Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

WS7 and WS9

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 09:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WS7 and WS9

Wanted to find out the exact details on these special packages. I hear the WS7 is just the Firehawk, but with a "7" badge on it. Then I was told the WS9 was a dealer option that came from 2000-2002. But there wasnt anything too much more about it over the WS6. Anyways, if you guys know what the specs on these are over the WS6 or regular T/A, I wouldnt mind knowing!

Thanks
KC
Old 12-21-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=FBodyPerformer]Wanted to find out the exact details on these special packages. I hear the WS7 is just the Firehawk, but with a "7" badge on it. Then I was told the WS9 was a dealer option that came from 2000-2002. But there wasnt anything too much more about it over the WS6. Anyways, if you guys know what the specs on these are over the WS6 or regular T/A, I wouldnt mind knowing!

A WS7 I believe would be like me taking my plain 2002 transam and putting on a hood like yours and putting the badges on the back that say WS7.Some people could not find or afford a WS6 so out of respect for WS6 owners, they put the badges saying thats its not a true WS6.I almost did this until I found my Hawk.
As far as a WS9 YOU GOT ME ON THIS ONE.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

WS7 = WS6 Posers.

WS9 = a Hood.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by jinxedz
WS7 = WS6 Posers.

WS9 = a Hood.
....TRUE STORY!!
Old 12-21-2005, 11:41 PM
9 Second Club

WS9, if I remember correct it is a formula package, my car has both WS6 and WS9 on the door jamb, the WS9 on mine is the stereo option with the 12 disc in the trunk. WS7 is a fake WS6
Old 12-22-2005, 12:05 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chewy99ws6
WS9, if I remember correct it is a formula package, my car has both WS6 and WS9 on the door jamb, the WS9 on mine is the stereo option with the 12 disc in the trunk. WS7 is a fake WS6
My Trans Am has both WS6 and WS9 also, and my Formula has just WS9... it doesn't really mean anything other than someone naming a hood after that option code.

Neither of my cars have the 12-disc changer.. it has nothing to do with that.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

yes as stated ws7 is a fake ws6, ws9 is the rpo code designated when the car is given the v-8 engine, all formula's and trans ams should have this code. as stated, i beleve its called "Formula Conversion" or something to that effect.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

When I refer to WS9, im not talking about the code on the sticker on the driver side door. Im talking about there is actually a dealer out there that produced a "WS9" and there are emblems for it also that are just exactly like a WS6 badge, just with a 9. I have a true WS6 and have both WS6 and WS9 codes on my door, has nothing to do with it.

Thanks for clarifying the WS7 thing. Noone ever had a complete answer on that. But there supposidly is a WS9 some how from someone out there.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

let me clarify this, a ws9 is that code

and some people with aftermarket hoods refer to theri car as ws9, and have badges for the like, so they arent a poser trying to pretend they have a ws6

a ws9 is basically the same thing as a ws7, only they have the "proof" on the door sticker, where as ws7 is only on the badge
Old 12-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Launching!

WS7 and WS9 are badges (WS9 is also a RPO code) but both are also badges based on hoods (dubbed by the company that made the hood, nothing official). The WS9 is the outlaw hood (I think thats what its called) The WS7 is the raptor hood, I know this because I have the raptor hood on my 2002 Trans am. Just because it has a WS7 badge doesnt mean its not originally a WS6. My 2002 has the factory WS6 performance package on it along with the raptor hood. You can buy the raptor hood used with both the original WS6 package or without. Only if you want functional ram air on a trans am without the WS6 package you need to buy the custom ram air box that is made for the raptor hood.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to get real technical, the WS7 package was (on the third gen cars) the same as the WS6 package, but with rear drum brakes instead of 4 wheel discs....so in some ways the WS7 was a real option code for a decontented WS6 back in the day.
BTW, just in case anyone cares, they came out with the WS7 package because they couldn't make enough rear disk brake option rear ends to keep up with the demand. The figured the people really wanted the suspension package, so they created the WS6 suspension option with rear drums, aka, WS7. Just a bit of pointless trivia. The rear drums where also lighter and had more total swept area, so may look at the WS7 package as being superior to the WS6 package in some respects.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Philhawk02
If you want to get real technical, the WS7 package was (on the third gen cars) the same as the WS6 package, but with rear drum brakes instead of 4 wheel discs....so in some ways the WS7 was a real option code for a decontented WS6 back in the day.
BTW, just in case anyone cares, they came out with the WS7 package because they couldn't make enough rear disk brake option rear ends to keep up with the demand. The figured the people really wanted the suspension package, so they created the WS6 suspension option with rear drums, aka, WS7. Just a bit of pointless trivia. The rear drums where also lighter and had more total swept area, so may look at the WS7 package as being superior to the WS6 package in some respects.
didnt know that, thanks for the trivia
btw disc brakes > drum brakes :p

imho, at least, the additional stopping power makes up for the weight
Old 01-11-2006, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

I have a 3rd gen Firebird. It is a 1991 L98 TPI Formula. It is a WS6. I however never looked to see if it had a WS7 code on it. It is exactly like he said...It has WS6 suspension...and it had a GM 10 bolt rear end with 7.625 ring gear 3.23:1 with an Auburn limited slip unit, with Drum brakes on the rear. The rear drum is "alluminum" with a steel sleeve for the shoes.....The only disc brake option was a Borg Warner, and I am told is weaker than the GM axle and is rare when it comes to finding parts, or very very expensive to replace parts. I personally destroyed 3 of the GM units with auburn carriers and will never buy an auburn carrier unit again. I have since replaced the carrier with a Zexel Torsen and have not had a problem since. The stopping on the drum brake car has not been an issue.. In fact I feel that my 91 WS6 Formula could outhandle my 02 WS6 T/A....hands down........ At high speeds......over 100, my 91 is far superior a machine in terms of suspension in stock GM configuration.......
Old 01-25-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I bought my WS7 thinking it was something special!!! Ive been ripped!!!!!........

J/K!
Old 05-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Teching In

With respect to the individual RPO codes you have provided, the description for each code is as follows:

WS6 - Appearance and Performance package (The build sheet will specify the specific components and features of this package, but essentially it provides the suspension package, engine size and transmission, interior upgrades, etc.)
WS7 - Simply refers to a vehicle owner's manual
WS9 - Pontiac Firebird Formula package ( again the build sheet will indicate the specific features of this package, but essentially this provides the paint and decals for the Formula package, as well as the additional features that would indicate that this is a performance version of the Pontiac Firebird.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Philhawk02
Almost perfect.
2nd gen not 3rd. 79 was the first year I dont know if it continued after that. Everthing else is right tho
Old 05-03-2006, 12:40 AM
Teching In

There was a guy on ebay for awile that was selling the ws6 style hood with the heat extractors (like on firehawks), and a WS9 badge to put on the back.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Teching In

The info that I collected came from the Pontiac customer relations mananger from the GM website he wasnt specific on weather he was just talking about 4th gen or the other generations.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

god read. so what seperates the ws9 from the rest? Good explination of the ws6-ws7 but more info in the 9?
Old 05-06-2006, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

I thought WS9 was simply the name of an aftermarket hood, such as this one:

Quick Reply: WS7 and WS9