Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

bbc muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bbc muffler question

hey guys, im no newbie when it comes to old school muscle, im putting a big block in my dads car, no smog, headers, etc.
i had a 454 chevelle with 2 chamber flows with 3 inch tubing that sounded mean as hell.
but im curious if there is another nasty mean sounding muffler out there?
any sound clips are appreciated
Old 01-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Teching In

go with a one chamber flowmaster they are alot deeper and louder and sound really good if u have a big cam
Old 01-13-2008, 11:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mufflers dont make the engine sound good,engines make the muffler sound good,stay away from flowmasters-kill too much hp,put on a magnaflow of a dynomax ultraflow,more power with a better sound
Old 01-13-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from flowmaster aka chokemaster.

I have straigt open mufflers with 4 2.5 inch pipes going into thw two mufflers. People say my car sounds like an angry popcorn machine on steroids but its the engine that does that.

Good luck getting mufflers for these engines that are quiet and still flow great. My car is CRAZY loud, as in I am affraid to drive it and you hear it cruising down the road a few miles away. About to get some street mufflers for it but will not race on them.

STAY AWAY FROM CHAMBER MUFFLERS.

If it was not for the custom exhaust work I would go with the Magnaflow bullets for the street.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the magnaflow bullets on my 99 camaro, and are badass. wot they scream!!!!
ok so no chamber mufflers, i do want the car loud but i do not want it to sound like glass packs or cherry bombs. i hate that sound.

so i guess the recomendation here is bullet mufflers.