Toe points. Hooks or straps or? - LS1TECH



Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Toe points. Hooks or straps or?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #1
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
Major Shart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Woodbridge, Va.
Posts: 281
Default Toe points. Hooks or straps or?

This is for my T/A which is a drag car. My new SS is for turning

My car being a nitrous car needs to be shut off right after a run so I can read the plugs, so I need to be towed back to the pits. Not to mention I would like a place to hook the winch up to to pull it into the trailer. I am having a hard time figuring out where to mount a hook or strap. That long Trans Am front with nothing behind it...


I thought road courses require a tow point? So what are you guys doing about that?

Last edited by Major Shart; 12-14-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Major Shart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #2
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
Major Shart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Woodbridge, Va.
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981TA View Post
I'm hoping this was a typo :-)
Hahah yes it was. I fixed it thanks for pointing it out.
Major Shart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:59 AM   #3
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (48)
 
ragtopz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Posts: 1,547
Default

I'm in the same boat....haven't done it yet, but just thinking about a long "eyelet" made out of some small rebar, welded to the center of the subframe (shouldn't be too heavy).
ragtopz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (7)
 
1981TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saint John, IN
Posts: 1,306
Default

I bolted an axle U-bolt to a small piece of aluminum L-channel (steel works too, I just had the scrap laying around) and found a good spot on the underside of the passenger side frame to connect it to. Your mileage may vary. The pic doesn't show it well, but the other leg of the L-channel is about 6" long.


1981TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:33 PM   #5
scj
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (83)
 
scj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,929
Default

As much plastic that's on the front of these cars I'd be pretty precise about where I put my tow point. You could probably make something that pulls straight out the front that's attached to the metal part on the front bumper support but I'd be more comfortable attaching it straight to the frame rail. You could also put something on the Kmember but it would be hard to access. Otherwise there's factory pull points for tow hooks right behind the factory jack point. The same points a flat bed wrecker would use.
scj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #6
TECH Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,402
Default

Look in the bottom of the frame where it bends upwards toward the engine. On the portion parallel to the ground (flat) my car had 2 oblong holes in it. There are also factory tie down tabs on the frame as well. Some simple 3/8" chain maybe 12ft long (or longer) and 2 hooks should work. 12ft chain would triangulate into two 6ft legs and have the "top" of the triangle be under the front of the nose to reach it. Then use that as an attachment point using some quick links

smitty2919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
Major Shart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Woodbridge, Va.
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtopz28 View Post
I'm in the same boat....haven't done it yet, but just thinking about a long "eyelet" made out of some small rebar, welded to the center of the subframe (shouldn't be too heavy).
I have been thinking about something so attach on the front of the frame rail and maybe come out of one of the fog light holes. I don't think it'll line up though, I hate to have to cut the bumper for one, just got it painted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981TA View Post
I bolted an axle U-bolt to a small piece of aluminum L-channel (steel works too, I just had the scrap laying around) and found a good spot on the underside of the passenger side frame to connect it to. Your mileage may vary. The pic doesn't show it well, but the other leg of the L-channel is about 6" long.

Ya I'll probably have to get creative. I doubt my fourth gen has nearly the steel yours does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scj View Post
As much plastic that's on the front of these cars I'd be pretty precise about where I put my tow point. You could probably make something that pulls straight out the front that's attached to the metal part on the front bumper support but I'd be more comfortable attaching it straight to the frame rail. You could also put something on the Kmember but it would be hard to access. Otherwise there's factory pull points for tow hooks right behind the factory jack point. The same points a flat bed wrecker would use.
I have used those holes to tie down before and they are a huge pain in the *** to get to while in the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919 View Post
Look in the bottom of the frame where it bends upwards toward the engine. On the portion parallel to the ground (flat) my car had 2 oblong holes in it. There are also factory tie down tabs on the frame as well. Some simple 3/8" chain maybe 12ft long (or longer) and 2 hooks should work. 12ft chain would triangulate into two 6ft legs and have the "top" of the triangle be under the front of the nose to reach it. Then use that as an attachment point using some quick links
What worries me most about that idea is that with the long front end (all plastic) and hooking up that far back under the car I'd tear something up.




