Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

new 350 stumbling bad off idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new 350 stumbling bad off idle

hello all. I just recently replaced my worn out old 350 in my work truck with a brand new gm crate motor. Its the universal crate motor like 260hp or something like that, bone stock. I went ahead and bought a new carb and went with a holly street avenger 570. The timing is set at 8* right now. It was at 6* and i went up but didnt seem to cure the problem. I cant tell you the total timing bc i dont have a dial back timing light. I can tell you this though. Im running a regular hei with vaccum advance. From my old motor I had a lightweight spring and heavy spring on the advance. This is still in there and the advance canister is one full turn above where it is set for stock. (4 turns clockwise from the stop). To me, it acts like the pump shot is too big or the secondaries are opening when i stomp on it. I can hit it from a dead stop and it will dang near die. It wont backfire and if you stay in it will just keep bogging. It doesnt do too bad if you are running it down the road as long as it downshifts. If it doesnt downshift it will bog badly. It still has that hesitation though. I can feel the secondaries kick in though so it doesnt seem like they would be opening from the dead stop. My fuel pressure according to my guage is about 4.7 pounds. The motor has dieseled a few times when its good and hot whe i shut it off. Im thinking maybee i need to lower the float level, but i dont know. I was told these new street avengers were pretty much plug and play. I have an old 600 vac secondary i will throw on it if i cant figure out what the problem is. thanks for any help
Old 11-19-2007, 12:40 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Check your total timing. You prolly want 34* or so. Then check your acc. pump, see how it is spraying, and make sure you start tuning your idle mixture about 2.5 turns out.

Quick Reply: new 350 stumbling bad off idle