Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

No Gears..Help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Gears..Help please

ok so a couple days ago i felt like i was losing 3rd gear...then today i completely lost it and thought i might need to change the trans fluid...So then i go to work and im on my way home all of sudden i have no gears at all..I turn around to start driving in reverse and got pulled over and i just lost reverse then anyway and the cop was cool about it too..So what could be wrong...A couple of friends think the gears are stripped..it has 139,459 miles with stock trans...Do i just need a rebuild or could anything else just possibly be wrong..Trans fluid was a little dark and looked low when i checked it but would that take out all 4 gears and reverse too.? Help me please
Old 06-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Banned

EDIT: yes low fluid might cause that.

Well you have to start somewhere and this is good so far but no one can say it's "this is the problem" at this point.

Sounds like a total rebuild is needed to me, so if that were the case you'd need to drop the pan and drain it.

You might as well drop the pan and drain it now, also break open the filter and tear it open so you can unfold it.
Then reply back with a description of whats in there, better yet pics.

If it's 95% fluid it might be fixable with it in the car, but chances are there will be a ton of crap in it.

And the crap I speak of is clutch material and/or metal so just cleaning it out isn't the answer.

Just to keep your hopes up, my brother has been running a 700R4 for 260,000 miles with one fluid change and some boat towing, never one problem.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

thanks i appreciate it...well i will be changing the fluid on sunday because my friend is in michigan and he has a whole bunch he is actually on this site. and i am gonna change the oil the oil filter and i dunno i guess we'll see but when i do it i'll try and get pictures for you...thanks for the help
Old 06-20-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

instead of dumping 10 qts of atf and wasting that money if the trans is toast,
you should just add cheapo atf to make sure the fluid is in the ok range. If at that point you still have problems it can be a few things- a bad torque converter, fluid pump, or solenoids. The gears don't strip. It's the clutchpacks in the trans that can be shot and don't have any friction left. this is assuming it's an automatic (you didn't specify).
if the fluid is too low, then that will cause the problem you describe of losing all gears, and just because that happened doesn't mean the trans is now junk. If it was all of a sudden and you didn't beat on it then it's probably fine, and a new filter and fluid change will probably be the fix. with a high mileage trans if you can get the torque converter pumped out or flushed then that can help although many times the best fix is simply a new tq converter.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
instead of dumping 10 qts of atf and wasting that money if the trans is toast,
you should just add cheapo atf to make sure the fluid is in the ok range. If at that point you still have problems it can be a few things- a bad torque converter, fluid pump, or solenoids. The gears don't strip. It's the clutchpacks in the trans that can be shot and don't have any friction left. this is assuming it's an automatic (you didn't specify).
if the fluid is too low, then that will cause the problem you describe of losing all gears, and just because that happened doesn't mean the trans is now junk. If it was all of a sudden and you didn't beat on it then it's probably fine, and a new filter and fluid change will probably be the fix. with a high mileage trans if you can get the torque converter pumped out or flushed then that can help although many times the best fix is simply a new tq converter.
thanks for the info....well my friend has a whole bunch of it so we are gonna use that..it is an A4 and we are going to see if thats it. Also if it is just a torque converter what stall should i get i was thinking 3200...Even if its a whole rebuild thats what i was thinking..Any suggestions on that
Old 06-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Banned

Lets get back focused here, listen up.

a bad torque converter, fluid pump, or solenoids.
Wheres the junk from the TC failure go? Filter and pan.
The gears don't strip.
LOL! Look at the attached pic.
It's the clutchpacks in the trans that can be shot and don't have any friction left.
Where did all the friction material go? In the pan and filter. Thats why I say check the pan and filter first.

although many times the best fix is simply a new tq converter.
The best fix for who? Someone selling a converter? No the converter is not the problem.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 01-06-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if that pic is of your transmission, how can you do that and not know something is seriously wrong?
Old 06-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Banned

if that pic is of your transmission, how can you do that and not know something is seriously wrong?
No that pic is of a th400 that I rebuilt for a co-worker. He was driving a motorhome with his family, coming home. He said he knew something was wrong and ran it til it died. After all anything mechanical can be fixed.