I really can't believe there isn't a better option out there. I know I have seen these cars on the track before but I just can't really find details of what they are using for a recovery point.
Major Shart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #8
TECH Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,402
Default

That is a slight concern if you are pulling the car at an upward angle. You need to make the tow vehicle attachment point down low to keep that from happening, or a long rope to reduce the angle.

I use the method I mentioned to pull my car on a open car trailer. Works great
smitty2919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #9
scj
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (83)
 
scj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,929
Default

You could always make a beam that goes across the front frame rails out of some good thick wall tuning and have access to it through the grille openings. You'll not have a bumper support though.
scj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #10
TECH Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,402
Default

My setup:
Pull out the cable and lay out the V chain:


Pull the car up onto the wood ramps until I hit the metal ramps then tighten slack in winch. I made tabs to repurpose the rollers that came with the winch:




Planned out the mounting of the winch and length of V chain and wheel chalks so nothing bottomed out when pulled all the way up:


The holes I use are already in the frame of the car, now this may be difficult getting to them if you are in a sand pit on the side of a track or you need to be pulled from the back.
smitty2919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #11
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
Major Shart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Woodbridge, Va.
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919 View Post

The holes I use are already in the frame of the car, now this may be difficult getting to them if you are in a sand pit on the side of a track or you need to be pulled from the back.
Nice set up, seems like a lot of work though. I mean to get all of that set up, I know once you have it set up you are good to go but I just want a hook or strap to easily and quickly hook up to while at the track. Plus that wouldn't work for my use, towing to the pits. It would get the car in the trailer but before dealing with all of that I would just drive it in and do the Duke Boys out the window.
Major Shart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #12
TECH Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,402
Default

Thanks, naww not a lot of work. Much more stable loading a car with a winch than driving on, plus I can load the car by myself. It isn't as quick as a tow hook sticking up the front bumper as you mentioned.

You may need to start fabricating something.
smitty2919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #13
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
Major Shart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Woodbridge, Va.
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919 View Post
Thanks, naww not a lot of work. Much more stable loading a car with a winch than driving on, plus I can load the car by myself. It isn't as quick as a tow hook sticking up the front bumper as you mentioned.

You may need to start fabricating something.
Ya I'll need to do something.
Major Shart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #14
Staging Lane
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 65
Default

For road course duty if you break they flat tow you back to the pits. I have a strap bolted to to one of the passenger side strut tower bolts. Pop the hood hook up the tow strap drop the hood back down, or not, and head back to the pits. Mines a 94 Trans Am so that long nose is a real bitch.

Gforce tow strap
Jeff94TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #15
TECH Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,402
Default

^That's a good idea.
smitty2919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #16
TECH Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
FASTFATBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mobile Ala
Posts: 4,852
Default

My buddy and I took 1/2 eyelits like used to pick up electric motors and welded them to the K member in the front to hook tow/tie down straps to.

In the rear we did longer ones and used them in the lower control arm hole thats not used when you use LCA relocation brackets and crossed the straps.
FASTFATBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:33 AM   #17
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
Major Shart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Woodbridge, Va.
Posts: 281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff94TA View Post
For road course duty if you break they flat tow you back to the pits. I have a strap bolted to to one of the passenger side strut tower bolts. Pop the hood hook up the tow strap drop the hood back down, or not, and head back to the pits. Mines a 94 Trans Am so that long nose is a real bitch.

Gforce tow strap
I have been thinking of going under the hood for something. It maybe be the easiest answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY View Post
My buddy and I took 1/2 eyelits like used to pick up electric motors and welded them to the K member in the front to hook tow/tie down straps to.

In the rear we did longer ones and used them in the lower control arm hole thats not used when you use LCA relocation brackets and crossed the straps.
I have been thinking of doing something similar for tying down. For towing I would think the k member would be too far back under the car to use without tearing off the front bumper cover.
Major Shart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gas Tank Straps / Filler neck very low Genhero General Maintenance & Repairs 2 10-21-2016 02:49 PM
Towing point for my Camaro American-Muscle1989 Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 2 03-20-2013 10:37 AM
Trailering f-body, where do you attach your straps 25thhawk Drag Racing Tech 32 06-14-2012 09:56 AM
Need help please px33transam Suspension & Brakes 3 04-18-2012 02:55 PM
head ground straps sevanseriesta Appearance & Detailing 1 12-09-2007 08:34 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send