issue your first time. You can do an Improved Racing baffle, but I ran lots of road course laps without one and didn't have any issues. Keep it 1 quart over full at all times, check it between every session. I wouldn't run a 50w oil, just a Redline 5w40 or 10w40, changed before and after the event. The 1 quart over full is the standard LS1 advice, and has worked great for lots of guys.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did my first track day (several years ago), I had aftermarket wheels and tires, 35mm front bar and cut stock springs with stock shocks...and that's it. Really all your car has to do is pass a basic safety inspection. I did my track days with NASA. Maybe your deal is pretty loose in regards to any safety inspection. Will there be instructors present? After a lap or two, your instructor may have an opinion that you belong nowhere near a race track, so all those parts don't matter. Funny story, I parked next to three other guys who I didn't know until that morning. We got paired up with our instructors and went out on track. By the third session, I was driving by one of the guys and I could've sworn I heard the instructor yelling at him. After we had come in and the instructors had left, I asked this guy about the yelling. He tells me "yeah, he keeps yelling at me and won't let me do anything". Flash forward a couple months, I'm back at the track with NASA again. First drivers meeting in the morning, I see the instructor standing there and they start pairing us up. The group is getting smaller and smaller, and I start thinking I'm going to get paired up with this guy. Sure as ****, they call my name and his name... now I'm nervous. I thought he was going to be yelling at me and won't let me pass people. Waiting for the first session to go out we are making small talk and I asked him if he remembered the guy in the such and such car..."oh yea, that guy didn't belong out on track, yada, yada. Oh crap. I took a deep breath and went out on track and you know what? We had a really good time. I got all torqued up over nothing. It just so happened that he had basically a camaro-mustang-challenge Firebird there and asked if I wanted a ride...I said hell yeah! I'll tell you what, that CMC car was an absolute blast to ride around in. Sorry for the long story. If there are instructors, listen and be safe.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You don't need to worry about aftermarket mods to run the track. Just having safe equipment in good shape is the most important thing. Also, don't make too many changes right before you go sine you have several mods waiting to go on, you need a good shake down after changes before hitting it hard. I would run the new front hubs on the street for a while before hitting the track too, they like to be heat cycled before heavy stress. The guys running the "race hubs" seem to be good out of the box but I don't like to take chances.

-New brake & clutch fluid
-1 qt overfill oil (and change if not recent)
-check all other fluids, wheel bearings
-tighten every single suspension/brake bolts, seat mounts

If you have time, the stainless brake lines will give better pedal, and if you are bleeding the fluid anyways, why not. Subframe connectors should be an easy job too. But again I wouldnt make too many changes too close to race day.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

The only thing I'd do is put the sub-frame connectors on ahead of time. Otherwise, you are ready.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Who runs these track day events? I've done many track days on a motorcycle. I would love to run my Camaro.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, oiling will be an issue. Adding extra oil might be helpful, but you'll still be at risk. If see the needle dipping in the corners, you need to stop and go home. Don't let you ego take over, or you'll be building a new engine.

The next step up would be baffles for the pan. That makes a huge improvement. I would highly recommend doing this before hitting the track. Still keep a close eye on the needle, and call it a day if it's dipping.

Ideally, install an oil accumulator, like an Accusump. That can really save your engine.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
Who runs these track day events? I've done many track days on a motorcycle. I would love to run my Camaro.
Search your area on motorsportreg.com
Old 07-24-2017, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/...a-september-14
Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you buy those Timken bearings take a look at this thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...y-opinion.html

I wouldn't put Timkens on my lawn mower - go with the SKF's they are more expensive but worth it.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes get the SKF X-tracker "race" version, if you already have the hub adapters. Hoosier PE sells them with ARP long studs.
Also, in my experience and some others i've read, stainless brake lines do not actually improve feel. They might last longer, but brake feel does not improve (unless your lines are actually already going bad).

Quick Reply: First time Road racing, is my car ready? 4th Gen F-Body.