Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Members in Charlotte, N.C. area, need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Members in Charlotte, N.C. area, need your help!

Hello everybody, just wanted to ask you guys some questions about the Charlotte area. My wife and I are sick of living in CT around all these rich ******. We have been researching different parts of the country and we think N.C. looks like the perfect place. So far Mooresville looks like it may be the area but anything around Charlotte is fair game.
So, are people friendly down there? What are some good neighborhoods/areas to check out when we visit? Any general info would be great or anything I should stay away from.
I like all types of racing (drag racing if I can get my junk finished), NASCAR, boating and jet ski's. Lake Norman seems cool but expensive. Can an auto mechanic and an administrative assistant make a living and own a home? We sure cant here! I own a 980sf condo and paid 250k for it, and that was a good deal! My wifes sister and husband just paid 379k for a 130 year old 1200sf house that needs major work. I cant stand it much longer....sorry for the long post, hope to see yall soon.
Dave
Old 01-05-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump for today.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lots of locals here carolinarides.com you should get plenty of response
Old 01-06-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

or triadfbody.com
Old 01-06-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 995 Posts

Sent you a PM. If you follow the link you can see a nice neighborhood that's probably right in your price range.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sending you a PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Wade and Matt for the links. They have been very useful in our searching. Are most of the houses down there built in communities? Doesnt look like parking my boat in the yard is going to fly
Old 01-08-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol well some communities will let ya park your boat in the driveway or you could just join the yacht club I'm a manager at and keep your boat there.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

I was in your same position almost exactly 3 years ago. I grew up in the Chicago area. Cost of living up there is insane. We decided to move to CHARLOTTE, NC!!!! And we LOVE it!! We don't regret the decision for a second! Housing costs are so low here.

2 years ago we bought a decent size all brick ranch house, 1.7 acres, and garage space for at least 7 cars all for under $200K. Plenty of room to park boats and car trailers too We actually found our house in Harrisburg, NC, just northeast of Charlotte, and only 5 miles from Lowe's Motor Speedway and zMAX Dragway!!!!! I think it's a perfect location. Cabarrus County taxes are low. I work in Mooresville, which is about a 45 min. drive but I can take all country roads and it's not a bad drive at all. My wife works in South Charlotte, so our house is right in the middle. Within 10 miles of we have the tracks, Hendrick Motorsports, Roush, Ganassi, Wood Bros., Nascar Research & Development center, etc.

Our neighbor's house right across the street from us is for sale, and our next door neighbor's house is going to be up for sale soon I'll try to find a link to the info.
Good luck! Hope to see you here soon
Old 01-09-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sunset01SS
I was in your same position almost exactly 3 years ago. I grew up in the Chicago area. Cost of living up there is insane. We decided to move to CHARLOTTE, NC!!!! And we LOVE it!! We don't regret the decision for a second! Housing costs are so low here.

2 years ago we bought a decent size all brick ranch house, 1.7 acres, and garage space for at least 7 cars all for under $200K. Plenty of room to park boats and car trailers too We actually found our house in Harrisburg, NC, just northeast of Charlotte, and only 5 miles from Lowe's Motor Speedway and zMAX Dragway!!!!! I think it's a perfect location. Cabarrus County taxes are low. I work in Mooresville, which is about a 45 min. drive but I can take all country roads and it's not a bad drive at all. My wife works in South Charlotte, so our house is right in the middle. Within 10 miles of we have the tracks, Hendrick Motorsports, Roush, Ganassi, Wood Bros., Nascar Research & Development center, etc.

