Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Can you tell a real WS6 by VIN???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you tell a real WS6 by VIN???

I just bought a WS6 and had the VIN run by 3 pontiac dealerships - they all said it wasn't a WS6 after they ran the last 8 digits. I just read again on ls1tech.com that you can't tell by the VIN number. These dealerships looked at the build sheet and just didn't see 'ws6'. Is this perhaps the car could have been shipped to SLP after the VIN was posted on it? Am I missing something? Help greatly appreciated!
Old 07-30-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

SLP is only responsible for the LT1 WS6 cars, not the LS1 cars. ASC did them.
Find the "WS6" code in the RPO option sticker inside the drivers door jamb.

If 3 different dealers told you it wasn't, why didn't you believe them?
Highly unlikely that it was shipped to SLP for anything after the initial order.

We need more info, ..., especially the year, ...
Old 07-31-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is a 98, and I was wondering if perhaps the vin didn't just pull up the ws6, thus them not knowing exactly. I was kinda bummed. I got a nice deal on the Trans Am from someone on the board here, but just sucks knowing it isn't a real WS6. Also, there is no RPO sticker as it was all repainted.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

If they've ran the VIN to get the RPO codes and it doesn't show "WS6", then it isn't a WS6.

Just for clarification, there isn't a special character in the VIN that indicates WS6 (like the letter that indicates V8 or V6, etc) since WS6 was an option, not part of the basic build of the car (body / drivetrain). But the actual build sequence number in the VIN (last several digits) will cross-ref to Pontiac's database of which RPO options was installed on that particular vehicle (same database info that is used to print the RPO code decal for the door and the window decal).

Sounds like you were deceived, that sucks. I've been in several discussions about "cloning" WS6s (and other cars in general) and I always draw the line at putting badges on a car that didn't have them from the factory. People who do that are A) Posers, B) very likely screwing someone over down the line who may end up with their mis-badged car (yeah, "sure" you're never going to claim your mis-badged clone is a "real WS6" to ANYBODY........ but that doesn't prevent the guy you sell it to from doing it).
Old 08-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Teching In

The company that did the upgrade for the trans am is ASC incorperated. here is the email for the guy who handle verification. you will need the vin number and patience he will get back to you but its not a high priority. good luck and hope you find the info you need.
marty.straub@ascglobal.com

Quick Reply: Can you tell a real WS6 by VIN???