Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

I was lied to about a short block I purchased from chetmo. Input appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was lied to about a short block I purchased from chetmo. Input appreciated!

I purchased a shortblock from chetmo on here through his for sale post located here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...683&highlight=

First problem:
It was stated in the for sale post that the engine would come with an oil pan. It did not. I asked Chet about the oil pan and he has seemed to avoid the question.

Second Problem (The real reason for my post):
After I receive the engine I get a PM from Chet. Here is what is says:
hey i just thought anout something, make sure to torque the rod bolts to spec as we didnt have a working torque wrench when we took the brand new katechs out.

How convenient that he decides to tell me this after the engine is delivered. You would think this is something that he would remember as he just tried to sell the engine with the rod bolts installed not even a month earlier:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...365&highlight=

I really wish I would have searched his post history BEFORE sending him the money.

Now in the sale post it is stated that the engine is stock and nothing was never changed. Here is the exact quote from his post:
here are some updated pics, these where taken with the oil pan removed to show pics of crank and internals, oil pan will come with motor, so will front cover, cam, all accessories involved in cam, all stock, never been changed,
Now when you install a Katech rod bolt you cannot reinstall the stock bolts. I already contacted Jason Harding from Katech about this. Not to mention I work for Weber Racing Equipment. I know what an aftermarket bolt can do to a rod.

I asked Chet to send me the Katech rod bolts, but it seems he sold them. I than offered for him to get a set of the rod bolts and send them to me. He declined and said it was not worth it for him.

Now I am to the point where I am not going to believe anything this guy tells me and end up having to pull the motor apart and inspect everything. This is something I was trying to avoid. This is an engine for my little brother and he cant afford a rebuild on a motor. That is why I purchased what I though was a complete unmolested stock engine so I can get him back on the road.

I have already talked to paypal and they reccomend that I file a dispute to get my money back. Now I dont want to do that because the rod bolts do not cost $500 that I paid for the engine (Not to mention the frieght that I paid).

All that I want is for Chet to supply a NEW set of Katech rod bolts. Also to send me the oil pan that I was supposed to receive with my engine. If he can at least do this I will have a little more faith that he is an honest guy and not screwing me around. Though so far he does not want to do anything to make this right.

Do I seem out of line in my request? Any input on how I should continue to approach this (from moderators and members) would be appreciated.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow... i dont blame you a bit & understand. what you thought you were getting,,,,,,well you didnt.
this says it all.
here are some updated pics, these where taken with the oil pan removed to show pics of crank and internals, oil pan will come with motor, so will front cover, cam, all accessories involved in cam, all stock, never been changed,
Old 08-11-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

for one, i had about 20 shipping quotes evolving around this motor, most ppl did not want the oil pan, i told him i would take care of that. #2) katech rod bolts were put in and not even torqued to final spec, there is a process to torque the rod bolts down, that WAS NOT completed. Leo DEMANDED in a very rude manner that i must send him the 220 katech rod bolts IMMEDIATELY and i should give him a tracking number asap, of which that was not going to be possible, as the rod bolts are unavailable. HE then sent me a message TODAY, DEMANDING a tracking number by wednesday or he was filing a claim on paypal. I have been trying to deal with the customer, but will soon give up, as i am tired of being treated like **** via PM, time and time again.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,135 Likes on 739 Posts

Looks like the seller's story changes a bit, why not just figure stuff out with Leo he was just looking to fix his brother's car not chase around parts.

ADMIN
Old 08-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chetmo
for one, i had about 20 shipping quotes evolving around this motor, most ppl did not want the oil pan, i told him i would take care of that. #2) katech rod bolts were put in and not even torqued to final spec, there is a process to torque the rod bolts down, that WAS NOT completed. Leo DEMANDED in a very rude manner that i must send him the 220 katech rod bolts IMMEDIATELY and i should give him a tracking number asap, of which that was not going to be possible, as the rod bolts are unavailable. HE then sent me a message TODAY, DEMANDING a tracking number by wednesday or he was filing a claim on paypal. I have been trying to deal with the customer, but will soon give up, as i am tired of being treated like **** via PM, time and time again.
The only reason I PMed you the way I did because you made 0 effort to get ahold of me and it was nearly a week since I heard from you last.

You said in your reply PM that you were going to send me a freight quote to pay for the oil pan to be shipped..... so again you are lying and not telling the whole truth here.

