Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Camaro ss questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Camaro ss questions

ok so i bought a 1996 ss camaro the other day and i have a few quick questions regarding the authenticity of my car...... the car i bought came with the original window sticker, slp option sheet, and ss owners manual which makes me think it is an SS. It also has the slp codes on the drivers side door and has the plate on the center console #390....but the reason i am debating otherwise is it has the ss tag on the rear panel but not the bowtie and second the color scheme it has the 95 color scheme where the car is one color( mine is red ) but the mirrors an roof is black. in 96 they change to it all being one color but was the style my car has still available with the two colors..... also in 96 what was beside the ss in the rear panel was it a bowtie or a z28 cuz i have seen pictures with both..........Finally could anyone please tell me how u would no FOR SURE that it is an SS car
Old 07-12-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact Dave Hamburger on this section he will let u know.Its @ the top of the page.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for what i have learned Camaro color schemes were all over the place as far as the SS, i know there is a special code in the VIN# that gives you the SS, as far as SLP there should be a stiicker in the passenger side door that shows the SLP option...this is what i have learn, someone smarter chime in...lets see pics, i am partial to RED, as a matter of fact i almost traded mine for a red 96 SS 6M t-top car...
Old 07-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
ok so i bought a 1996 ss camaro the other day and i have a few quick questions regarding the authenticity of my car...... the car i bought came with the original window sticker, slp option sheet, and ss owners manual which makes me think it is an SS. It also has the slp codes on the drivers side door and has the plate on the center console #390....but the reason i am debating otherwise is it has the ss tag on the rear panel but not the bowtie and second the color scheme it has the 95 color scheme where the car is one color( mine is red ) but the mirrors an roof is black. in 96 they change to it all being one color but was the style my car has still available with the two colors..... also in 96 what was beside the ss in the rear panel was it a bowtie or a z28 cuz i have seen pictures with both..........Finally could anyone please tell me how u would no FOR SURE that it is an SS car
i thought they started painting the mirrors in 99 or 00,and i thought all ss had a black roof except for 02 ,anniversary editions
Old 07-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

In 96 you could get the roof and mirrors black or option to get it body color from what I understand. According to the registry, your car is valid as a true SS Camaro.
http://www.camarossregistry.com/car/5595.html
Old 07-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder
In 96 you could get the roof and mirrors black or option to get it body color from what I understand. According to the registry, your car is valid as a true SS Camaro.
http://www.camarossregistry.com/car/5595.html
http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...istory-4.shtml

2000 was the first year for painted mirrors
Old 07-12-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Davo346
http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...istory-4.shtml

2000 was the first year for painted mirrors
For Ls1 Cars. For '97 and '96 it shows the SS's with body colored mirrors..
Old 07-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, were talking LT1 cars.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by oChristiano
For Ls1 Cars. For '97 and '96 it shows the SS's with body colored mirrors..
yeah and it also shows a 1994 with a ss hood and 17inch 5 spokes,so what are you saying they are just pictures did you happen to read any of them things called words.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it has RPO code R7T... it's an SS.

RPO code D82 (monochromatic paint) was only recommended on the ordering guide for '96 and '97. If you wanted to stick with the standard black Z28 roof and mirrors, then you could.

It shouldn't have Z28 badges on it at all. Only the '96 Z28 SS prototype(s) had those.

It should have the bowtie on the back to the left of the SS emblem.

What color is your car?

Not that I have anything on my site about SSes yet... but you guys need to stop believing everything you read on the internet. Camarosource.ca and my site are just about the only accurate ones. That musclecarclub website is a disaster as far as those pics go and I'm not even going to read it lol.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Brangeta

RPO code D82 (monochromatic paint) was only recommended on the ordering guide for '96 and '97. If you wanted to stick with the standard black Z28 roof and mirrors, then you could.

It shouldn't have Z28 badges on it at all. Only the '96 Z28 SS prototype(s) had those.

It should have the bowtie on the back to the left of the SS emblem.

What color is your car?

Not that I have anything on my site about SSes yet... but you guys need to stop believing everything you read on the internet. Camarosource.ca and my site are just about the only accurate ones. That musclecarclub website is a disaster as far as those pics go and I'm not even going to read it lol.
Interior and exterior appearance for 2000 was carried over from 1999, though outside rearview mirrors were body-color for Z28 models.this is straight from camarosource.ca
Old 07-13-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

SS RPO is WU8:

Option Code First Year Last Year Description
WU8 1998 2002 SALES PACKAGE CAMARO SS APPEARANCE AND PERFORMANCE CAMARO SS APPEARANCE & PERFORMANCE PKG(WU8)
WU8 1996 1997 SALES PACKAGE Z/28 SS UPFITTER Z/28 SS UPFITTER(WU8)

Not sure what R7T is:

R7T Unk. Unk. Unk.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by biggriff
i know there is a special code in the VIN# that gives you the SS,
The VIN will not directly indicate an SS, only whether its got a V6 or V8.

