Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Anyone got a C-prepared 4th gen f-body?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone got a C-prepared 4th gen f-body?

I am curious for some pics of what a C-prepared 4th gen F-body looks like. How far removed from the street is the car? I have found pics of Fox-body Mustangs, 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen F-bodies but no 4th gen cars.

Thanks
Chris
Old 08-11-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I forgot - you asked to see pics (over on the other board).

Here are a few random pics of the interior, rear suspension, roof, and a few videos of my car. It's nothing fancy, but jsut some things I've shot for illustrative purposes over the years.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

I seriously doubt that would get through our (Joyzee) state inspection, 1QUIKBIRD!
Old 08-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I seriously doubt that would get through our (Joyzee) state inspection, 1QUIKBIRD!
Yeah I don't think so either. But imagine the look on their face when you pulled in! It'd be worth it just to screw with 'em.

Chris
Old 08-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
I forgot - you asked to see pics (over on the other board).

Here are a few random pics of the interior, rear suspension, roof, and a few videos of my car. It's nothing fancy, but jsut some things I've shot for illustrative purposes over the years.
Thanks for the pics. So just to pick your brain a bit, it appears as though you've got a factory driveline still (with upgrades of course), gutted interior, full cage and have pared down the wiring to the bare essentials? Still running the LS1 with factory PCM? Stock pedals?

Something like that is completely within my reach both from a $$$ standpoint and a skillset standpoint. Not saying it would be easy or that I'd be a contender, but its looks reasonable to do.

Did you set out to build this car to this level from day 1 or did it evolve up through the ranks, like FS to ESP to trackday car and CP is where you settled in?

Chris
Old 08-13-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice, coilovers and adjustable swaybar/endlinks. Do you mind letting on to where you got those?

That probably is a big help for dialing some of the unwanted power oversteer when exiting out of the corners eh?
Old 08-14-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure whose coil over kit is that but Ground control makes one (I have that) and Global West also makes one. BTW if you are interested on the Ground control PM me I'll send you the link to a place that has the best price on them.

The adjustable rear sway bar is the new Hellwig. You can find some info for the bar here.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bluebird is right on both counts (Ground Control and Hellwig). The swaybar is a prototype, though I believe they are now selling the product. it helps a great deal to adapt the car to different track conditions.

I had no idea that this car would end up like this. I bought it with the intent on competing in local autoxes in ESP. As it became a more dedicated ESP car, it became less streetable (loud exhaust, race seats, stiff suspension). Then we had hurricane Katrina. I lost my job and found a new one 50 miles away. This was NOT a good commuter car (fun, but not comfortable). So, I bought a little Saturn to commute in, and gutted the car.

To answer your questions:
- Factory driveline -> engine is intake, exhaust, bolt-ons; T2R diff w/ stock gears; stock tranny (just rebuilt 3rd and 4th gears as I had fried the synchros at the last race; I wouldn't come to the pits when it stopped shifting right and stayed out for another 15 minutes); stock clutch and flywheel
- Gutted, cage
- Wiring -> that's a bird's nest. I tried to take as much out as possible. Everything that goes past the passenger seat can be removed - it's speakers, rear hatch, and other junk. Everything on the driver's side must be retained - fuel pump, brake lights, etc. As for behind the dash, I started trying to remove junk one day. Had the car running to see if/when I cut a wrong wire. Also had the service manual out so I knew what I was cutting. After cutting 20ish wires, I shut the car off and got a drink. Came back, and the car wouldn't start. Took me 4 days to find the right wire and re-attach it. Now, all the stock wiring is just bundled up behind the dash. I refuse to mess with it.

It's certainly not hard to do. Most of what I've done is take stuff out of the car, develop the suspension, and drive the wheels off. The powertrain and brakes pretty much take care of themselves.

BTW, technically, I'm illegal for CP as the car sits now. I've got a wing and I'm too light. But, when I go to Tours or similar, I've got a lexan spoiler I made to replace the wing, and 200lbs of lead weights to bolt in. I just like messing with the car and letting other people figure out what class I belong in.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If I hadn't sold my Firebird at the beginning of this year, it would probably be very close to what yours is except with a bit more power. Unfortunately I had to let it go to get my finances in better shape. Good thing too because I've been unemployed for 3 month and would have probably lost the car had I kept it. So now the old car is enjoying frequent Auto-Xing in NY and track days at the Glenn. My current car is a midle-top of the road ESP prep car to limit my spending on it but I do race it in CP. Here is a link to info on the setup
Old 08-14-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

We were having a discussion elsewhere that a good ESP car can usually play with most CP cars. There's the weight difference, but other than that the two aren't that different.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

my dad and I run CP out here in California in American Auto-x.
Against Frank Stagnaro, Mike Maier, Guy Ankeny, Mike Dejesus... etc...

that's me.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:28 AM
12 Second Club

^^Mmm! ****!
Old 08-22-2008, 03:39 AM
12 Second Club

In Sweden we have a competition called CAMARO CUP. And here are somepics of those beautifull cars! They all have the same engine though ZZ4.
These are no streetcars by the way.

More pictures can be found here if you are interessted. http://www.camarocup.com/gallery/
Old 08-22-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes - we know about you and your damn Camaro Cup. And, we all hate you for having access to those beautiful splitters and not sharing with your brothers across the pond!!

hahaha - those must be a blast to watch in person!!
Old 08-22-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^lol
Old 08-23-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes - we know about you and your damn Camaro Cup. And, we all hate you for having access to those beautiful splitters and not sharing with your brothers across the pond!!

nice, but they need to lose those spoilers
Old 08-25-2008, 04:23 AM
12 Second Club

Haha! "beautiful" I dont know.. looks kind of dumb i think, but hopfully it works well!

Yes for sure!

BobDoLe: Yes for sure! They should use the "berger" one in stead.. I think that the one they use have no purpose at all!
Old 08-25-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm talking about something like this one. And, in my mind, "beautiful" = downforce.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Crazy Sweed
Haha! "beautiful" I dont know.. looks kind of dumb i think, but hopfully it works well!

Yes for sure!

BobDoLe: Yes for sure! They should use the "berger" one in stead.. I think that the one they use have no purpose at all!

Crazy;
Are they using Corsas, or are those actual Pirelli race compound slicks???
Old 08-26-2008, 02:04 AM
12 Second Club

00 Trans Ram: yes i under stod your pint of wiew but they look hideous in other ways. but still I might be able to buy a set and send over the pond if you are interessted.

Daily: Yes they are.

Quick Reply: Anyone got a C-prepared 4th gen f-body?