Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

question about GMMG cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about GMMG cars?

I was just wondering if GMMG used the Eibach 1.5 lowering springs that they sell today for 260 dollars or where they different and did they reuse the stock decarbon shocks from the factory. I was just wondering because if u look on the GMMG website it says in the cars descriptions "Eibach progress rate 1.5 lowering springs". Does anybody no the specifics . thx guys.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On most of the cars they reused what ever shocks your car came with . .

DeCarbons . .
SLP Bilstiens . . .
SLP Konis . . .

If I recall correctly only the ZL1 could be ordered with optional Penske shocks . .

My Berger SS came with the 1LE so it has the Koni adjustable shocks front and rear . .

As for "What" Eibach spring they used . . it varied from car to car . . .
Old 03-23-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
On most of the cars they reused what ever shocks your car came with . .

DeCarbons . .
SLP Bilstiens . . .
SLP Konis . . .

If I recall correctly only the ZL1 could be ordered with optional Penske shocks . .

My Berger SS came with the 1LE so it has the Koni adjustable shocks front and rear . .

As for "What" Eibach spring they used . . it varied from car to car . . .
Andy, I will have to debate you on this one. Matt used the same Eibach springs on each car that he modified. I bought several sets of these springs from him and installed them on cars here at my shop when I owned it.

It was a spring that Eibach built for him and carried it's own GMMG part number.

Also..................ALL the ZL-1's came with Penske shocks, either street, drag or auto-cross.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Those springs show up on eibachs website but the application say for 1993-1997 camaro /firebird. Are those the springs or did they use those springs as a starting point at eibach and them modified them for GMMG specs.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default question about GMMG cars?

Originally Posted by Snaggle
Those springs show up on eibachs website but the application say for 1993-1997 camaro /firebird. Are those the springs or did they use those springs as a starting point at eibach and them modified them for GMMG specs.
According to Matt Murphy and Mike Carnahan, these are the springs that they installed on ALL of the cars they built.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:25 AM
Teching In

Thanks a lot for all the good info and keep those GMMG cars alive. Hopefully one day i can actually own one.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 02_Phase2_ZL1
According to Matt Murphy and Mike Carnahan, these are the springs that they installed on ALL of the cars they built.
Thanks for posting that . . . I have a hard time believing it due to the fact you line up 10 say Berger SS's and they all have different ride heights . . and unfortunately mine is one of the "lucky" saggers, where the tires hit the rear wheel well . . oh well.

I had asked Matt personally at his shop a few years back and he was rather "evasive" . . . I swear I heard he said he used Eibach LT1 rear springs and LS1 front springs . . but my memory is not what is used to be . .

I have never crawled under to look up the actual part numbers on my car either.

Hope all is well J.D.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 AM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Early on Matt had planned to use remote reservoir Penske shocks. But that choice was actually overkill and very costly.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 02_Phase2_ZL1
Maybe they used the '93-'97 spec ones because the engine mods by GMMG made the engines weigh more than a regular LS1. The LT1 is heavier than the LS1, so the spring rate is higher for the '93-'97 front springs I believe. I'm sure the C5R 427s weighed much more than the LS1s.

Interesting info to say the least. I suppose that information will find its way onto my site one of these days when I have time to build more pages...

Quick Reply: question about GMMG cars?