Only after you refused to help me and accussed me of trying to get over on you did I DEMAND that the parts were sent. As I seen at that point you were not willing to be cooperative and accept that fact that you lied about the motor in your original sale post.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Banned

Chet has not sent me an update to what he plans to do yet.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

I have been trying to deal with the customer, but will soon give up, as i am tired of being treated like **** via PM, time and time again.
Maybe you should have made good on the deal. If you advertise that the oil pan comes with the motor, send it. Who cares what other "potential" buyers wanted? This guy obviously wants the oil pan.... send it to him.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:24 AM
TECH Resident

Default it's sad .

he's just another used car salesman, promise everything and produce nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 06:29 AM
Banned

I filed a dispute with paypal for $350 today. This is the price of the rod bolts and a used oil pan that I do not have.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you get your money.........
Old 08-13-2008, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

good luck. hope this gets resolved quick for you.
if you paid with a cc, i would dispute thru them. paypal wont do much, well, offer too much protection if u didnt buy it thru ebay..
Old 08-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Banned

He offered to let me return the motor. I agreed that if he covers half of the freight that I paid to get it here and arranges shipping or pays freight collect. I paid $180 for freight so I asked him to pay me the $500 + $90 to cover half of the freight that I paid. Well see what he does.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

^thats reasonable, i would ask for full refund...
Old 08-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Banned

Now he is saying he wont give me anything. What a piece of **** this guy is.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

look dude, you never let anything go through with the oilpan, and you jumped into a paypal dispute. That didnt work, at this point I could walk away from this whole situation, but you wanted me to pay you 770 back after shipping. Wasnt going to happen, and you ran to dispute this and get 350 dollars back through paypal for Katech bolts, when that motor DOES NOT have to have katech bolts in it. You first stated you would have to tear the motor down b/c i threw a rod out of round, now you are saying oh the 220 katech bolts will work just find, send me a tracking number in 1.5 days. Give me your address and i will still send the oil pan for you, as i repeated that was a mistake on my end.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Banned

look dude, you never let anything go through with the oilpan, and you jumped into a paypal dispute. That didnt work, at this point I could walk away from this whole situation, but you wanted me to pay you 770 back after shipping. Wasnt going to happen, and you ran to dispute this and get 350 dollars back through paypal for Katech bolts, when that motor DOES NOT have to have katech bolts in it. You first stated you would have to tear the motor down b/c i threw a rod out of round, now you are saying oh the 220 katech bolts will work just find, send me a tracking number in 1.5 days. Give me your address and i will still send the oil pan for you, as i repeated that was a mistake on my end.
You are an idiot. I said that you cannot take out a Katech bolt and out a stock one back in. When you put an after market bolt in, it changes the form of the threads in the rod. Therefore the factory bolt cannot be reused. Not to mention the factory bolt is probably stretched and could not be reused anyway.

I went into a paypal dispute after you did not have a tracking number 2 days after I requested, also because when I told you I would dispute it you said I was getting nothing.

Also if you could learn to add I said to send back $590. $500 for the price of the block, and $90 to cover HALF of the freight that it cost me to get the motor here. Not to mention the downtime I am losing because you lied in your sale post.

The bottom line is you lied. You lied in your post when you said the motor was stock i never modified. You lied when I asked you via PM if there was ever anything done to the motor. Here is the PM I sent where you lied:

Originally Posted by Wonderbread
If you can do $500 and Ill take care of the shipping, you have a deal. All I will need you to do is put it on a pallett and get it to a fed ex terminal.
Also why did you take this motor out? Was there anything ever done to it? Heads? Cam? Nitrous? Blower? Anything like that?

Thanks,
Leo

motor was pulled from a partout, I was going to put it in my other firebird, but decided to try the nitrous route so I bought a forged longblock ready to go. This motor is in excellent shape though, and it is pallatized on the pallet my other motor came in. No the car had an intake and headers no boost/n20 seen the motor. Fed ex freight terminal wouldn't be a problem either, and 500 is the lowest I can do. So yes I can accept the offer. Lmk thanks chet m
Ill send a PM with my address.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:18 PM
Banned

I tried to PM but your box is full. You can send the oil pan to:

Weber Racing Equipment
Attn: Leo
32325 Cook Road
North Ridgeville, Ohio 44039
Old 08-14-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

I lied about nothing everything is valid there. There was a bolt in that motor on the enone stand not I repeat not torques to final spec. There is no way I could hve stretched that rod. And that bolt doesn't change the threads that would be call crossthreading if it changed the threads. Which I don't think is the case. Once afaik I don't see how you must have new kateh bolts as my engine builder told me otherwise.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:21 AM
Banned

I lied about nothing everything is valid there. There was a bolt in that motor on the enone stand not I repeat not torques to final spec. There is no way I could hve stretched that rod. And that bolt doesn't change the threads that would be call crossthreading if it changed the threads. Which I don't think is the case. Once afaik I don't see how you must have new kateh bolts as my engine builder told me otherwise.
You lied and said the engine was never modified when I asked. That is a modification. The rod bolt actually does change the pitch of the threads, it does not cross thread it. Again you are forgetting who I work for. Bottom line is you lied and said the engine was not modified when it was. Now I have to tear this engine down and recondition the rods. Thanks for the great deal
Old 08-15-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Wow, how we all think we can trust fellow gearheads only to find the internet is the most anonymous way of getting burned.

Quick Reply: I was lied to about a short block I purchased from chetmo. Input appreciated!