Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

The GTO is officially dead, and rumors of a new TA

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The GTO is officially dead, and rumors of a new TA

Well Guys I just got my new issue of High Performance Pontiac. and while I was rather unimpressed with the whole issue. The last page caught my attention.... Check it out.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

I really hope this happens!!! I love the retro look.......If GM does bring it back, I just hope the do it right
Old 04-29-2006, 06:05 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Just shows you that the internet is so much faster than publications. That article basically says what we've been talking about on here for months.

If they bring it back then that's great. If they don't, then oh well. As the buying public our only contribution to keeping a vehicle alive is to purchase them....and purchase lots of them. Apparently we didn't do our job since they got cancelled instead of redesigned or whatever other excuse we've heard for their demise.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:55 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTO = back in 2008-2009 on the same chassis as Camaro.
Firebird = "not going to happen"

Both per Bob Lutz.

I'd like to see a new Firebird as well, but let's at least get one pony car per company back in the mix first.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

cool i posted that article 2 weeks ago.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:46 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Just shows you that the internet is so much faster than publications. That article basically says what we've been talking about on here for months.

If they bring it back then that's great. If they don't, then oh well. As the buying public our only contribution to keeping a vehicle alive is to purchase them....and purchase lots of them. Apparently we didn't do our job since they got cancelled instead of redesigned or whatever other excuse we've heard for their demise.
^ This also shows the other side of the internet - ideas (myths and legends) that won't die.

The car was *not* canceled because of sales. The econo-box called camaro wouldn't be coming back if sales were the reason for cancellation.

The reason was corporate politics and legalities. GM simply did not want to sell the car anymore and wanted to get out of St. Therese, and it's contracts there. Every attempt was made to harm the sales in order to try to get away with claiming sales were the reason for killing it.

Now granted, if they were selling in Smokey and the Bandit numbers, it would have been much more difficult to get away with. But the point remains, "poor sales" were nothing more than an excuse - legal "CYA".
Old 04-29-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly I dont care what they call it, I just want a big V8 and Rear tires smoking and a red arrowhead on the nose.

If the next GTO looks like that concept drawing I wouldnt mind having one. or even if it looked like the Previous GTO concept that orange one, that looked pretty nice, I think now that GM designers have a clean slate and dont have to do a rush job and rebadge a car it will hopefully get the next GTO perfected.

But yea I would love to see a 2008 Smokey and the Bandit 30th Aniversary edition. that would be awesome, alright guys I am out East bound and down
Old 04-29-2006, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

I remember seeing that photo(drawing) a while back, I'd love to see a new bird roll off the line, but at the same time it makes the ones we have more rare every day that gm doesn't make another one. As long as I have a bird I'm happy, doesn't matter if it's new, old or in between.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:45 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by HPP
^ This also shows the other side of the internet - ideas (myths and legends) that won't die.

The car was *not* canceled because of sales. The econo-box called camaro wouldn't be coming back if sales were the reason for cancellation.

The reason was corporate politics and legalities. GM simply did not want to sell the car anymore and wanted to get out of St. Therese, and it's contracts there. Every attempt was made to harm the sales in order to try to get away with claiming sales were the reason for killing it.

Now granted, if they were selling in Smokey and the Bandit numbers, it would have been much more difficult to get away with. But the point remains, "poor sales" were nothing more than an excuse - legal "CYA".
Unless you have insider information, your take on this could be considered just myths and ideas that won't die. Car corporations don't typically build cars just for fun and image (there are a few exceptions). They build them to make money. If something isn't making money, then they stop producing it...i.e. SSR, Aztek, Astro/Safari vans, Camaro/Firebird, and countless others not worth mentioning.

I'll be honest with you, I'm really sick of these "Will the Firebird return?" threads. This makes at least the third one I've seen here in the Firebird forum. So far their track record for not getting locked hasn't been so good. This is a touchy subject with too many people (including me I guess).
Old 04-29-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry if its touchy I didnt mean to post a hot button topic I just wanted to share the photo, I didnt know how many had seen the picture of the Firebird version.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:45 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
Sorry if its touchy I didnt mean to post a hot button topic I just wanted to share the photo, I didnt know how many had seen the picture of the Firebird version.
It's not getting too ugly yet, so maybe this one will survive.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I love the Firebird...it wont be back....stop these threads....thank you
Old 04-29-2006, 08:30 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chaman
I love the Firebird...it wont be back....stop these threads....thank you
camaro guys don't have this attitude. Notice a difference? Hmmm......
Old 04-29-2006, 08:33 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Unless you have insider information, your take on this could be considered just myths and ideas that won't die. Car corporations don't typically build cars just for fun and image (there are a few exceptions). They build them to make money. If something isn't making money, then they stop producing it...i.e. SSR, Aztek, Astro/Safari vans, Camaro/Firebird, and countless others not worth mentioning.