You CAN give SLP your VIN and they'll look it up to confirm it's a legit SS car. OR you can punch it in here and look for the WU8 RPO code.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
SS RPO is WU8:

WU8 1998 2002 SALES PACKAGE CAMARO SS APPEARANCE AND PERFORMANCE CAMARO SS APPEARANCE & PERFORMANCE PKG(WU8)

Not sure what R7T is:

R7T Unk. Unk. Unk.
R7T SS Package 305hp (non-Chevy Mod. by SLP Engineering)

$3,999.00 do a little research dude,they started the wu8 rpo code in 98,and d82 just refers to the roof not mirrors

Last edited by Davo346; 07-13-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

SS RPO is WU8:

Not sure what R7T is:

R7T Unk. Unk. Unk.

No offense Johnny, but this is a great example of the horse crap I keep having to correct people on, and it's been coming up more and more since compnine won't acknowledge my emails when I tell them what "unknown" RPO codes mean on their site. R7T is the code SSes in '96-97. WU8 only applies to '98-'02!!!!!

This goes for everyone... not just specific to the people posting in this topic... and not just specific to this topic... if you don't know what the hell you're talking about, how about you say "I think..." instead of this matter-of-fact way of saying things when half the time you're wrong?

Specific to Johnny--I know you're into this stuff dude, but seriously, until you learn more, use the words "I think." Buy some old magazines off ebay. Trusting stuff written 10 or 15 years later, especially on the internet, is not realiable. I recommend buying a huge stack of Camaro Enthusiast magazines from the 90s off ebay.

Originally Posted by Davo346
R7T SS Package 305hp (non-Chevy Mod. by SLP Engineering)

$3,999.00 do a little research dude,they started the wu8 rpo code in 98,and d82 just refers to the roof not mirrors
More or less right... but the SS package was only 305hp with the TOTL exhaust. With the standard no-option Z28 exhaust, '96 SS was rated at 300hp.

Last edited by Brangeta; 07-13-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Launching!

haha so after all this debate im takin it the right code is the R7t code
Old 07-16-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

No offense Johnny, but this is a great example of the horse crap I keep having to correct people on, and it's been coming up more and more since compnine won't acknowledge my emails when I tell them what "unknown" RPO codes mean on their site. R7T is the code SSes in '96-97. WU8 only applies to '98-'02!!!!!

This goes for everyone... not just specific to the people posting in this topic... and not just specific to this topic... if you don't know what the hell you're talking about, how about you say "I think..." instead of this matter-of-fact way of saying things when half the time you're wrong?

Specific to Johnny--I know you're into this stuff dude, but seriously, until you learn more, use the words "I think." Buy some old magazines off ebay. Trusting stuff written 10 or 15 years later, especially on the internet, is not realiable. I recommend buying a huge stack of Camaro Enthusiast magazines from the 90s off ebay.
Fair critique. And you are right, I'm into this stuff, but I'll admit being a Firebird owner, I've spent more time researching Pontiacs than Chevys. And gee, I thought I WAS on a f-body enthusiast's site. I've been on here for many years, and LS1.com since '98, and this is the first I've ever heard that R7T was the RPO for '96-'97 SSs. And it's not just CompNine, several RPO "tables" that have been posted over the years don't even include R7T, but include WU8 as the RPO for SS without clearly stating its just '98+. In fact, when I was building the Camaro breakdown from CompNine's database, I was having trouble reconciling why it didn't appear to contain 30th anniversary (Z4C) SS cars (was searching for WU8+Z4C). I even posted a thread in the Camaro section here asking for help on this, NO ONE offered that I was using the wrong RPO for SS for that year and that the correct one was R7T.

I found another source that mentions the 100 LT4 30th SS cars. Were there any other LT4 cars that were NOT SS 30ths? Just curious why none of the 30th SS cars show up in CompNine's database. Did they NOT have both RPOs WU8 and Z4C?
So don't knock me for not trying.

I'll begin making corrections to my Camaro breakdowns. Thanks for bringing this RPO error to my attention.

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 07-16-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:54 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I even posted a thread in the Camaro section here asking for help on this, NO ONE offered that I was using the wrong RPO for SS for that year and that the correct one was R7T.
I don't think it's well known about the 96 & 97's and R7T. I think only the past couple years have things been nit-picked and broken down by some very persistent (cough*brangeta*cough) "historians"
Old 07-16-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry Johnny, I was in a bad mood when I wrote that.

There's plenty of inaccurate websites. There's a lot that make generalizations that don't pertain to certain years of cars. Another major one I've seen is a claim that the '96-'97 RS package had an RPO code. From what little research I've done into that, I haven't seen one. There's a few websites that claim there's an RPO code for it, but guess what? It only applies to the third gen RS Camaros.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry Johnny, I was in a bad mood when I wrote that.

There's plenty of inaccurate websites. There's a lot that make generalizations that don't pertain to certain years of cars. Another major one I've seen is a claim that the '96-'97 RS package had an RPO code. From what little research I've done into that, I haven't seen one. There's a few websites that claim there's an RPO code for it, but guess what? It only applies to the third gen RS Camaros.
No problem, just goes to show you no matter how much you know, its never everything.

So Y3F isn't the '96-'97 RS package? There's another correction I'll be making. Is Y3F still considered a "sport appearance" package for those years (and '98-'99)? How about Y3B in '00-'02? Its somewhat unfortunate for the V6 folks that RPOs that apply only to the V6 car's aren't scrutinized and researched as well as the more "popular" V8 RPOs. This seems to be a prime example of that.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Camaro ss questions