Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Buying a used motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used motor

I am getting ready to do a LT1 transplant into a street rod. Are there any tips for buying a used motor? I was planning on buying an aftermarket harness so the wiring isn't an issue.

Typically checking the oil and checking the compression are the only thing you can do on carbureted motors...is this the same for the LT1?

What about tips for used transmissions...either a 700r4 or 4L60E?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah thats pretty much it make sure it turns over nice and free with the plugs out, and that all the holes on the motor were pluged or had something over them while it was sitting so that you know there is no dirt in the intake or motor, i would never run a 700-r4 unless its a stock engine, i had nothing but hell with them when i had my 3rd gen formula, i kept breaking parts all the time and this is a tranny that i had built for some heavy abuse, i would go with the 4l60-e and get a stand alone computer, im using a 4l85-e in my 55 chevy and im putting an ls1 in it i bought the stand alone computer from GM it was like alitle under a grand with the harness and computer and you can tune your shift points and all kinds of neat ****.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrrilla
I am getting ready to do a LT1 transplant into a street rod. Are there any tips for buying a used motor? I was planning on buying an aftermarket harness so the wiring isn't an issue.

Typically checking the oil and checking the compression are the only thing you can do on carbureted motors...is this the same for the LT1?

What about tips for used transmissions...either a 700r4 or 4L60E?
First don't buy one thats been washed your first goal should be avoiding buying a new opti. It is common for these engines to have had them replaced so theres always a chance you'll luck up.

Stay clear of the police engines as they are run constantly throughout the day with their AC and Heat running. 100k miles would probably be equivelent to 150-160 for anyone else.

Check inside the valve cover for sludge if it is gunky then the oil wasn't changed properly.

Get everything you possibly can MAF, Elbow,PCM and any sensors because your new harness won't have any.

Expect to replace the cam bearings if you go inside to do a cam swap.

93 is the only year with provisions on the Throttle body for a 700R4 also the TB is different from 94-97 ones because ity is speed density only.
Therefore if you are buying only the engine standalone harness get a 93 engine. If you are getting one that can run both get the 4l60e and any 94-up engine.

Quick Reply: Buying a used motor