I'll be honest with you, I'm really sick of these "Will the Firebird return?" threads. This makes at least the third one I've seen here in the Firebird forum. So far their track record for not getting locked hasn't been so good. This is a touchy subject with too many people (including me I guess).
Money is money, profit is profiit. A little or a lot, it's still profit.

You're absolutely right, cars are made to make money. Not always directly, but ultimately.

That alone detracts from the idea that it was sales that killed it. If sales are bad, people don't want it. If people don't want it, it doesn't come back in just a few years.

That's obviously not all there is to it, but honestly, it's enough, even if it were.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

What I notice is how stubborn some people here when the FACT is the damn car is dead.....live with it! It will be back someday but as of right now IS NOT.....stop the idiotic whining...
Old 04-29-2006, 09:39 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chaman
What I notice is how stubborn some people here when the FACT is the damn car is dead.....live with it! It will be back someday but as of right now IS NOT.....stop the idiotic whining...
The "fact" here is that too many people are like you, and THAT is what is holding the car back. You realize the "dead" thing applied to both at one point, right?
Old 04-29-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by HPP
The "fact" here is that too many people are like you, and THAT is what is holding the car back. You realize the "dead" thing applied to both at one point, right?
You realize you are starting to sound obsessed and looking like an idiot, right?? We are not holding it back stupid...GM is!!!!!!!

Jesus...dude get help....there is a life after the Firebird, ok?? The world did not ended, now take your pill and be a good boy....some people....
Old 04-29-2006, 10:23 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Some people indeed.

What I realize is that you can't exercise the self control to not click on a thread that contains something you don't like.

What else is evident is that you don't have a real firm grasp on logic.

Like a religious zealot, you think we should all be protected from something you don't like. As such, you aren't content to avoid it and keep to yourself. Instead, you are getting beligerant, and trying to make the thread turn nasty in an effort to get it locked.

Now, if by some odd and unlikely chance, that's *not* true, then the solution is real simple. Don't click on the thread. And everyone wins. M'kay?
Old 04-30-2006, 12:22 AM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by HPP
camaro guys don't have this attitude. Notice a difference? Hmmm......
I think what chaman is trying to say is we've all heard or read Bob Lutz's comment that the Firebird isn't coming back, and that we're just spinning our wheels so to speak by continuing to hash over a dead topic. Lutz never said the Camaro was dead, and obviously it's not.

I hate to single out the Camaro guys from the Firebird guys. Some of us here (including me) are both Camaro & Firebird guys.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Veteran

^Exactly

Originally Posted by HPP
Some people indeed.

What I realize is that you can't exercise the self control to not click on a thread that contains something you don't like.

What else is evident is that you don't have a real firm grasp on logic.

Like a religious zealot, you think we should all be protected from something you don't like. As such, you aren't content to avoid it and keep to yourself. Instead, you are getting beligerant, and trying to make the thread turn nasty in an effort to get it locked.

Now, if by some odd and unlikely chance, that's *not* true, then the solution is real simple. Don't click on the thread. And everyone wins. M'kay?

Self control??? LOL! Dude, in every thread pertaining this matter YOU are the only one who keeps getting back with your pretty arguments. LOGIC?? Reality little friend, wich seems to clash with your very narrow point of views....wanna dream? M'KAY!!!! The rest of us will be following what the automobile media has to say and enjoying what the auto world has to offer...keep seeing those Knight Rider reruns and watching Smokey and The Bandit every night....

I wont click in your??! thread??! sweetheart....M'KAY

Last post here, no matter what HPP (BTW isnt a bit pathetic naming you after a Pontiac mag?? well..) says next...do not lock this....I repeat...do not lock this....

Thank you and good night!!

Quick Reply: The GTO is officially dead, and rumors of a new TA