Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

eibach pro-kit....now what shocks?? bilsteins HD, bilsteins SLP, konis.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default eibach pro-kit....now what shocks?? bilsteins HD, bilsteins SLP, konis.....

i have a set of eibach pro-kit springs...now ive been debating on which shocks to go with....i did search, but i keep getting timedout...

i have heard of the bilsteins, now i see that there are 2 types HD and SLP. And from what i was told the SLP version are revalved and the HD aren't.

but than i found out about strano, and he has the HD revalved, but are $200 more or so than either (regular)HD and SLP versions..

and i also saw the konis, which i believe most ppl on here like the best. thats just an incredible amount of $$ for shocks tho.....

so what im asking is what shock would be best for my application??? all my mods are on my sig. I drive it about 4-5 days a wk....no track (as of yet), and rarely get in to a street race. cash is a bit low .......

thanks ahead of time...
Old 02-27-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got SLP Bilstiens w/ my prokit. Love em... Could be a little tighter, but for a DD, just right.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

First, don't lump what I do with Revalves in with the SLP shocks..... SLP's are production parts with just one valving, intended for SLP springs, and the rear shocks are the very same HD's one used to get with any set of 4th gen shocks. The SLP's have some more rebound, which is good, but also less compression damping, which isn't good since that controlls unsprung weight and NOBODY has less of that (bigger wheels, tires, brakes, etc).

I Revalve shocks on a case by case basis both for the springs being used, and also considering what the person is doing with the car. SLP shocks are SLP Bilstein's, and not really revalved. HD's are for stock springs, and aren't too bad but not great for lowering springs because that's not what they were built to do.

There you have a glimpse of why my Revalves cost more than the others, because they really are REVALVED.

Might I also add, that in this thread Bayer says how great the shocks are, but in a thread he posted, he's also complaining of balance issues. Shocks aren't responsible for balance, but do effect things, and too little compression damping can cause a flopping effect and a loss of traction, which could make his push worse.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-12-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like ill be going with stranos revalved (bilsteins) shocks... is there anything else that would be considered a "requirement" as far as lowering my car???
Old 03-12-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say an adjustable pnahard bar and an alignment are "required". The rearend will be off-center when you lower.

-Mike

Quick Reply: eibach pro-kit....now what shocks?? bilsteins HD, bilsteins SLP, konis.....