Our neighbor's house right across the street from us is for sale, and our next door neighbor's house is going to be up for sale soon I'll try to find a link to the info.
Good luck! Hope to see you here soon
See now thats what I'm talking about! I just want a simple home with a nice garage and some space for my toys. I'm totally into motorsports which is kind of why we chose to look in that area. So far everything seems as good as I hoped it would. I have not heard anyone say "Don't move down there because....". Seems like there are a lot of friendly people who share the same interests as I do. Sunset if you find that link I would appreciate it.
Drinks on me when I get down there!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

I live in Statesville, which is a little north of Mooresville. I'm also originally from CT. Moved down here to get away from the shitty weather and the rich ********. Been here since 2002 with no plans of heading back North. I go up to visit on occasion that's about it. You won't regret moving to this area of NC, best thing I did.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZMonte85
I live in Statesville, which is a little north of Mooresville. I'm also originally from CT. Moved down here to get away from the shitty weather and the rich ********. Been here since 2002 with no plans of heading back North. I go up to visit on occasion that's about it. You won't regret moving to this area of NC, best thing I did.
Dealing with the "rich ********" is getting old real quick. Its the worst its ever been around here, especially because most of them have lost boat loads of money. One ******* customer was crying because he had to "down grade" from his BMW to a new Infiniti. His wife could only get a new 5 series wagon this year. Poor rich guy
Anyway, we are scheduling vacation time to check out the area. I just need to try and sell my condo first. As soon as I can sell it for at least what I paid, I'm gone!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

That's funny because I'm a BMW tech and we've had a lot of people having to downgrade from their 5 series to 3 series. Funny thing is though a lot of people have been happier with their new 3 series. Let me know if I you need any info on the area, would be glad to help.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZMonte85
That's funny because I'm a BMW tech and we've had a lot of people having to downgrade from their 5 series to 3 series. Funny thing is though a lot of people have been happier with their new 3 series. Let me know if I you need any info on the area, would be glad to help.
I was a BMW tech for 4 years. I left about a year ago after we got bought out by a large auto group. Thats when all the money started to disappear. What dealership do you work for? I found one in charlotte (hendriks?) Is it difficult to get paid working on BMW's out there? We used to sell a huge amount of E65's. Dealing with those cars and owners used to be a real PITA. Do you know any good real estate websites I can check?
Thanks for the help guys
Dave
Old 01-11-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

The one of the largest real estate companies around here is www.allentate.com. I sent you a PM with a link.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Banned

just find u a nice house in the country in the outskirts of mooresville then u can park what ever where ever and it would be cheaper
Old 01-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dave88z
I was a BMW tech for 4 years. I left about a year ago after we got bought out by a large auto group. Thats when all the money started to disappear. What dealership do you work for? I found one in charlotte (hendriks?) Is it difficult to get paid working on BMW's out there? We used to sell a huge amount of E65's. Dealing with those cars and owners used to be a real PITA. Do you know any good real estate websites I can check?
Thanks for the help guys
Dave
I work at Hendrick Motors in Hickory. Hendrick BMW in Charlotte is another of our dealers. They are building a new dealership in Lake Norman which has been put on hold due to the current economy status and who knows what else. Our shop is actually one of the only shop in the area that still has work at this time. New car sales as slowed, but we seem to have picked up quite a bit of used car sales. BMW CPO is pushing some decent finance rates right now.

Allen Tate is a pretty well known realtor. Coldwell Banker has quite a few realtors down here as well. I actually didn't use a realtor since I built my house new.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MadMike96
just find u a nice house in the country in the outskirts of mooresville then u can park what ever where ever and it would be cheaper
Very True. I built a house In China Grove about 17 mins out side of Mooresville off HWY 150. It is at the bottom of the coldesac, 3 acreas no HOA. Play paintball every weekend with neighbors in my woods. You just have to be outside of the Mooresville zip to find something not on top of another.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BURN'EM
Very True. I built a house In China Grove about 17 mins out side of Mooresville off HWY 150. It is at the bottom of the coldesac, 3 acreas no HOA. Play paintball every weekend with neighbors in my woods. You just have to be outside of the Mooresville zip to find something not on top of another.
That sounds like a good time. I play a little paintball myself. How long does it take you to get to charlotte? We are coming down to visit april 4th-11th so I am going to look at as many places as possible. Its sort of a vacation, but we have a lot of work to do. Thanks for all the help and advice guys.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be at the down town area near the stadium, about twenty five minutes. I can be at the Speedway in concord in 15. China Grove,and Landis are small towns right off I-85.

Quick Reply: Members in Charlotte, N.C. area, need your help!